Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2023, 06:01 PM   #1
sierradenali

Rv 50amp generator

50 amp quiet generator to use on the road to power my cougar 23mls 5th wheel.
Any suggestions?
sierradenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:12 PM   #2
Matty Rich

The Honda EU7000 is a tank. Will last forever and is very quiet. But also very pricey. You’re paying for the brand.
Harbor Freights Predator 9500 is pretty good as well. Much cheaper than the Honda. More power than the Honda but also louder than than the Honda.
Never had issues with either one.

Most quiet inverter generators nowadays are good as long as you maintain them.

I have a Onan P4500 portable generator that has over 1000 hrs on it. Still runs like it’s brand new.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:13 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Is your intent to power the trailer with the generator like it was plugged in to shore power? If so you need the size generator that Matty Rich mentioned. Otherwise, you can consider something much smaller that is still capable of running one air conditioner (with a soft start) plus a few other items. Much quieter, less expensive and a lot easier to handle a smaller generator.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 04:51 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Cummins Onan P4500i inverter generator (2 of them, run in parallel). That's what we use. Most of the time, we just run 1 generator. Very quiet, you can stand directly on top of them them (both running) and have a normal conversation without raising your voice. Decibels are around 56 standing right on top of them, normal talking is more than that and a television is much more than that. They are darn good generators, but you also pay a darn good price for them. But it's all a matter of what is most important to you. Cummins has been doing generators for a long, long, long time. In my opinion, they are the best.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:19 AM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Is your intent to power the trailer with the generator like it was plugged in to shore power? If so you need the size generator that Matty Rich mentioned. Otherwise, you can consider something much smaller that is still capable of running one air conditioner (with a soft start) plus a few other items. Much quieter, less expensive and a lot easier to handle a smaller generator.
Like it is plugged into shore power??.....not even close! The Honda EU7000 is still 5000 Watts short of power as compared to plugging into shore power. A 50
A service in the RV has the ability to bring 50A per leg (6000W) times two legs equal 12000 Watts.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:27 AM   #6
Matty Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Like it is plugged into shore power??.....not even close! The Honda EU7000 is still 5000 Watts short of power as compared to plugging into shore power. A 50
A service in the RV has the ability to bring 50A per leg (6000W) times two legs equal 12000 Watts.
The Onan on board is 5500 and can run the whole trailer. I’ve ran my trailer on both a Honda 7000 and Predator 9500 with no problems. Not sure who would need 12000 watts for a fifth wheel.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:43 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Rich View Post
The Onan on board is 5500 and can run the whole trailer. I’ve ran my trailer on both a Honda 7000 and Predator 9500 with no problems. Not sure who would need 12000 watts for a fifth wheel.
The fact that you "can run the whole trailer" on a 5500 watt generator does not mean that it provides THE SAME power input as shore power.

Using a 5500 watt generator to "replace" a 12000 watt source is very much like putting a 3 cylinder 1100 cc diesel engine in a F350 to "replace" the 6700 CC V8 engine. It'll likely get you to town and back, but hitch a heavy load behind it and it'll start having "brown outs and power surges" just like that ONAN strains to keep up when "running the whole trailer"....

There is no way 5500 watts can "replace" 12000 watts. Once you turn on two air conditioners, the refrigerator, using hot water (on electric power), turn on a electric griddle or fry pan and using the microwave, that 5500 watts won't be providing sufficient power to prevent a low voltage/high amperage condition... That is a "perfect storm condition" that puts your compressors in the air conditioners and the refrigerator at risk.....

Simply put, a 5500 watt Onan generator is capable of running a 50 amp RV USING GOOD ENERGY MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES, but is less than one half of what shore power provides (5500 watts vs 12000 watts).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:52 AM   #8
xrated

Quote:
Maybe you can, on your trailer.....mine, not so much. Three A/C units, a microwave, an 1500W electric fireplace, electric water heater, the Charger/Converter....it just ain't happening.

And, I'm NOT suggesting that the OP get a 12Kw generator for his trailer. My statement is just a correction of some wrong information that the Honda 7000 is just like being plugged into shore power, which is simply NOT true.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:55 AM   #9
Matty Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The fact that you "can run the whole trailer" on a 5500 watt generator does not mean that it provides THE SAME power input as shore power.

