Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
El_Sifon

Keystone Lardeo

I just purchased a new camper trailer. I've owned two motor homes but this is my first camper trailer. Everything is great but I have on small problem. The black tank indicator never shows 2/3 full or Full but it does indicate when it's 1/3 full. The gray tank for the Island kitchen works well but I've never filled the bathroom gray tank so I'm not sure if that one works either.

So I pulled the panel off the wall and found that there's one small green wire leading to the indicator which is not connected to anything. It's the one right smack in the middle of the LED display circuit board. All the other wires are connected to the wire bundle coming through the wall from the tanks below so there's no loose wire that I can connect the green wire to.

I full time and would hate to haul this thing all the way back to the dealer for one small wire. If I knew where to attach it to I could do that myself and save my self a lot of trouble. Would anyone know where I could get a schematic of the tank sensors to the led display? Or has anyone else had this problem and found the solution?

I was going to post photos but I have no idea what the URL of my images are since they're on my hard drive.
El_Sifon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
rjrelander

Don't know about the wiring but for posting photos see:
Posting Photos on the Forum

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Frank G

What model Laredo do you have? I am tempted to pull mine off the wall and check on the Green Wire. The Green wire may be a spare and not intended to be hooked up. If there is a name on the indicator panel, google it. Also in the enclosed paper work they may have included the instruction sheet for the level indicator.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here! Someone will be able help out I'm sure. I can't believe Keystone would just give away a free wire. It must attach to something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Keystone Lardeo

Depending on how many tanks you have and how many indicators you have on the panel, there may be a wire that is not used.

As an example: let's say your panel "shows":

1 fresh water tank

2 gray water tanks

2 black tanks

And your unit has:

1 fresh tank

2 gray tanks

1 black tank.

In the above example the monitor panel will have 7 wires and only 6 will be used. If any tank only reads 1/3 full, the issue is more than likely either the wires fell off or are loose AT THE TANK! Or the sensor pack AT THE TANK has failed. Have you filled the black tank to the point it is coming up the pipe at the toilet?

I would disregard the green wire for now, the coroplast needs to come down and the tank accessed. If you can do that, make sure which tank is which by following the drains back. As a rule black tanks have a 3" outlet and grays have a 1 1/2" or 2" outlet, but I have seen 3" on grays.

Once you have access to the black tank, locate the side with the sensors and wires attached. The bottom one is ground. Try jumping from that sensor to the frame, if that fixes it just put another ground on. If not then start jumering from that sensor to the other ones going up the tank. If jumpering doesn't indicate, then the sensor pack is probably bad. If it does then the sensors in the tank are probably bad. Either way is an easy fix.

If this is something you want to attempt, I'll be more than happy to give you further instructions.

Just some added info: if the sensor packs and monitor panel are KIB, the jumper test won't work on the FRESH tank. You have to use a resistor ( can't remember how many ohms) in the jumper as they have changed the boards to accommodate minerals in the fresh water.

Are you confused now?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
BethH

Had the exact same issue on our 2017 premier. Turned out to be a broken wire way down by the black tank. Pretty involved repair done under warranty. Works great now. All of the other sensors read fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BethH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
El_Sifon

Thanks. That's a lot of good information. I asked the Guys at Dixie RV to check other Travel Trailers and they confirmed that the green wire is not used.
After a few more weeks of use the Black tank indicator lights began working. So everything is good now.
El_Sifon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone