Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
bsmith0404

Pagosa Springs, CO

Headed to Pagosa Springs, CO in a couple weeks. Planning on taking I-84 north from Santa Fe, NM. Anyone ever run that road? Any issues with a 40' 5er? I'm assuming it should be a good route, but would appreciate any info if someone has actually driven it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
jrp

I drive 84 frequently, its a good 2 lane road. You'll do some up and down and a few twisty sections, but no major pass or steep grades. Its very light traffic except at the peak of summer, and once you leave Espanola, not many services until you get to Pagosa, except the small tourist town of Chama.

PS: we had a foot of snow on Wolf Creek Pass this past weekend, but the spring storms should be over soon.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Thanks for the info. That's about what I assumed it would be, but it's good to have confirmation. I'm headed up Memorial Day and staying through the following weekend. I'm hoping weather should be good by then, but at 8k feet anything is possible.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
gearhead

Been a while, but like jrp said it gets a bit twisty around Chama and Buckles Lake area. A few sharp switchbacks.
Seems there were some long grades north of Santa Fe.
Your Duramax should be good.
I'm way overdue to go back.
Where you staying? I'm wanting to go to Sportsmens up by Williams Creek Reservoir. Used to elk hunt up there.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Going to Sportsman's. It looked like the nicest campground in the area, about 18 miles away from town and wooded, my kind of place. When I made the reservation John informed me that they just redid the paved portion of the road last year and it's in good shape. I just hope it's dry on our travel days, don't like the idea of going down a muddy gravel road and having to wash all of that off the RV.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

If you're coming into Santa Fe on the interstate and go N on 84 (St Francis street) is usually very congested so be prepared for that. Heading N out of town stay in the middle. The right lane gets jammed up a lot. You've got a couple of pretty good grades between Santa Fe and Espanola but they won't be a problem.

In Espanola keep your eye peeled for the 84 cutoff to the left. It can sneak up on you and you will have a hard time getting in the turn lane. From Espanola to Chama you've got some long grades but not too bad and they have passing lanes on most of them. From Chama to the CO border you will be good to go but no passing lanes. At the CO border you will hit one steep grade about 5 miles in and then it's just twisty turny until you get to Pagosa.

Piedra Rd. to Sportsmen's can be a bit rough (pot holes). They were working on it when we were there in the fall so maybe it's complete. When the pavement ends you still have quite a few miles of gravel road but it's really like a highway for a good portion of the way. If it is wet you will get dirty though. The road is in great shape around Sportsmen's (when we were there). They keep that road up really well. Be aware that the road will be very busy if it's the holiday and folks will drive that gravel portion at 55-60mph so watch for flying gravel (it's the road to Williams Creek and Williams Creek Resv - lots of fishermen, campers and hikers).

We've been in Pagosa on Memorial Day and Sept/Oct for the last several years (will be in FL this year) and the weather is generally good. Get you a fishing license and hit Williams Creek and/or the lake (and a zillion other places) if you like trout. Hope you have fun, we always do.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
bsmith0404

thanks for all of the info! We are going up on Memorial Day and spending the week so we hope all of the traffic is going the other direction. Maybe even cleared out for the most part by the time we get there. Plan on doing some hiking to the falls in the area as well as white water rafting.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

The week will probably be pretty busy up there. There are several falls in the area. Right down the road from Sportsmen's is Piedra Falls. It is a really nice drive and hike.

Silver Falls is on the east fork of the San Juan as you go toward South Fork - not spectacular but a nice drive (along the San Juan) and a pretty little hike. There's another fall right on the highway just before you head up the mountains to Wolf Creek Pass (name escapes me) that is very pretty and has a nice little hike up the mountain.

On the road toward the lake from Sportsmen's there's a parking lot on your left (right after you cross one of the bridges on Williams Creek) up on a hill. You can take off from there and go various places including some ice caves that are pretty neat. At the end of the road past Williams reservoir there is a campground - can't remember the name (used by horsemen) with trails into the Weiminuch? wilderness. Get a map and go out of Pagosa, back on 84 and take the hike to Opal lake - very beautiful. My daughter, grandgirls, wife and puppy love that trail. There are so many beautiful places to go there it's difficult to cover them. If you're going to be there a while you may want to go to the cliff dwellings on the other side of Durango. Telluride, Ouray, Silverton....so many places. If you're interested in "stuff", the federal Super Fund project at Summitville (I believe the largest if I recall) toward South Fork (up in the mountains) is interesting - mines that used arsenic to separate the gold from the ore; subsequently killed everything downstream. Take Park Creek road off of the South Fork highway. Have fun - we love it there. I forgot the springs; you should go there as well and spend a bit of time. Multiple pools with varying temperatures - you might like it....I don't. Mountain time is good for me.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
bsmith0404

Sounds like multiple trips are in store.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
gearhead

There is a car wash in town that has a bay tall enough for a RV: Mud Shaver Car Wash at 950 Rosita. It's on the north side of 160, west side of town. I haven't used it. I found it on the 'net when we were planning a trip there.
http://www.mudshaver.com/

I think the first time I went there was about 1978 or 79. Only the first mile of Piedra Rd was paved. Just past the condos, maybe. Sportsmans was a small store that had showers. The HUB burgers was the best place to eat.

Sourdough: did we ever remember the name of the Mexican restaurant in Chama? It was out on the highway, and then moved to new building in "downtown" Chama. The owner lady had a big picture of Ninfa Lorenzo....wife just told me....Vera's. Used to be good.

We used to elk hunt camp west of Williams Cr. Reservoir at the dead end of Forest Rd. #987, by the little pond. The road continues as a trail and you may get decent views of Weminuche Creek and valley from the top of the ridge. Look for elk in that park below the big boulder. LOL
Many years ago I hiked up Williams Creek from the horse corral at the north end of the lake. Not sure if I want to do that now.
Also nice scenery for a drive if you go west from the Weminuche Creek valley on FR 631. Lots of switchbacks going up. Gravel road. Shouldn't be much traffic unless they are logging.
There are a few black bears in the area.
Let us know how you liked it.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
bsmith0404

Really appreciate all of the info guys. Will definitely provide a follow up report.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Once you get set up make a trip into town and go to the Forest Service office. It's right on the highway (60?) on the corner (it has a big sign plus it looks like all the Forest Service offices out there) - in the vicinity of the thrift store (across the street). Get a forest map of the San Juans. It will show all of the roads, forest roads, streams etc. I don't leave home without one no matter where we go. I will say it didn't do me much good one time when I decided to drive over Elwood pass. When I dropped off the other side and hit a T I didn't have any idea what road went where and the road had extended past what the map showed. I was just going to toss a coin and keep driving but forgot about the nav system in the vehicle. Put in South Fork and I'll be John Brown if it didn't know where I was at and take me out (20 or more miles). It was a good thing though; if I recall the other direction was like 43 miles of dirt roads - or go back over the pass.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
gearhead

Winter storm warning up there this weekend. Might be a little leftover snow for you next weekend.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:15 AM   #14
gkainz

I'm in Leadville this weekend and there was snow warnings for last night and today. Didn't happen last night, and this morning's sunrise was beautiful.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #15
jrp

We did have a snow storm last night, a few inches here in South Fork and more up on Wolf Creek Pass. But now its 60 and most of the snow is gone here at 8,200 ft. This has been the wetest, coldest and cloudiest spring since I've been coming here. Usually by this time I'm hiking at 10,000 ft in shorts & T shirt, but still in my fleece & goretex this year.

PS: with our recent drought & wildfires, no one around here is complaining about the extra moisture
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Had a great trip to Pagosa Springs. Really enjoyed Sportsman's Campground, the kids played a lot of pool in the lodge. It rained each afternoon, but the mornings were great. Went hiking to Piedra Falls and down along the Piedra River. Also did some horseback riding and white water rafting. The road in was a little sloppy, rained just before we arrived. We took our time 10-15 mph and everything stayed pretty clean. We saw deer, elk, turkey, wolf, and fox. Beautiful area up there, we will definitely be going back.

My only complaint was the tree branches overhanging the driveway at sportsman's. It's a bit tight trying to maneuver a 40' 5er through there and a couple pine branches found the side. Now I have to get the buffer out and remove some scratches. Will be providing some feedback to them, hopefully the next time we go they have them cut back.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE