Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
dabadas

where to put screws

hello I have a keystone outback how is the best way to know where the studs are in the wall? I want to mount a sidekick grill thanks
dabadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Bluewater

I've noticed when I go out early in the moring when the dew has collected on the sides it does not stick very well where the studs are. Not much to go by but maybe measure from a window frame to the stud you want? Just a thought..
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
outwest

I haven't tried it yet, but when I was on phone with Keystone the other day, I was told that a standard stud finder would work to find the aluminum studs. I forget the width of the studs, but she warned that they were very narrow. She also cautioned about thin walls and screw length.
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
mecfd67

Where to put the screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabadas View Post
hello I have a keystone outback how is the best way to know where the studs are in the wall? I want to mount a sidekick grill thanks
How about you put the screws to the government seems they are always putting the screws to us
mecfd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
SlowPoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecfd67 View Post
How about you put the screws to the government seems they are always putting the screws to us

It's been tried many times, but it seems the walls of government lack substance and are so flimsy, they just fall right out, no backing! How can something so THICK have so lil backing? Like putting screws to styrofoam.

And last I checked, my DW says Gov't has no STUDS

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Htfiremedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecfd67 View Post
Like nailing Jello to a tree!
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

To get back to the OP's original question .........

The method of locating exterior wall studs mentioned by Bluewater will provide you with a reasonably accurate outline of where the aluminum studs are located. A cool, "crisp and dewy" morning is the best time for looking at the walls. Position yourself at the right angle and you should be able to see a fairly distinctive outline of the studs.

As SAD mentioned in a previous post on this same topic, have a helper to use masking tape to mark their locations and make a sketch of your unit with the appropriate measurements.

On the inside, a stud finder might work or you can try applying pressure to the wall or do some tapping with a rubber mallet to try to find the interior, wooden studs.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Another consideration, depending on how high you need to mount your grill stand, the different color seam that runs horizontal between the skirting and the fiberglass is the actual floor of the RV. That seam is about 2.5" thick and is about as solid as anything on the RV. If it's close to the right height, just attach your grill stand above or below the molding and angle the screws to point toward that level.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Bob Landry

I personally would avoid attaching anything to the exterior filon. It's only thin luan with a very thin layer of fiberglass mat and gelcoat covering it.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
michol02

I had a grill attachment on my last RV. It was convenient, but after a few uses, I noticed that the excessive heat was causing the exterior wall to "yellow". I cut out a piece of 2 1/2' x 2 1/2' heat barrier, like the stuff used on houses(silver coated stuff, not the bubble wrap), and used Velcro to attach it to the wall behind the grill. Problem solved. Just a little helpful info, if you run into this problem.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #11
Inherentwired1

Use a good'ole home depot stud finder. (By the way, attaching your grill to a hitch mount is probably a easier solution than mounting it to the side wall of your trailer.)
Inherentwired1 is offline   Reply With Quote