Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2024, 05:03 AM   #1
bcrews

2021 Bullet Ultralite

We have a 2021 Bullet 287QBS we purchased new. Since leaving the lot we have had to replace the front GE air conditioner 3 times, all under warranty. Anyone else had issues with their GE units?
bcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:16 PM   #2
jxnbbl

I've had two bullets with the same AC brand...never a problem. What have you been experiencing?
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:45 AM   #3
bcrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I've had two bullets with the same AC brand...never a problem. What have you been experiencing?
Our trailer was bought new in 2021 and we have had to replace the front GE AC unit 4 times. We haven't had them on long enough to be used that much. Each was replaced under warranty but just seems a little excessive.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:55 AM   #4
bcrews

I typed 3 times in my first post. This is actually the 4th unit put on our trailer. GE told our dealer they must have been out of freon. 4 units without freon?
Old 03-27-2024, 05:53 AM   #5
jxnbbl

Agree it is excessive...but both of our trailers were 2021 - one build late 2020 and one build in 2021 - both new (we bought what we could and traded/upgraded to what we wanted). As stated both came with the trailers and have worked perfectly (to date). I installed a 2nd AC in our bunk room and selected Dometic as it fits what we need and runs on the lowest amperage.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:30 AM   #6
bcrews

Ours was a late 2020 build and came with two GE units. The one in the bunkroom is not on a control and is smaller than the front unit. It has had no issues at all. I asked the service dept. if there was something they were missing during the install and they asked GE but were told the installs were correct and suggested the units were low on freon. Like I said I can see one or two bad units but we get four in a row! During COVID manufacturers were scrambling to get parts and supplies to complete trailers. I was told Keystone has since gone to Coleman and Dometic units instead of GE. They only used GE for a short period of time.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:04 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrews View Post
Ours was a late 2020 build and came with two GE units. The one in the bunkroom is not on a control and is smaller than the front unit. It has had no issues at all. I asked the service dept. if there was something they were missing during the install and they asked GE but were told the installs were correct and suggested the units were low on freon. Like I said I can see one or two bad units but we get four in a row! During COVID manufacturers were scrambling to get parts and supplies to complete trailers. I was told Keystone has since gone to Coleman and Dometic units instead of GE. They only used GE for a short period of time.
The change from GE to Coleman or Dometic is not surprising. RV manufacturers typically go with the lowest bid appliance, even at midyear purchase/contract orders. Just look at the change from Atwood/Suburban to Furrion stove/range or Dometic/Norcold refrigerators to Furrion. So, it's usual to see a brand change midyear or even a couple of brand changes as the production run moves forward....

Now, what is surprising in your case is that it's a problem with failure of what has typically been a "pretty good product with a good reputation"...

So, I'd ask, first, do you use an EMS when you connect your trailer to shore power? If you do, have you had any "power outages with the trailer"???

If you don't use an EMS, you may be experiencing a "low power condition" or what some call a "brownout"... Low voltage is a KILLER for A/C compressors because as the voltage drops, the amperage goes up to maintain the required "watts to operate the compressor"... Those increased amps will cause multiple failures on a reliable time table....

What type of power source are you using in storage, at home when parked and in campgrounds? Is it a 15, 30 or 50 amp source ??? Do you operate one or both air conditioner units when on 15 or 30 amp power source ???

While I'm not attempting to "place blame", understanding the conditions that lead up to the failures is as important as the actual failures. You may be "inadvertently helping the failures to occur".... Then again, you may be "doing everything right"...

Explaining what power sources you use when that air conditioner is being operated and what else is also operating is a major factor in understanding why they keep failing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:47 AM   #8
bcrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The change from GE to Coleman or Dometic is not surprising. RV manufacturers typically go with the lowest bid appliance, even at midyear purchase/contract orders. Just look at the change from Atwood/Suburban to Furrion stove/range or Dometic/Norcold refrigerators to Furrion. So, it's usual to see a brand change midyear or even a couple of brand changes as the production run moves forward....

Now, what is surprising in your case is that it's a problem with failure of what has typically been a "pretty good product with a good reputation"...

So, I'd ask, first, do you use an EMS when you connect your trailer to shore power? If you do, have you had any "power outages with the trailer"???

If you don't use an EMS, you may be experiencing a "low power condition" or what some call a "brownout"... Low voltage is a KILLER for A/C compressors because as the voltage drops, the amperage goes up to maintain the required "watts to operate the compressor"... Those increased amps will cause multiple failures on a reliable time table....

What type of power source are you using in storage, at home when parked and in campgrounds? Is it a 15, 30 or 50 amp source ??? Do you operate one or both air conditioner units when on 15 or 30 amp power source ???

While I'm not attempting to "place blame", understanding the conditions that lead up to the failures is as important as the actual failures. You may be "inadvertently helping the failures to occur".... Then again, you may be "doing everything right"...

Explaining what power sources you use when that air conditioner is being operated and what else is also operating is a major factor in understanding why they keep failing.

I do have an EMS I use while camping and at home. I have a 30 amp RV box that was installed by an electrician. I do keep it plugged in at all times. We've only been on a couple trips where we needed air conditioning and we don't leave it on at home very much. Mainly when prepping for a trip. I know not to use both units on 30 amp power or use microwave while unit is on either. If the unit ran continually or for extended periods would make more sense to have the problems. I couldn't say if the power went out or we had a flucuation while the unit was running. I also try to use my meter to check voltage at my home box and periodically at the campsite.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:28 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Did NOT know GE made RV A/C units and they are certainly priced quite a bit better than Coleman or Dometic similar BTU units and could see why a manufacturer might use them instead of more expensive makes/models.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:12 PM   #10
keystonedwildlife

I have had a 2016 bullet premier Ulite for 8 years.. Never had a problem with any electrical. Did they properly inspect your unit when you were in the process of buying?
keystonedwildlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet