Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj5150 View Post
We experienced some unusual heat here in Washington State last month. It got into the mid 100's. But this behavior also happens in the upper 80's.
About halfway through the day, the AC in the living room of our Raptor (2017 412TS) gave up. It was still blowing air, just none of it was cold.
This happens rather frequently, the AC just turns into a fan partway through a hot day. Later on as the day cools down, it starts blowing cold again.
The bedroom AC is about the same, but it takes longer until the AC part of it stops working and it's just a fan.
Both the living room and bedroom AC's will drop water at some point, but it takes longer for the bedroom AC to do so.
We never run the AC in the garage/office long enough for it to tucker out.

-Mike
Quite a few people will run their A/C fan on low to reduce noise in the trailer. Doing that slows down the velocity of air over the evaporator coils and the condensation that collects on them can't be effectively blown from between the fins on the coils. That sets up the A/C to freeze up (as Javi stated). Check your coils to see if they are icing. If they are and you're running the units on the low fan speed, that may be your problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like coil freeze over. Several things can cause this. Most commonly:

Dirty air filter - this inhibits air flow over the coils.
Dirty coils - typically from not cleaning the filter.
Low fan speed - RVs are a challenging environment. Fan should be set to high and run continuously.
Insufficiant cooling for the conditions. I.E. too much humidity because the doors are open too often or for too long. The a/c isn't designed to cool the great outdoors.

Mechanical causes:
Freeze sensor not properly adjusted. Unlikely to happen to both units but possible.
Low refridgerant charge, again unlikely to happen to both units simultaneously.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

The best way to determine if your A/C(s) have frozen up is to turn them off and just run the ran on high and stand underneath. Look up at the fan for awhile and if your face gets wet, that is ice melting. Ask me how I gained this particular bit of wisdom.... Even clean coils will freeze if you have the fan set to low on a warm sunny and humid day. Once the coils thaw (you can see the ice if you remove the lower panel of your A/C) set the fan to either AUTO or HIGH and turn the A/C back on.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #24
Mikelff

Here is another A/C system upgrade that really quiets down your A/C system and improves air flow.
https://wackoproducts.com/contact/
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #25
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
After all the bantering about to much A/C causing wet, damp cool air in a trailer I thought I'd report on my actual experience with two 15K A/C's in a 35 foot 5th wheel and Central Texas weather...

I've been camping since Tuesday afternoon in Dawson, Texas. The weather has been 90 degrees every day with hit and miss summer thunderstorms every day and it looks like it'll be a repeat again today. Humidity was 78% yesterday but only 58% so far today...

The new 15K in the bedroom has performed flawlessly there is no moisture dripping from any of the registers, even in the bath.

The 13.5K that I replaced struggled last year to keep the trailer cool even in the relatively cool 90 degrees we're blessed with today. In fact neither it nor the living area 15K would cycle during the heat of the day even at 90 degrees outside temps.

The dual 15K a/c's are at least cycling nicely with the bedroom cycling off for 30 minutes frequently .

I won't say that everyone needs dual 15K a/c's but if you live in Central Texas or other areas with high humidity and 90 + temps.... it's worth the little extra costs involved. I can't hardly wait for the normal 100 degree plus Texas weather to come back... Last year was no fun but I'm thinking this'll help.
I live in North Texas and it’s supposed to be 103 today. Wish I had two 15k A/C units. I have a 15 and 13.5 heat pump. I have a 12k stand up unit that I bought used that works great. It’s vented out a slide side window and sits in the corner, out of the way. Would rather have the 15k, but not in the budget at this time. Rig is in the shop getting warranty work done so not camping in the heat for a few weeks. Would like to hear how the two 15k units do in the 100 degree heat. Stay cool!
Old 07-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #26
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Your right John. I forgot that Javi had one of the newer Avalanche's, which most now come installed with the Quiet Air system. Wish I had one of those as it's always a hassle to turn up/down the volume on the TV based just on the A/C operation
John & Genny, check this out. It does quiet down your system, as I have one and made a notable difference.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #27
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That sounds more like they're freezing up... you might check and clean the coils..
I agree, sounds like your A/C is freezing up. Doesn't sound like a thermostat issue, though it could be. Your A/C should be pulling out the moisture in your rig and sending out your drip pan on your roof. Water drip from your vents is Another tell tale sign your A/C is freezing up. Need to check your coils when it stops cooling to see if its caked in ice.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:31 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I live in North Texas and it’s supposed to be 103 today. Wish I had two 15k A/C units. I have a 15 and 13.5 heat pump. I have a 12k stand up unit that I bought used that works great. It’s vented out a slide side window and sits in the corner, out of the way. Would rather have the 15k, but not in the budget at this time. Rig is in the shop getting warranty work done so not camping in the heat for a few weeks. Would like to hear how the two 15k units do in the 100 degree heat. Stay cool!
We have pretty much dodged a hot July here in the Hill Country... been more rainy than usual and right now my weather app says 94F which is relatively cool for this part of Texas. We have not been able to camp this month as my sis & BIL have been here with us and just moved out this past Monday. Missus is charged with finding a date and setting it up with our dog sitter. Have the trailer back in its spot and will power wash before heading out as we camped in mud last time out.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #29
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
We have pretty much dodged a hot July here in the Hill Country... been more rainy than usual and right now my weather app says 94F which is relatively cool for this part of Texas. We have not been able to camp this month as my sis & BIL have been here with us and just moved out this past Monday. Missus is charged with finding a date and setting it up with our dog sitter. Have the trailer back in its spot and will power wash before heading out as we camped in mud last time out.
Headed out tomorrow afternoon 🤗 and every other weekend pretty much the rest of the year
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #30
John&Genny

Quote:
Here is another A/C system upgrade that really quiets down your A/C system and improves air flow.
Mike, did you notice a significant reduction in the noise level? I noticed some reduction in the noise when I installed the RV Airflow system, mainly because of the increased efficiency on getting the air through the vents. But if this quiets it down even more significantly, I'm willing to give it a try. I contacted Wacko products and they say it does work with the RV Airflow mod.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #31
Javi

Quote:
Brief update... Friday it was 98 at Lake Navarro Mills and it took about 15 minutes to cool the trailer down enough to be tolerable and after an hour the units started cycling off for about 10 minutes at a time.. then back on for 10 to 15 minutes.. inside temp was 72` until we we went to bed and I turned the bedroom down to 65`

Saturday was a hot son of a gun but the A/C kept the trailer at 72` without having to run constantly... I'm loving it so far...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:13 AM   #32
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Mike, did you notice a significant reduction in the noise level? I noticed some reduction in the noise when I installed the RV Airflow system, mainly because of the increased efficiency on getting the air through the vents. But if this quiets it down even more significantly, I'm willing to give it a try. I contacted Wacko products and they say it does work with the RV Airflow mod.
Yes, quite a bit. They have some soundproofing material in their cover. I am looking at adding the rv air flow system for better air flow and more noise reduction. My wife is a light sleeper and the a/c noise is an issue for her at times. I taped up the plenum good, no gaps, but the air flow system looks like it will still give better air flow and quiet down the system.

Tags
bed, bedroom