Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
dwdlt

Rascals Taking up Residence in my TT

I'm taking my trailer out for first time this year. I keep it in a 20x40 pole barn. I pulled it out and opened up yesterday; low and behold, the little rodent "squatters" are back again.....

I have read all the post and done multiple searches on getting rid of mice in a camper, so not soliciting advise right now. This post for merely for your entertainment and reading pleasure!

When I put it away in the fall of last year, I had thought I did enough to keep the mice out, but I recon not.

So, I have cleaned and sanitized the whole trailer, and this weekend, I will be sealing every crook and crevice that they could possible use to get in the trailer....And, I have practiced my best "Elmer Fudd" impersonation!

In short, "I'm going mouse hunting".....I'm gonna evict them all! Ugh!
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Tbos

Hope it goes well. Fortunately my neighbor has a big cat that helps keep them in control.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
cookinwitdiesel

Posts like this are what inspired me to put in the ParkPower 30A conversion kit. Sorry for your troubles! I recommend a cat, they are fun when not mouse hunting too
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
MSB1766

You need to seal up the bottom of the camper. There are wide gaps between the frame and the under body corrugated plastic. I sealed up everything with expanding foam and caulk, inside, under and every little hole where there is a pipe or wire.
MSB1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
MarkEHansen

I read on here that sealing up the underbelly like that is not so good. There are heating ducts in there to keep plumbing from freezing and the warm air needs an exit route or it won't circulate property.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Posts like this are what inspired me to put in the ParkPower 30A conversion kit. Sorry for your troubles! I recommend a cat, they are fun when not mouse hunting too
I installed the 30amp shore power conversion kit also. I hope you are successful in your quest!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
ken56

Inspect for damage. The little buggers chew up everything. Check the electrical and plumbing closely.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
captbozy

Mice don’t invade for food only. Clean is good and exclusion is needed. After that add bait in secure devices inside and out.
captbozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to consider:

Most "cheap wire insulation" (think where Keystone buys their wire to build trailers) is manufactured with soy oil rather than petroleum. It's "sustainable" and "cheaper" that way. What does that mean to the average RV'er? Well, soy beans are a "natural food source" for mice, chipmunks and rats, so when they smell "soy based insulation" they 'naturally" want to chew it, fill their little cheek pouches and carry it back to their nest.....

End result for us: Gnawed wiring, shorted circuits and "rat poop" left behind as a thank you card......

How to fix it? Not sure, but as long as our wiring smells like their food, it ain't gonna end purty........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
travelin texans

Rascals? Alfalfa, Spanky, Buckwheat, Darla & the rest of the gang?
Oh dear! Just showed my age!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:16 AM   #11
cookinwitdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Something to consider:

Most "cheap wire insulation" (think where Keystone buys their wire to build trailers) is manufactured with soy oil rather than petroleum. It's "sustainable" and "cheaper" that way. What does that mean to the average RV'er? Well, soy beans are a "natural food source" for mice, chipmunks and rats, so when they smell "soy based insulation" they 'naturally" want to chew it, fill their little cheek pouches and carry it back to their nest.....

End result for us: Gnawed wiring, shorted circuits and "rat poop" left behind as a thank you card......

How to fix it? Not sure, but as long as our wiring smells like their food, it ain't gonna end purty........
Laughably, the most high tech data centers around the world all have mousetraps in the corners for just this reason lol
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #12
Glenda Clark

I have never had ugly squatters in my TT.
BUT , I have two Cats with me when I go camping.

2016 Chevy Silverado , 1500.
5.3 liter V8
Glenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #13
atkinsb3

[IMG]C:\Users\bill.atkinson\Pictures\DeskTop_Pics\Creat ures_in_the_Intake (190417).jpg[/IMG]

From a home HVAC replacement...but thought it was appropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Creatures_in_the_Intake (190417).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	21439  

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #14
mcmeadows1

We park our 5th wheel on gravel in our backyard, which is fully enclosed by a wall. The RV is constantly plugged into a 20 amp outlet, we have laid led string lights on the ground around the RV, and the lights are constantly lit. The string lights encompass the landing gears, tires, rear stabilizer jacks, and the power card where it rises up into the RV.

In addition to the lights, our dog has the run of the yard, and our two cats exit and enter our sticks and bricks home as they please.

Between the lights, dog, and cats, we have nary a problem with rodents in the RV.

Additionally, we don’t store food or drink in the RV, and from March through November, we have all points of the RV, which touch the ground, sprayed monthly by the exterminator when he sprays the sticks and bricks home.

Finally, I make it a point to keep the grass and weeds cut low and trimmed back from the RV, so as not to encourage insects from getting too close to the RV, which might, in turn, cause rodents from following the insects to, and into, the RV.
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #15
lmf580

Also put pure 100% peppermint oil on cotton balls or paper towels. I do this when I store for the winter. Use several towels or cotton balls, scattered threw the unit. You can get the peppermint oil on ebay. The brand name is "NOW" essential oils.
So far (7 yrs) I haven't had a problem. I refresh the oil once or twice during the storage time.
This stuff is real strong, it clears your nose up while you are applying it.
lmf580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
dwdlt

Thanks. I sealed it all up over the weekend. Took a while as there are plenty of spots these little guys can get in
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 04-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #17
dwdlt

Good deal. Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try as well
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 04-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #18
dwdlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeadows1 View Post
We park our 5th wheel on gravel in our backyard, which is fully enclosed by a wall. The RV is constantly plugged into a 20 amp outlet, we have laid led string lights on the ground around the RV, and the lights are constantly lit. The string lights encompass the landing gears, tires, rear stabilizer jacks, and the power card where it rises up into the RV.

In addition to the lights, our dog has the run of the yard, and our two cats exit and enter our sticks and bricks home as they please.

Between the lights, dog, and cats, we have nary a problem with rodents in the RV.

Additionally, we don’t store food or drink in the RV, and from March through November, we have all points of the RV, which touch the ground, sprayed monthly by the exterminator when he sprays the sticks and bricks home.

Finally, I make it a point to keep the grass and weeds cut low and trimmed back from the RV, so as not to encourage insects from getting too close to the RV, which might, in turn, cause rodents from following the insects to, and into, the RV.
All good points. We have had our trailer stored in our pole barn with power connected, but never left light on or anything. We cleaned the trailer out completely. I have sealed the entire thing, and I now leave lights on as well. We did get the pole barn treated by exterminator as well. It's been a few weeks since we found these critters had set up camp in my trailer.

I checked it tonight after work, and no sign of any further activity.
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 04-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #19
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Hope it goes well. Fortunately my neighbor has a big cat that helps keep them in control.
Yep, me too... I have several wild alley cats hanging around. My place is rat/mouse free.
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #20
24vctd

I got them in my Denali when elk hunting and had to mouse trap about six of them. I got my trailer sealed up well now and no mice’s. I back it up by putting Irish spring bar soap chunks about the trailer have read they don’t like the smell .
24vctd is offline   Reply With Quote