Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2021, 08:21 PM   #1
BandT

Mystery hose

So thanks to all the comments about the the gate valve pulls, I removed and reinstalled mine today. Yes they were barely, not even finger tight, screwed on.

While crawling around i noticed this hose, I am guessing its not functioning well by the looks of it. Anyone have an idea what it does? And better yet how remedy it’s position? I will fix it myself as my dealer is ridiculously backed up.

Thanks in advance! Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE44D634-8BC6-41D9-B563-0D31CC80DF12.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	34864  
Old 07-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I've got no idea what that hose might be, hopefully someone can figure that out...

That said, take a critical look at the DARCO lining in your wheelwells. On the photo you posted, the DARCO is worn where it looks like the tires have bounced up, into the wheelwell, hitting the DARCO and wearing it away.

I see multiple holes in the ONLY WATERPROOFING FABRIC that is no longer protecting the luan plywood that makes up your wheelwell. That is a "quick and sure recipe for disaster !!!!!

In less than a year I'd suspect that you're going to be facing rotten flooring around the wheelwells unless you do some "serious repair" in the wheelwells.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #3
BandT

Are these the holes you are referring too? The only miles on the RV are the delivery miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C08BF1E-62FE-4F24-9FC6-2199D693EDCA.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	34865  
Old 07-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
bobbecky

That white hose looks a lot like the hose that comes from the fresh water tank and goes to the water pump. If it is, I'm doubting you will get much water from the pump.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
BandT

We haven’t noticed anything, but then we haven’t used it much. I will see if I can verify. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, those are the holes I saw in the photo. They are in the DARCO, the "only line of defense" between road spray and the luan/foam/sturdifloor decking (your trailer "may" have "hyperdeck" which is a composite sheeting to replace the luan) but the foam is still "hygroscopic" and the sturdifloor is still "fancy OSB", both of which are vulnerable to water damage.

Keystone has used DARCO as the wheelwell lining for at least the last 15 years and it's been a problem for just as long. When you think about it, DARCO is nothing more than a black "cheap plastic tarp" similar to what's sold at Harbor Freight or any other "discount hardware". It's a layer of "polyester fibers" melted between two sheets of thin plastic to form a "reinforced trash bag".

Any time you tow, rocks, pebbles, sand and any other debris that gets caught in the tire tread will be "slung at high speed" into the DARCO. As those rocks "beat the plastic sheeting" eventually they will "poke holes in the waterproofing" and it will become a "screen, not a sheet".... So, DARCO is not a good choice, rather it's a "cheap, lightweight compromise".....

Those holes in the DARCO lead directly into your underbelly along the frame that supports the DARCO. All that "road water" splashed into the top of the wheelwells is going to wick along the space between the luan (or hyperdeck) and into your underbelly.

Now, as for "the only miles are the delivery miles"... Imagine, if it has this much penetration of the DARCO in that short mileage, what's it going to look like in 2 or 3 years? Much more to the point: What damage is the water that gets sprayed into the top of the DARCO migrating to and how much mold, mildew, rot and corrosion of wiring/connections as well as damage to insulation will that water do?

As for the tubing, it could "have been" the vent hose from the fresh water tank or the pump suction hose from that tank and once the floor was installed on the chassis, it was discovered "pinched" so they cut it, ran a new hose and what's there just was never "trimmed so you couldn't see it" or it was "just replaced and left hanging"... So, it may not serve any purpose on your trailer, it was just a "mistake that didn't get hidden when discovered"... Another possibility is that hose may be the "black tank flush" for the rear holding tank. I've heard (never actually seen) that some trailers have a single "black tank flush sidewall connection" with a "Tee" that supplies water to both black tank flush nozzles from a single source. So, you'd be flushing both black tanks at the same time. To me, that seems very "unreliable" in that unless both black tanks are connected to the sewer with valves open, you'd be filling one tank while flushing the other. Once full, where does the "rest of the water" go ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
BandT

As always your knowledge and insight are appreciated, thank you John!

As far as the Darco is concerned if I were to staple some rubber sheet up there that would solve the debris problem and protect what’s left of the Darco? Thoughts?

The pinched off white hose, any idea what it might take to return it to the inside of the frame? Thanks for you input! Bob.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
rwreuter

I have heard people get some metal and bolt it under that area on top of the Darco.

I'd like to see some pictures from some ones RV that did that. I've looked at mine and it looks rather straight forward. Measure, cut, pre drill holes where the factor screws/bolts are at and install over the Darco.
rwreuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

There have been threads where folks explained how to line the wheel wells with metal I believe and I also believe John may have perpetrated some of that wheel well magic. If you don't do it, I suspect you will be writing a post about getting your trailer dragged to Indiana or the place on the west coast and having Keystone replace the entire floor and then you will write another post to explain that they made a mess of the trailer and half the inside and outside needs further repair. Use the search function.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #10
BandT

But back to my OP if anyone has some insight to “freeing my hose” it doesn’t look like there is much holding the floor to the frame near here, but I am probably wrong! Thanks for the comments! Bob.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

The trailer is a 2021 and I'd suppose it's in warranty ???

If it is, that hose is "ONE FOR THE DEALER TO GET HEADACHES FIXING"....

As for the DARCO and protecting it, I used 1/4" thick UMDH sheeting that I bought for $35 a sheet at Menard's. They had 1/8" sheets, but they were special order only and the shipping to the store made them almost 2 times the price of the thicker quarter inch thick sheets. The sheeting is 4x8 (same as OSB or plywood) so one sheet did my wheelwells on my Cougar.

Here's a "quite lengthy thread" that is complete with photos and a discussion of what I did and pretty much how I did it. Take a look and see if it answers much of your concern about what to do and how to do it: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=39472

Also take a look at the photos of what a "little bit of water" can do to an RV... It's frightening to think that so many people completely miss how important keeping water out of an RV really is.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS