Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Dan Lockwood

Walmart Overnight Parking???

Not sure where to post this, but do have a question on the subject.

The wife and I will be going to Sturgis Bike rally in August 2020. We'll be leaving the Hill City SD area on Monday the 17th and will end up in the Des Moines area Tuesday the 18th for another week to spend time with our kids and family.

It's almost a 10 hour drive according to Google Maps and I want to split it up with a night in between. Sioux Falls SD is about half way.

What's the procedure for overnighting at a Walmart parking lot?

Do you need to get permission ahead of time? Obviously it would be boon docking overnight.

Do you normally unhook, level etc for the night? That's not a big deal, but just wondered about putting out the slides when not totally level.

Thanks, Dan
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We've overnighted at WalMart, Cracker Barrel, Love's and TA truck stops. We've NEVER disconnected and most WalMart's that allow overnighting don't allow you to disconnect. We try to park at the lot edge with the slides overhanging the grass (watch for sprinklers, they can destroy the underside of a slide and flood the trailer).

In August, your biggest issue will be air conditioning for a comfortable overnight sleep. I've never seen a WalMart that allows generator use with a "stand alone generator". Running one in a motorhome is completely different and you'll hear them if you walk past the "camping area" at most WalMart's.

The process is to park (usually where you see other RV's) and go inside to the Customer Service desk. Ask about overnight parking. They will either tell you the "local rules and where to park" or they'll call a manager who will give you the information.

Keep in mind that there is a growing number of locations where overnight parking is not permitted. So, be sure to inquire before going to sleep. I'd suspect it's no fun to be sound asleep and at 2AM, get a knock on the door from the "just coming on shift security guard" informing you that you've got to leave or be towed......

There's a Yahoo Groups site called "walmartrving". On that site, there's a downloadable PFD listing of all WalMart's that allow overnighting and a partial listing of those that do not allow overnighting. There's also a fairly complete listing of the rules and expectations as well as a "group compiled set of rules on WalMart overnight self imposed guidelines"....

You can read the "WalMart Corporate Policy" here: https://corporate.walmart.com/freque...walmart-stores

"Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Dan Lockwood

John, thanks again for coming in with some great information.

I'll do some more research and see if I can get a list like you've mentioned.

Thanks and have a great afternoon in MI's Up North!
Old 11-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
<clip>

There's a Yahoo Groups site called "walmartrving". On that site, there's a downloadable PFD listing of all WalMart's that allow overnighting and a partial listing of those that do not allow overnighting. There's also a fairly complete listing of the rules and expectations as well as a "group compiled set of rules on WalMart overnight self imposed guidelines"....
...[/B]
FYI, in case you didn't know, the Yahoo group is going away. On October 20 the following message was sent out from the WalMarRV Yahoo group:

Quote:
Working together with Scott Wilkes, we have come to the following conclusions and decisions:

The coming changes imposed by Yahoo will render Yahoo Groups incompatible with the use and objectives of the WalmartRVing group.

In the last few years there has been continuous improvement in the accessibility, usefulness and accuracy of other sources of overnight RV parking data. A good example is AllStays. It is accessible by browser or apps (iOS and Android).

In the coming weeks, we will produce one final revision to the Walmart Parking List (PDF and XML formats). It will be posted here if possible, but also posted on the companion site:
http://halberstadt.webmate.me/Walmart
That site will remain available for at least 6 months.

Neither Scott nor I desire to move WalmartRVing to another platform, considering the balance of effort and value.

This Yahoo group will be closed shortly after Yahoo removes its files.

I will contact the producers of AllStays to see if any information I have can be used to improve their application. However, I will not transfer the list of members to anyone.

This group was founded by Craig Maynard in late 2005. It currently has the amazing number of 9996 members (many inactive, to be sure). Over the years it has served the RVing public well, with benefit to those who wish to use Walmart (and other) lots, and to Walmart itself, to avoid conflict between RVers and Walmart policies. The contributions and discussions by group members have been instrumental in keeping the resources accurate and usable.

Scott and I thank all of you, and wish you safe travels.

Bill Halberstadt
Co-owner, WalmartRVing

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
hornet28

There are quite a few places to stay for a quick overnight Cabelas, Cracker Barrel, rest area and of course truck stops
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Walnuts

Not on your route but a good fyi, I just called (11/06/19) the Walmart in Charleston SC, overnight staying in the parking lot is NOT allowed.
However, Cabella next door does allow.
Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Speaking of Cabella's. Many Bass Pro and Cabella's locations have overnight RV parking space. Some Cabella's even have a dump station and a few limited electric hookups. The ones I've seen are 15 amp, but it's enough to at least keep the batteries charged and watch TV a bit before bed, shower in the morning and still leave with empty holding tanks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
Northofu1

Allstays , and RV Trip Wizard have pretty good systems for walmarts. Allstays Red W means no, Yellow W means read the reviews. Asking is manager is wise. Never unhook. Slide open just enough to get to washroom. Truckers are getting miffed about rv'ers "stealing" their spots at truck and rest stops.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
Canonman

I understand the question was regarding rules for "Walmart" overnighting. This may also be an alternative: https://freecampsites.net/#!Sioux+Fa...+United+States
I've used this web site and found the reviews and recommendations reliable.
We really enjoyed our time in SD, stayed in a great spot at Custer State Park.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...hp?albumid=775
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
K_N_L

The Pilot / Flying J at 5201 N Granite Ln, Sioux Falls, SD 57107 has a nice RV parking area (out in front) with RV fueling lanes. It fills in pretty quickly but we stopped there for the night before running down I-90 to Sturgis.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
notanlines

Dan, the Dakota Campground is right at the exit in Mitchell, SD, about your halfway point. $30 a night is what we paid with pull thru sites, and wide open drives. Nice people and a little water park area included. Might be a thought.
We've stayed at many Walmarts, but never unhook and only put the bedroom slide out. We call or ask first and then park where we're told. I prefer to park where the trucks park and the noise is not a problem to us.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #12
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Dan, the Dakota Campground is right at the exit in Mitchell, SD, about your halfway point. $30 a night is what we paid with pull thru sites, and wide open drives. Nice people and a little water park area included. Might be a thought.
We have stayed here a couple of times. I agree - a good place to stay.

If you've never eaten at a Culvers, it was pretty good. Our first introduction was in Mitchell. Also be sure to visit the Corn Palace - not to be missed.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #13
Brantlyj

If you need a place to put your rig for the week your in Des Moines I might be able to help you out.
I keep mine at our families business and could probably make some room if needed.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #14
Customer1

Here is the "Good Neighbor Policy" adopted by many groups as a suggestion regarding overnighting in parking lots. No rules, just recommendation.

https://www.escapees.com/wp-content/...etter-0419.pdf
Old 11-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #15
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
If you need a place to put your rig for the week your in Des Moines I might be able to help you out.
I keep mine at our families business and could probably make some room if needed.
Brant,

My son has an indoor riding arena just three miles south of 163 on 108th St. I can park there, but it would basically be boon docking with maybe 120v. I'm trying to locate a place to park for the 18th thru the 25th of next August. Which of course is the Iowa State Fair week.

I tried several, but they closed the first of November and I tried Griff's RV park just north of 80 at Altoona and they seemed very short on time and said no, too many long term people to mess with a person wanting a week lot.

The Walmart question came up because I'll be driving through from Sturgis and Google map says just under 10 hours and I wanted to split it up into two days arriving in Des Moines area early to mid-afternoon. So I would have more than enough time to get into a park and settled in before dark etc.

Tried Adventure Land and they're booked for that time period, but said call back from time to time to see if they get any cancellations. I asked if they have a wait list and he said no. So if there are any cancellations, it's just going to be a luck of the draw that I call when that happens. I guess I'll have to get my crystal ball in for repair...

I wouldn't mind paying for "a" night in the Sioux Falls area, just thought if I were to get there late in the day/evening etc, that it may be hard to get into a park before they shut down for the night. I just thought a parking lot may be convenient.

Here I'm making all these plans and I haven't even spent a night in my rig. I know, that's my fault, but been really busy and didn't plan on purchasing a rig until next spring when this great deal showed up and I could NOT turn it down. So for right now I have it in my subdivision house driveway and doing little things like winterizing, installing the solar panel wiring and controller, hooking up the washer dryer, changing out light bulbs to LEDs, mounting my new B&W Biker Bar this weekend in my Raptor garage for the Harley. I'd like to find another biker bar for my Honda Helix. With the biker bar you do NOT have to do any tie downs, just drive up into the garage and slide into the floor mounted locking mechanism and step off the bike, you're finished. When parked the lower bed mount comes out with just two 5/8" bolts and you can plug the holes and throw the carpet back down on the floor.

Okay, sorry for rambling on and on.

I greatly appreciate the input and the Overnight Parking Etiquette rules. Printed them out and will keep them in the RV.

Thanks again to everyone!

Have a great evening.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #16
CrazyCain

DW and I have stayed at a few Wally World Campgrounds in the state of Michigan and always go in and buy a bunch of stuff from them, sort of our payment to them for letting us stay. Our favorite WWCG is the one in Gaylord Mi, right off I 75. Met a really nice couple there when we stayed over night, right JRTJH!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
DW and I have stayed at a few Wally World Campgrounds in the state of Michigan and always go in and buy a bunch of stuff from them, sort of our payment to them for letting us stay. Our favorite WWCG is the one in Gaylord Mi, right off I 75. Met a really nice couple there when we stayed over night, right JRTJH!

You got that right !!! Easy off/easy on to I-75, Bob Evans is in the parking lot for a great breakfast and exactly "one potty break" away from the Mackinac Bridge north side rest area (just beyond the toll booths).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #18
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
Brant,

My son has an indoor riding arena just three miles south of 163 on 108th St. I can park there, but it would basically be boon docking with maybe 120v. I'm trying to locate a place to park for the 18th thru the 25th of next August. Which of course is the Iowa State Fair week.

I tried several, but they closed the first of November and I tried Griff's RV park just north of 80 at Altoona and they seemed very short on time and said no, too many long term people to mess with a person wanting a week lot.

The Walmart question came up because I'll be driving through from Sturgis and Google map says just under 10 hours and I wanted to split it up into two days arriving in Des Moines area early to mid-afternoon. So I would have more than enough time to get into a park and settled in before dark etc.

Tried Adventure Land and they're booked for that time period, but said call back from time to time to see if they get any cancellations. I asked if they have a wait list and he said no. So if there are any cancellations, it's just going to be a luck of the draw that I call when that happens. I guess I'll have to get my crystal ball in for repair...

I wouldn't mind paying for "a" night in the Sioux Falls area, just thought if I were to get there late in the day/evening etc, that it may be hard to get into a park before they shut down for the night. I just thought a parking lot may be convenient.

Here I'm making all these plans and I haven't even spent a night in my rig. I know, that's my fault, but been really busy and didn't plan on purchasing a rig until next spring when this great deal showed up and I could NOT turn it down. So for right now I have it in my subdivision house driveway and doing little things like winterizing, installing the solar panel wiring and controller, hooking up the washer dryer, changing out light bulbs to LEDs, mounting my new B&W Biker Bar this weekend in my Raptor garage for the Harley. I'd like to find another biker bar for my Honda Helix. With the biker bar you do NOT have to do any tie downs, just drive up into the garage and slide into the floor mounted locking mechanism and step off the bike, you're finished. When parked the lower bed mount comes out with just two 5/8" bolts and you can plug the holes and throw the carpet back down on the floor.

Okay, sorry for rambling on and on.

I greatly appreciate the input and the Overnight Parking Etiquette rules. Printed them out and will keep them in the RV.

Thanks again to everyone!

Have a great evening.
What is your son’s arena called? Or his name if you care to share? My family owns Burget Mill, a feed and grain store, similar to Griff’s. Your son might be a customer.

There is also Cutty’s just off the interstate in Grimes. Also two really nice state parks, Yellow Banks and Thomas Michell. They do allow you to dump for a suggested donation if you do end up boondocking. Also have KOA in Adel.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #19
Roscommon48

bottom line, you may not know until you get there.

you have 2 options, ask at the service desk or not.

good luck.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #20
Slapshoot

I just checked the Walmart’s in RV Parky and it appears there is no overnight parking in Sioux Falls, SD.