Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
bgrhrdt

My Fifth Wheel Checklist

Here's our fifth wheel hook-up checklist. It works well for us; modify it for your own use if you want.

Fifth Wheel Hook up

(If Leaving Campground, complete “Leaving Campground” checklist first

Lube hitch with WD-40
Remove Pin Lock
Chock behind front wheels
If in Storage, close refrigerator doors and put in screw
Battery Switch to ON
Fully retract rear jacks
Confirm hitch handle pulled out and hitch aligned
Lower Tailgate
Back up to about 3 inches from hitch
Extend or retract front jacks until angled sections are at same level
Reverse in one movement until hitch locks (handle in).
Retract front jacks until both are approx 1” off ground
DO NOT close tailgate yet
Plug in Power Cord and attach emergency stop cable
Test hookup:
Put truck in Drive
Apply trailer brakes
Accelerate to verify hitched properly
Close tailgate
Fully retract front jacks
Release front jack pads and raise to uppermost position
Remove chocks

Fifth Wheel Unhook and Leveling

Chock behind and in front of front wheels of trailer
Tailgate down
Remove emergency stop cable
Release front jack pads and lower to about 6” from ground
Extend front jacks until pressure just off of hitch
Pull hitch handle to release pin
Check Tailgate Open
Unplug power cord
Drive forward out from under hitch and clear of trailer
Autolevel or manually level trailer

Leaving Campground

Turn on inverter (before unplugging from shore power)
Propane OFF
Bring in outside thermometer
Bathroom door latched
Toilet Paper Secure
Shower door latched
Vents closed
Strap dining chairs
Strap TV
Close all window shades
Garbage Out and Can stored in bin
Coffee Pot/Water Filter Pitcher in sink
Water Heater OFF
AC/Heater OFF
Water Pump OFF
Lights OFF
Dog Water Bowl empty and stored
Bedroom Door Closed
Put screw in refrigerator

Temporary Storage

Inverter disconnect OFF
Consider opening vents
Main battery disconnect OFF
Install Lock Pin
Unscrew Refrigerator and crack open
Open up coffee pot in sink
Close propane tank
bgrhrdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
coop341

“Lube hitch with WD-40”

WD-40 is not lube, it’s a penetrating oil, evaporates quickly, no long lasting lubrication.

I don’t know you what you are lubing on your hitch, but everything on my pullrite super glide got spray white lithium grease. Comes out of the can as a thin oil that can get into small nooks and crannies, then the carrier liquid evaporates leaving behind a thick grease.
coop341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
bgrhrdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop341 View Post
“Lube hitch with WD-40”

WD-40 is not lube, it’s a penetrating oil, evaporates quickly, no long lasting lubrication.

I don’t know you what you are lubing on your hitch, but everything on my pullrite super glide got spray white lithium grease. Comes out of the can as a thin oil that can get into small nooks and crannies, then the carrier liquid evaporates leaving behind a thick grease.
I have a PullRite Superglide hitch that specifically calls for WD-40 for the locking mechanism and the rails. I even called to verify that and they verified for me to use nothing but WD-40.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
rhagfo

I do the pull test as soon as I back into the hitch, I put in drive and bump the jaws, then put back into reverse to make locking hitch easier. I also do a visual check to verify that jaws are closed correctly around the pin.

The reason I do the pull test with the weight on the legs, if high hitched and you put the pin weight on the hitch (my case 2,700#) it would be hard to pull out with all that weight on the hitch.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrhrdt View Post
I have a PullRite Superglide hitch that specifically calls for WD-40 for the locking mechanism and the rails. I even called to verify that and they verified for me to use nothing but WD-40.
Also,have a pull right hitch and it states the same thing spray with wd 40
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:03 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
There's also a silicone WD-40 that would be a much better choice than the regular, the silicone is NOT a dust/dirt magnet like the regular WD-40.
I still carry the regular WD-40 for rusted bolts & removing tar splatter off the vehicle paint, but not on anything with moving parts as a lubricant.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:04 AM   #7
John&Genny

Nice list! But one thing I noticed is that you listed "Battery switch to on" when leaving the campground. I'm not sure if you realize it, but if you are connected up to shore power, the battery switch should be on anyway so it can be charged by the converter.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:19 AM   #8
bgrhrdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Nice list! But one thing I noticed is that you listed "Battery switch to on" when leaving the campground. I'm not sure if you realize it, but if you are connected up to shore power, the battery switch should be on anyway so it can be charged by the converter.
Thanks - I have "battery switch to on" in the 5th wheel hook-up section, (primarily when leaving storage.) I have a separate list for leaving a campground and it's not on that one (may be confusing I know). Thanks for checking out the list. We've been RVing for years, but we're newbies to fifth wheeling, so I've found I really need lists!
Old 07-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
shrtmem

Quote:
Hmmm, according to Pullrite manual

Pullrite recommends using a dry graphite spray to prevent the attraction of dust and debris. A light wet lubricant such as WD-40 can also be used but the two types of lubricants should not be used together.
shrtmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #10
cenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop341 View Post
After WD evaporates, the lubricating component remains.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #11
bgrhrdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrtmem View Post

Pullrite recommends using a dry graphite spray to prevent the attraction of dust and debris. A light wet lubricant such as WD-40 can also be used but the two types of lubricants should not be used together.
I copied and pasted from my Pullrite Superglide 2700 manual:

https://www.pullrite.com/sites/defau...ers-manual.pdf

"Low Friction Polymer Wear Plates
The Low Friction Polymer Wear Plates of the SuperGlide’s Turntable Cam Arm Assembly were designed to glide along the surfaces without the need for heavy lubrication. To protect against rust and to enhance the ease of turning
on the Way Tubes, a light oil (WD-40 or a 3-in-1 oil) should be applied to the Way Tubes’ top and inward facing sides and between the front and rear openings in the Wear Plates positioned around the Turntable/Cam Arm Shaft.
A light lubricant that is applied more frequently (each day of use) is preferred over the use of heavier lubricants. Since any applied lubricant is going to be “wiped” off by the sliding action of the hitch, a light lubricant applied more
frequently will perform better (reduce the friction between the polymer and steel surfaces), and will be less messy, as well as attract less dust and dirt. Heavy grease will be “wiped” off just as fast as a light lubricant pushing the heavy grease to areas that will not benefit the wear surfaces - only making it appear that the hitch is still well lubricated.

You will find with use, that the Low Friction Polymer Wear Plates will wear the shiny zinc coating off the Way Tubes in areas, creating “bare” areas of the metal, as well as light scoring marks in areas of repeated use. This is normal, but will be protected as you apply WD-40 to the Way Tubes with each day’s use. If your hitch is unused for more than a day or it is in storage, rust can form quickly in these areas. If rust does form, simply use steel wool or lightly sand those areas. Never let your tubes become pitted with rust, as it may cause the polymer to tear or catch on rough areas. The Wear Plates have a long life expectancy, but depending on how often, and what terrains you are traveling, the polymer will eventually, wear down with time. If the 1/4” polymer plate wears down to 3/16”, it should be replaced.

WARNING: Do not use any lubrication other than a light oil on the Way Tubes of your SuperGlide hitch. Using other lubricants, such as those with a silicone base, will create a residue and may hinder the functionality of the Turntable Cam Arm Assembly. Buildup of old oil and dirt can also create a residue over time and needs to be kept clean."
Old 07-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #12
DrSmart1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrtmem View Post

We had an older Superglide that was a metal slider on metal rails. Pullrite recommended the grahpite back then. The newer Superglides have a Teflon type of plate between the slider and the rails. They have been recommending the WD40 for that style as mentioned by other members.

Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:18 AM   #13
GMH

One thing you may want to add to the “Hook Up” list is to ensure the front storeage door is closed before backing up to within 3” of the pin. I had it up one time and could not close it or the tailgate once hitched. The hitch handle would not stay open so I pinned it open while I pulled ahead so I could close the storeage door. I hooked up and pulled ahead a bit so I could remove the wheel chocks. Did a final check and was horrified to realize that I forgot to un-pin the handle from the open position when I re-connected and could have easily dropped the trailer.

Tags
checklist, fifth wheel