Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2023, 10:52 PM   #1
snoobler

Norcold "Li op" and beeping display - dead cooling unit?

Have the double door Norcold. Don't have the model number handy.

We have off-grid "shore power" to the RV, and the fridge is on a remote wifi switch, so I can turn it on and off remotely as well as see when the fridge cycles on and off through our Victron VRM system. On 3/15, I observed an anomaly. The fridge went from cycling on and off normally to being on continuously even though the weather was mild:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RHRY9dD17U5PYWho9

As you can see, the fridge was cycling followed by being on for about 11 hours continuously. I noticed this. Turned it off and then turned it back on. The fridge briefly turned itself back on and then went off, never to turn on again.

Finally had an opportunity to visit the RV, and I was greeted with the "Li op" error and continuous beeping.

I goole-fu'd it, and tried the power off, disconnect, magnet rest, etc., and nothing worked. The unit would turn on very briefly, but then the limit switch red light would illuminate, and it would stop drawing AC power.

I bypassed the limit switch and ran the fridge on propane for about 4 hours. The cooling fans cycled periodically. Temperature dropped by 0°F. Honestly, I think it actually increased a few because the day got hotter.

Is it safe to assume the cooling unit has failed? I'm accustomed to the smell of ammonia in my prior two experiences with cooling unit failures, but this one failed 7 weeks ago, and I would expect any odor, if present, has dissipated.

Thanks,

Steve