Using a 5500 watt generator to "replace" a 12000 watt source is very much like putting a 3 cylinder 1100 cc diesel engine in a F350 to "replace" the 6700 CC V8 engine. It'll likely get you to town and back, but hitch a heavy load behind it and it'll start having "brown outs and power surges" just like that ONAN strains to keep up when "running the whole trailer"....

There is no way 5500 watts can "replace" 12000 watts. Once you turn on two air conditioners, the refrigerator, using hot water (on electric power), turn on a electric griddle or fry pan and using the microwave, that 5500 watts won't be providing sufficient power to prevent a low voltage/high amperage condition... That is a "perfect storm condition" that puts your compressors in the air conditioners and the refrigerator at risk.....

Simply put, a 5500 watt Onan generator is capable of running a 50 amp RV USING GOOD ENERGY MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES, but is less than one half of what shore power provides (5500 watts vs 12000 watts).
You’re absolutely right that the Onan and shore power will never be the same.
But the OP asked for a solution. And an Onan 5500 onboard, or an other generator I posted above is a solution.
There is a reason most trailers that come with generators have the Onan 5500.
If Onan made a 12000watt onboard, sign me up. I’ll buy one right now. But that’s not realistic.
You OBVIOUSLY have to watch your power management. If you’re dry camping you also obviously understand power restrictions and the need to conserve power, which is also why trailers come with propane refrigerators and water heaters.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:58 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

The fact that the 5500 can power up the trailer does not mean it can "run the whole trailer". Trying to do that will only harm the components as the gen set becomes overloaded...quickly. 5500 watts cannot do the same thing as 12000 watts. It's more like trying to run a 100A trailer on about 45 amps...not a good thing if you try to run the whole trailer. It would be more like trying to use your trailer, fully equipped with items to utilize 100A (like 2 A/Cs) on a 30A outlet; you will have to juggle what is on if you don't want to continually throw the breaker or damage components.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:07 AM   #11
Matty Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Maybe you can, on your trailer.....mine, not so much. Three A/C units, a microwave, an 1500W electric fireplace, electric water heater, the Charger/Converter....it just ain't happening.

And, I'm NOT suggesting that the OP get a 12Kw generator for his trailer. My statement is just a correction of some wrong information that the Honda 7000 is just like being plugged into shore power, which is simply NOT true.
Maybe I misunderstood what the OP is trying to do here. But sounds like they need an option for Dry Camping. I spend 90% of my time dry camping. I run the Onan on board most of the time and have no problems what’s so ever.

Running 3 ACs and an electric fireplace at the same time seems a little counter productive? If the rig has 3 AC then it should have a power management system to handle all of that. I can run my 2 AC’s and the microwave all together no problem, I also run propane for my fridge and water heater.

Again maybe I missed something here but I’m assuming the whole idea behind this is for dry camping, and you learn your limits of that pretty quick once you’re out there.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:15 AM   #12
SargeW

My last RV was a 40' diesel pusher, all electric. It had an on board 10,000 watt Onan that easily ran the whole RV, including 3 15,000 roof AC units. The key to success was a good on board energy management system (EMS) that would move loads, or turn them off and on as needed.

The point of the story is that you can do the same with a smaller generator, as long as you act as the EMS. Because the reality is that how often are you going to try to power every appliance in the rig at one time? Not often. A smaller sized capable generator will most likely serve you fine, with a little common sense.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:21 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierradenali View Post
50 amp quiet generator to use on the road to power my cougar 23mls 5th wheel.
Any suggestions?
Quote:
You’re absolutely right that the Onan and shore power will never be the same.
But the OP asked for a solution. And an Onan 5500 onboard, or an other generator I posted above is a solution.
There is a reason most trailers that come with generators have the Onan 5500.
If Onan made a 12000watt onboard, sign me up. I’ll buy one right now. But that’s not realistic.
You OBVIOUSLY have to watch your power management. If you’re dry camping you also obviously understand power restrictions and the need to conserve power, which is also why trailers come with propane refrigerators and water heaters.
The OP didn't ask for a solution, he asked for a "50 amp quiet generator to use on the road"

Reading into his post and interpreting what he actually said, leads one to believe that he is not familiar with generators and maybe not with RV's. Asking for a 50 amp quiet generator is asking for something very similar to a 16KW GENERAC home standby system. So, stating, "The Onan on board is 5500 and can run the whole trailer." without any "qualifying limitations" is a statement that someone who is not well versed in RV generator use can easily misinterpret. I can't begin to list all the threads on this forum that ask why their air conditioner stopped working after being used on a "too small generator" and burned up the compressor. So, yes, you CAN run an RV on a 5500 watt generator, but not without careful planning for HOW much stuff you run off that generator. It's not a "like shore power" condition.....

And, if you're serious about wanting a 12000 watt onboard generator, Onan does make several models. In fact, they are standard equipment in many diesel pusher motorhome. Here's the link for the 12.5KW QD Onan RV generator. Only "downside" is that it weighs 770 pounds and requires diesel fuel. But, they do exist, if you've got enough money and payload: https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qd-12500

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:36 AM   #14
Matty Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The OP didn't ask for a solution, he asked for a "50 amp quiet generator to use on the road"

Reading into his post and interpreting what he actually said, leads one to believe that he is not familiar with generators and maybe not with RV's. Asking for a 50 amp quiet generator is asking for something very similar to a 16KW GENERAC home standby system. So, stating, "The Onan on board is 5500 and can run the whole trailer." without any "qualifying limitations" is not what someone who is not well versed in RV generator use can easily misinterpret. I can't begin to list all the threads on this forum that ask why their air conditioner stopped working after being used on a "too small generator" and burned up the compressor. So, yes, you CAN run an RV on a 5500 watt generator, but not without careful planning for HOW much stuff you run off that generator. It's not a "like shore power" condition.....

And, if you're serious about wanting a 12000 watt onboard generator, Onan does make several models. In fact, they are standard equipment in many diesel pusher motorhome. Here's the link for the 12.5KW QD Onan RV generator. Only "downside" is that it weighs 770 pounds and requires diesel fuel. But, they do exist, if you've got enough money and payload: https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qd-12500
I actually never said it would be “like shore power”. But then again I assumed they had a slight understanding of RV’s and basic knowledge of power limits.
So no you can’t run “the whole trailer” meaning every AC, appliance, heater, fryers, the wife’s hair dryer and flat iron, air compressors and a welder at the same time.
So to be clear. There are limits to what you can power simultaneously.
Again. If you dry camp you learn those limits pretty quick.

Anyways. To get back to the OPs questions.
Do you have a “suggestion”? (Sorry for using the word solution).
Old 06-01-2023, 06:40 PM   #15
oldnjrver

If I were you:
I would first decide what type of camping I would use the generator for and my budget.

Secondly I would look at how you use power when camping. You obviously want to do more than just charge your batteries.
If you're in Arizona during the summer you will need more power for the AC units than in NJ. You may not need the full 50 amps.

Third decide how you will deal with the weight of loading/unloading the generator. Two smaller generators can be easier to load but It can be a pain hooking up two generators in parallel, and refueling them as I found out. Covering them when it rained was a nuisance as well.

I originally selected two 2000 watt Champion generators to run in parallel for my 30 amp service because they only weighed 40 lbs each, and they worked very well with load management.. I would run my 13500 btu AC with no problem but it bogged down when I used anything that drew any power like the microwave... The other problem was that they would only run 6 hours or so before having to be refueled.

I ended up dumping them and getting an Onan 4500i inverter generator. It runs everything, with minimal load management, for over 10 hours between refueling and I can lift it high enough to load onto my front hitch carrier.

It all comes down to deciding what you want/need to do when camping and selecting the right tool for the job.

Safe travels and all the best.
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:53 AM   #16
jxnbbl

+1 on this last response. When I read about these larger generators I cringe about putting them into the back of my truck. For us, we have found that we only need a 2500 Champion generator. If I needed/wanted more power I would buy another to use in parallel. The only time that we use it is for AC with a softstart installed before bed/hot night.

Additionally we have an option to run all other AC usage through a 2000W inverter IF it was needed during the AC use. (only once that I can think of)

BUT this only is due to the places we go and the times of year. Currently installing another AC, but that would only be used in the summer when fully hooked up.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:10 AM   #17
gearhead

What I did…bought two Champion 4650 electric start inverter generators. Caught them on sale at Home Depot. Got the parallel kit as well. I had some fuel issues at first but warranty covered it. They are incredibly quiet. Amazes people parked (jammed) next to us at race tracks.
I searched and searched for a way to lift them into the truck bed. They weigh 100# each. Never could find a ramp that would work. I didnt want to drill holes in the truck bed to mount a crane.
Then I found Viking Solution Rack Jack II. It has 300# capacity, comes in 3 easy to store pieces, and is cheap..$180. It mounts into your receiver and swivels to swing the load into the truck.
Vikingsl.com
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator