Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Bubba777

Need help ASAP. Ac not working

I have a outback camper the ac only comes on whe move to 60 degrees. The shop said they fixed it but oblivious it isn't . 90 degrees in camper and ac compressor will not come on I till I swing it to 60 degrees anyhelp

Thanks Ryan Hebert
Bubba777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Sounds more like the thermostat than the A/C. If it works when you adjust the thermostat to 60 (all the way down), but no other setting, There's a problem either with the contacts on the thermostat or with the di-electric spring that moves the contacts as the temp gets warmer. Try cleaning the contacts with a piece of fine emery cloth, if that doesn't work, then probably will need to replace the thermostat.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Bubba777

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sounds more like the thermostat than the A/C. If it works when you adjust the thermostat to 60 (all the way down), but no other setting, There's a problem either with the contacts on the thermostat or with the di-electric spring that moves the contacts as the temp gets warmer. Try cleaning the contacts with a piece of fine emery cloth, if that doesn't work, then probably will need to replace the thermostat.
Thanks bud I will try right now
Old 08-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
therink

Sounds like thermostat issue. The ac only comes on when the thermostat tells it to dp so. Walmart/LowesHD have simple $20 Hunter digital thermostats. Very easy to switch out. Problem solved real easy plus they are much more accurate. First mod I made on mine.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
wms

We have a 2014 Keystone Passport Grand Touring 2650bh. The air conditioner started acting crazy on our 2nd trip out, such as not coming on when it should and starting and stopping for consecutive times. Sometimes it stayed on and had to be manually turned off, but for the most part it would cool the camper once, then not come back on until it was unbearably hot, or we manually turned it on. We called the dealership on our way back home and asked if we could swing by for a quick check. Turns out it definitely was a faulty thermostat. They didn't have one in stock, so they pulled one from another camper and got us back on the road. This was of course under warranty. It sounds like you may be having some of the same issues.
wms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Bob Landry

Another possibility for a temporary fix, and if you have the wiring diagram for the unit, is to remove the thermostat and manually connect the wires from the bi-metal switch that turn the unit on. It won't hurt it to run non-stop and it beats sweltering in a hot trailer. If you don't have the manual, a call to either Dometic or RVP would get you the necessary information. All the bi-metal component is is an on/off switch.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Bubba777

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Sounds like thermostat issue. The ac only comes on when the thermostat tells it to dp so. Walmart/LowesHD have simple $20 Hunter digital thermostats. Very easy to switch out. Problem solved real easy plus they are much more accurate. First mod I made on mine.
Is that a 12 or 24 volt thermostat. And if 24 will it still work?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

This is the one I bought. Couldn't tell you if 12v or 24v.... It just works... Takes a single double A battery.

Works for both furnace and A/C. Wired up only the "high" fan setting for ac..
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Hehe. My clock is off by an hour.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Bubba777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
This is the one I bought. Couldn't tell you if 12v or 24v.... It just works... Takes a single double A battery.

Works for both furnace and A/C. Wired up only the "high" fan setting for ac..
Cool deal thanks a million
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Bubba777

Found out can't put a digital one have to change the board