Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #21
campingcpl

We use a pizza stone and seems to work pretty well. I raised the rack up slightly and that helped also.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #22
Outbackmel

Oppppsss My Bad

I made a mistake.....said 78 to 80...my apologies. It was 81 yesterday. Much cooler today at predicted 80 high. Going golfing! Let's see; pack sunsceen, and water....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
I made a mistake.....said 78 to 80...my apologies. It was 81 yesterday. Much cooler today at predicted 80 high. Going golfing! Let's see; pack sunsceen, and water....
YEAH!!! YEAH!!! YEAH!!! Enjoy that 81 today... In July when you're inside and running both A/C's to stay cool, around here, it'll be 81 on the hot days and 75 most days, so while you're inside, we'll be outside with "our sunscreen" and water

I do wish we could have a "weekend" away from the white though... Would be sooooooo nice if it would all melt for a couple of days, get up to 80, and then maybe cool down a bit.... Hmmmm maybe Florida next Feb??? Gotta see about that

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #24
jje1960

Cake bottom

We've never burned a cake bottom with that oven in our SRX. Wait one... that's right, have never baked a cake in there! The fridge cools beer pretty nicely though.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #25
Outbackmel

JRTJH Michigan

Well, Mr. Michigan, FYI, we are only wintering out here in the warm Arizona sun.

We spend our spring, summer and fall in the Georgia mountains!

Check out our permanent home base: www.rranchga.com

We have enjoyed Michigan visits in past summers and it's a wonderful place to VISIT and LEAVE

BTW, golfed GREAT today....more next week...

Gosh, love this rough outdoor camping!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Just keep rubbing it in, OBM... If we ever wind up camping next to each other, you gotta buy the first adult beverage

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
Festus2
Site Team

JRTJH and Outbackmel..........
I am wondering if I should don my referee's zebra shirt in an effort to keep you two from coming to blows and to keep this thread from becoming buried in a Michigan snow drift. On one hand, we have a member sitting in the sun drinking a cold beer and another member who wishes he was in the sun drinking a cold beer. What to do?
What about the burnt cake in the oven? Have both of you forgotten about it sitting there?
I am thinking that a cake in the oven has taken a back seat to a cold one in the hand.
Time to close this thread? Time to call "time" and have both of you go to the "time out room"?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Nah, Festus. I'm not "angry" or even about to be, and I don't think OBM is either. I will say that I "have a little green" starting to grow around the edges, (couldn't be envy ???). We could have gone south (or west) as well, but chose to stay "frozen" and play with the winter toys, which may not have been the best choice given the limited snowfall and "screwy" temperatures we've had. It would be very nice to be in the sun, with a sand wedge in hand (my most used club) waiting for the DW to finish baking that cake in the RV oven. <G>

Speaking of burned cake bottoms, any time you have an open flame on a sheet of metal 2" away from the bottom of a cake pan, it's going to be hotter there than on the top of the cake (indirect heat) so a pizza stone (that doesn't block the ventilation holes along the sides and back of the oven floor) could help, but I don't think any oven that small is going to bake like a 5 cu ft oven at home. We've found that the countertop convection oven at home has the same sort of "hot spot" problem as the RV oven. I think it's more size related than performance related. Pizza stone probably is the only "work around" While travelling, DON'T leave it on the porcelian oven bottom, it'll scratch and chip it while in motion. That'll make it near impossible to keep the oven floor clean if you spill or if baking food drips on the oven floor.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #29
Halibutman214

I know this thread is old but non the less valuable and some with new rigs may want to take a read. When I saw we had an oven in the new rig I was really happy cause I love my biscuits and gravy in the morning. However I was really disappointed when after trying several combos the biscuits were always pretty much burned on the bottom but this may be the fix I was looking for. I do have a question however. For those that are using the pizza stone are you baking directly on it or in a pan? Also where do you have the oven rack, top or bottom?
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #30
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibutman214 View Post
I know this thread is old but non the less valuable and some with new rigs may want to take a read. When I saw we had an oven in the new rig I was really happy cause I love my biscuits and gravy in the morning. However I was really disappointed when after trying several combos the biscuits were always pretty much burned on the bottom but this may be the fix I was looking for. I do have a question however. For those that are using the pizza stone are you baking directly on it or in a pan? Also where do you have the oven rack, top or bottom?
We will bake directly on the stone and if we need to bake something that will require a dish we have a stone dish that we use. As for the rack I just raised it up one notch above the lowest setting. That still leaves just enough room to put the stone baking dish in but yet isn't sitting right down on the flame. I also find that if you cook with a stone you should pull it out before it is completely cooked and let it sit on the stone a few more minutes before serving. The stone stays hot enough to finish cooking without having to stay in the over.

Phil & Janine & Lady
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #31
f6bits

My pizza stone sits on the metal below the grill. My rack is on the bottom setting. It’s been working fine for me.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
rhagfo

DW baked a beautiful 2 layer cake in our oven with no issues no stone just middle rack not at bottom. We also had cookies and a pork roast with no burning issues.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #33
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
DW baked a beautiful 2 layer cake in our oven with no issues no stone just middle rack not at bottom. We also had cookies and a pork roast with no burning issues.
My oven doesn't have a middle rack. It's called the Wedgewood Vision and only has upper and lower. I've had two other RV's with ovens and they worked great but I can't seem to get this thing to bake worth a darn.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #34
ktmracer

Quote:
My oven doesn't have a middle rack. It's called the Wedgewood Vision and only has upper and lower. I've had two other RV's with ovens and they worked great but I can't seem to get this thing to bake worth a darn.
there are two common oven sizes. 17" and 21". I suspect from the description you have the 17".

Having used both, the 17" is MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult of an oven too use successfully. the top rack is way to close to the top of the oven for anything other than cookies and maybe muffins. the bottom rack is way to close to the burner, and isn't much use by itself.

with the 17" we found using a pizza stone or airbake cookie sheet with the top rack was ok, but then it limits what you can bake. Even with a pizza stone or airbake pan, the bottom shelf was hit and miss.

With the 21" on the second (middle) position we can bake cookies, muffins etc w/o a pizza stone or airbake pan, but it does work better with one. And even on the middle position you can bake cakes etc.

also the 21" has more space below the burner for broiling and I think it also helps keep the shelf above the burner from getting so hot and burning stuff.

the 17" seems to be common in travel trailers, the 21" in 5th wheels and motor homes.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
rhagfo

Quote:
Ours is a magic Chief and we are very happy with it.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #36
azlee56

I went to look at the pizza stones, since I had never heard of them. Which one is the best one to get. I googled it and the prices go from 9.00 to 45.00ish prices. Can you educate me (I really suck in this domestic stuff).
Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #37
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
I went to look at the pizza stones, since I had never heard of them. Which one is the best one to get. I googled it and the prices go from 9.00 to 45.00ish prices. Can you educate me (I really suck in this domestic stuff).
This is exactly why I'm going to get the 12"X12+ terracotta as the OP suggested. I'm not as paranoid as some about lead and the like and since I won't be cooking on it, it's cheap, available, and seems to work I'm going to give it a whirl.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #38
azlee56

thanks! What an education I am getting with this rv stuff.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #39
gbsb

I put a 12x12 in my oven and the first time we used it it poped and broke right down the middle. Any body else have this problem or just a bad picese of tile
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #40
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
My wife is a big Pampered Chef fan so we have a lot of their stoneware. We have had really good luck with them. Here is a link.

Pampered Chef Stoneware

Phil & Janine & Lady