Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
apr67

Driving with Jalousie window open on kleystone Bullet.

I intend to have our two largish dogs in our new 294BHS sometimes while we are towing. Obviously they will need airflow in the warmer months, and while roof vents will help, open windows help also.

Does anyone know of problems with partially open jalousie windows when driving on Bullets?
apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I don't know about the windows but, the vents if opened can and will get ripped off. I know first hand. I left one open alittle and found it open fully and I lowerd it to alittle open again, It was gone when checked at next stop.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
davidcyndi

Please dont do this!

"AUTISM IS NOT A TRAGEDY. IGNORANCE IS THE TRAGEDY."

https://i.imgur.com/3IyXHzt.png
davidcyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I would not travel with my neighbor's cat in a TT.(and I really dislike that cat) If it is illegal for humans to ride in trailers it should also be for pets. Some states allow passengers in fifth-wheels but only with two-way communication. Please .... if you love your animals as much as they love you, don't do it, even with a window open. One of them could get injured and you would not know until your destination. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
apr67

Well its either in the trailer or in the bed of a pickup truck. The bed of the truck is a hell of a lot less safe. Tons of animals are hauled in trailers every day, I don't think this is a big issue.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
apr67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I don't know about the windows but, the vents if opened can and will get ripped off. I know first hand. I left one open alittle and found it open fully and I lowerd it to alittle open again, It was gone when checked at next stop.
Vent covers are a must if you intend to drive with vents open. Vent covers are a must for lots of other reasons too.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
GaryWT

My friend use to crate their dogs in the bed of the truck and never had an issue. I would imagine they would be tossed around pretty good in the trailer.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
Well its either in the trailer or in the bed of a pickup truck. The bed of the truck is a hell of a lot less safe. Tons of animals are hauled in trailers every day, I don't think this is a big issue.
If a dog is untethered in the back of an open pick up, then the owner should be charged with cruelty to animals. On the other hand, if the dog is secured in a crate and if possible in a canopy-covered pick up, then that might be the best and safest way of transporting your two dogs.

With all due respect, I can't agree with you when you say that hauling animals in a trailer isn't a big issue. If you love your dogs and are concerned about keeping them safe, having them loose in a moving TT is not in their best interests. Just because a lot of other people do it, doesn't make it right.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Yak

There will be a ton of dust in the camper if you leave a window or vent open
Old 03-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
JerJan10

We accidently left the right side bedroom window open (don't know how much) and the constant buffeting demolished the latch and the wind tore off the curtain on the inside. I think that we were lucky that the window was even still there after a day of travel with it open. Had to refasten the curtains and restring the blind. Now that window is permanently closed.
JerJan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
x96mnn

The side windows are not designed to take the type of airflow that would be forced through them while driving. You can buy AirMax vents that attach to the roof vents that would allow you to open those vents about half way. Cost around $30 each.

You will want to make sure they stay off the slide areas as their weight on the slides plus adding the bounce could/will cause damage to the trailer.

I would also put a wireless thermostat in the back so you can watch the temp from your tow rig. My camper hits over a 100 in 90 weather easy. These thermostats are not big money and can be found for less then $30.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
chuck&gail

Just remember if it rains the air suction from ANY opening will pull in water thru the tiniest crack. Of course dirt and dust are also an issue, but a lesser one.

If it was a choicer between the TT or staying home, I'll bet the dogs would choose the TT. I'd tie down crates in the FRONT of the TT and let them ride there.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
halfprice

We travel with the two 4lb dogs in the front and the two 80lb Labs in the back seat.

If I tried to put any of the dogs in the 5th my wife would kill me. I dont like the dogs in the truck but its that or leave them at home and thats not happenning.

My Labs do love riding in the back of the truck bed, tethered of course, but that can't be done because of the 5th.

Like others have said please don't do this unless they are crated.

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #14
Ruffus

Angry Riding in a TT or 5ver

I'll tell you what. You get in your trailer and have someone tow it for a few hundred or even a couple hundred miles and see how you like it. I'll garranty you won't like it. It most states it would be animal neglect. If you can't travel with them then leave them at home. Just my two cents worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #15
apr67

I've actually ridden in a towed trailer myself. It's really not that bad.

Dogs will be crated and the crates will be secured to the trailer.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #16
cabinfever

IMO...crated and secured towards the front of the TT will be fine. If the ride back there was that bad, the lcd tvs and many other things we carry would be junk quickly.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
apr67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
IMO...crated and secured towards the front of the TT will be fine. If the ride back there was that bad, the lcd tvs and many other things we carry would be junk quickly.
They will be secured towards the middle, near the wheels. That is the best ride in a trailer as it has the least motion. And monitoring won't be an issue, Video baby monitors are wonderful.