Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Forrest

Sitting on Slide

I have a 2005 FW with the table and seats on a slide. Can anyone advise me if it is OK to set at the table while the slide is not extended? What provides the support in an unextended situation?
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I have a 2005 FW with the table and seats on a slide. Can anyone advise me if it is OK to set at the table while the slide is not extended? What provides the support in an unextended situation?
The quick answer to your question is "nothing".

Slides are generally not designed to support much weight when in the retracted position. Part of the support design is to have the entire perimeter of the interior slide opening pressed firmly against the interior wall.

Without this, you only have a portion of the support necessary to support humans. Aliens maybe, but no humans.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Agree with SAD. The slide floor, when retracted, is not fully resting or sitting flush on the main floor of the RV. There is a space between the slide floor and main floor. With additional weight, there is a possibility that the slide floor could be pulled out of the sides to which it is fastened.

I believe there is a caution in the Keystone manual about not sitting or standing on the slide floor when it is in.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
KanTC

Owners Manuals prior to 2009 are no longer listed on the manufacturer website, but here's a previous forum discussion
(& there are others) about the same topic. http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=856

We were given the same *warning* by the dealer in 2007 when we purchased our previous 5th wheel.

Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
warsw

Would this hold true to using the bed when the slide is in? I have crawled across the bed a few times while the slide was in. Could I have done any damage without knowing it?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsw View Post
Would this hold true to using the bed when the slide is in? I have crawled across the bed a few times while the slide was in. Could I have done any damage without knowing it?
My guess is no - although I wouldn't make a habit of it.

The difference between the bedroom slide and the living is the floor. Living room is flush - so when you pull the slide in, it raises. Extend slide, it lowers.

The bed slide doesn't have this same action since the floor isn't level/flush with RV floor.

When wife and I have pulled over to rest, we extend only the bed. So we sleep on it in the extended position. The hydro valves allow us to avoid sliding them all out so they're not in the way of other vehicles parking.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Forrest

Cool sitting on slide

Thanks everyone for all the feeed back. I purchased my FW used and became concerned when I was advised by a friend. Now I think my next effort is to inspect the walls to see if there has been any damage. It is a 2005 Hornet 245RK model with the dinnete on the slide. I have owned it for about 3 years and have been setting on it when ever we stopped while traveling. I'll post again after I have completed my inspections.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
mhs4771

Many of the Bedroom slide support the foot of the bed with rollers, thus would be ok for sitting or sleeping on with the slide in. As has been said, Living room/dinning slides are not supported when in and there have been reports on some forums of the slide floor pulling away from the end walls where attached because of no support when in.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote