Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
iroc454

Slideout topper passport 34mb

Has anyone successfully installed a slide-out topper on a 2018 passport 34mb? I bought 3 slide-out awnings from lippert and on the rear slidout on left side there is a vent on the top and bottom of the slide where the fridge is. however with this vent on top it is only an 1" from the top of the slidout frame. my question is how do you attach the bracket that is supposed to go into the top corner of the slidout to hold the awning?? any help much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img-8260-001-l.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	27623  
iroc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:07 AM   #2
iroc454

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc454 View Post
Has anyone successfully installed a slide-out topper on a 2018 passport 34mb? I bought 3 slide-out awnings from lippert and on the rear slidout on left side there is a vent on the top and bottom of the slide where the fridge is. however with this vent on top it is only an 1" from the top of the slidout frame. my question is how do you attach the bracket that is supposed to go into the top corner of the slidout to hold the awning?? any help much appreciated.
No ideas? Anyone
Old 06-13-2020, 05:10 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Just saw this. We have moved the brackets to the bottom edge of the flange. You’ll have to move the awning rail if you don’t have the proper slope.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:24 AM   #4
iroc454

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Just saw this. We have moved the brackets to the bottom edge of the flange. You’ll have to move the awning rail if you don’t have the proper slope.
If I'm understanding you correctly, instead of mounting the backets just below the flange, I should mount to the actual flange? It just seems like the bracket would just pul out of the flange or bend it? Would u have a pic where ur brackets are? Thanks for ur input
Old 06-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I think what Chuck is referring to is mounting the bracket "on the flange" but through the aluminum framework of the slideout, to which the flange is mounted) so in essence, you're mounting it to the slideout frame, through the flange... He's not (IMHO) referring to actually bolting the bracket to the thin plastic flange above the slide body...

An alternative is to position the bracket over the upper refrigerator vent, mark it where the bracket sits over it, then remove the vent, CAREFULLY cut away the part that the bracket sits on top of the vent, reinstall the vent and then install the bracket. You may have to "glue the vent door into the frame along that edge, but since the upper vent door is seldom removed, it wouldn't matter that it's "semi-permanently secured in place. This option would provide the most "like the original intent" for mounting.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I think I would go trimming the vent cover. I went out and looked at mine and the brackets are about 2" in height. If you have 1" available under the lip of the flange you would need an additional inch off the vent cover. Just cut out to fit around the bracket and seal. I would think that would come out being where it is supposed to be and like it was meant to be there.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I have mounted the brackets on the bottom edge of the top flange, that uses the frame of the slide. I don’t have pics because that was customer units a year or so ago.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:38 AM   #8
iroc454

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have mounted the brackets on the bottom edge of the top flange, that uses the frame of the slide. I don’t have pics because that was customer units a year or so ago.
Thanks Chuck. That's what I did and everything is good .

Tags
passport, slide, slideout