Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
semper fi

3350bhwe

Anyone have the 3350 bhwe and if so, What do you tow it with....
semper fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:03 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I dont have one but that is a nice looking trailer. It matches your tow vehicle better too. Good luck with your search and decision. There are a lot of Passport owners on here and I believe that a wide majority of them really like them.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Keep in mind that the 3350 is a 38' "ultralight box" with very little aerodynamic design. Behind ANY tow vehicle, single or dual rear wheel type, you're going to feel the effects of sidewinds, passing trucks, undulations in the road and any tow vehicle/trailer push/pull that you induce into the steering of the tow vehicle. It will not tow like a 20' travel trailer and you will find that towing anything that large on a busy interstate or that keeping it 'in your lane" on a narrow 2 lane highway is going to make towing "stressful".

As an example, I feel very comfortable with our fifth wheel when towing on the interstate, I tend to get more "tense" when pulling it on a narrow highway with a "drop-off gravel shoulder". Watching the passenger side tires riding on the white line/edge of the pavement while the other side of the trailer is "inches away from the center line, in a curve with 3 or 4 18 wheelers approaching me is not "easy driving". And when I hitch the boat behind the fifth wheel, my stress level goes up considerably....

I'd suspect that you'll see some significant sway and have some significant stress level towing.

Is there a reason you want such a large RV? Few people stay inside when camping, it's more a place to sleep and to eat when it's raining than it is a place to "lounge and look outside" while playing video games. Most of us don't need all the space we have inside. You might find that there are many "very livable floorplans" in smaller RV's without having to tow a "near 40' travel trailer.

This is just my opinon, but I'd tend to believe that with the fifth wheel you were looking at, you'll overload your truck and with this size travel trailer, you'll be getting into "very stressful" towing situations, especially for someone who has limited towing experience. Yes, you can learn, we all do, but few pilots do their "solo flight" in something as complicated or as big as a 747. Most "start small" and work up as they learn. It's much less stressful to do the same with RV towing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
drew999999

I have a 3350BH (not Winter Edition version) and tow it with an F150 Ecoboost. If towing with a 1/2 ton for short or infrequent runs, you may be okay with some work. Just don't expect to 'not know it's there' like you may see on some forums with TTs. I started out with an Equalizer 4pt hitch and while it pulled fairly straight, the side drafts from passing semi's and side winds on the interstate had a little more push/pull than I was comfortable with. I ended up switching to a ProPride hitch which helped things quite a bit after getting it dialed in. I then felt the rear suspension of my truck was too soft and had to do a little work there to get things planted correctly. All in all we really like ours and I'm getting ready to hook up for a short pull to a KOA about 15 minutes from my house in about an hour.

Below is last week's trip. This was about a 100 mile tow with about half being winding 2 lane highways in 20mph winds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	13072  
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
drew999999

Now that I think of it, I somewhat recall reading that the WE in the model has to do with the region it was built in as opposed to my assumption of Winter Edition. Either way it's still a fun toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999999 View Post
Now that I think of it, I somewhat recall reading that the WE in the model has to do with the region it was built in as opposed to my assumption of Winter Edition. Either way it's still a fun toy.

Yes, the WE in the model number is "Western Edition" signifying that the trailer was constructed in Pendleton, Oregon at the "Western Keystone Plant". There are some "slight differences" in model options/accessories when the WE is compared to the Eastern Edition (built in Goshen, IN). The most significant differences is in holding tank/fresh water tank size for most models. The WE models typically have larger tanks but that's not always the case.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:02 AM   #7
Tbos

I have a 2810BH and used to tow with a Silverado 1500 5.3 3:43 4x4. It pulled fine but I was very close to my reader axle max. I upgraded to my F350 so I can buy a 5er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #8
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999999 View Post
I have a 3350BH (not Winter Edition version) and tow it with an F150 Ecoboost. If towing with a 1/2 ton for short or infrequent runs, you may be okay with some work. Just don't expect to 'not know it's there' like you may see on some forums with TTs. I started out with an Equalizer 4pt hitch and while it pulled fairly straight, the side drafts from passing semi's and side winds on the interstate had a little more push/pull than I was comfortable with. I ended up switching to a ProPride hitch which helped things quite a bit after getting it dialed in. I then felt the rear suspension of my truck was too soft and had to do a little work there to get things planted correctly. All in all we really like ours and I'm getting ready to hook up for a short pull to a KOA about 15 minutes from my house in about an hour.

Below is last week's trip. This was about a 100 mile tow with about half being winding 2 lane highways in 20mph winds.

I pulled several 36-40' TTs, a few very long distances. Always with an Equalizer 4 point hitch, bars matched to the weight. I never experienced what you described even in cross winds. Possibly your hitch was not set up correctly but most likely it was the TV. I pulled those mostly with an F250 and later an F350.
I have always wondered how many expensive hitches were added to 1/2 ton trucks that ended up on heavier trucks anyway. My WAG is the money spent on those expensive hitches would have been better used on a TV more equipped for the trailer.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
drew999999

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I pulled several 36-40' TTs, a few very long distances. Always with an Equalizer 4 point hitch, bars matched to the weight. I never experienced what you described even in cross winds. Possibly your hitch was not set up correctly but most likely it was the TV. I pulled those mostly with an F250 and later an F350.
I have always wondered how many expensive hitches were added to 1/2 ton trucks that ended up on heavier trucks anyway. My WAG is the money spent on those expensive hitches would have been better used on a TV more equipped for the trailer.

I really did try to get the EQ dialed in but never felt it tighten up enough for my liking. I'm not one to tout the expensive hitches as lots of people run very successfully with the $500 hitches and love them. The new hitch did help my combo though. When we got our TT, I really questioned if my 1/2 ton could drag it safely. My wife and I agreed that a 3/4 ton was pre-approved if I didn't like the handling. The only reason for spending the money on the propride was knowing the resale value is great and that I would never fit a 3/4 in my garage. Since we're only weekend warriors and not cross country travelers, so far we're happy with sub-300 mile runs. The game plan is to run a few years till our son graduates college and upgrade the TV and TT to a rear living 5th.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
billfoot

I have a 3350BHWE and pulled it for the first year with a 2008 F-150 CrewCab FX4. We bought the 3350 because my wife wanted to be able to sleep 6 adults and 2 kids of our family all together. The F150 pulled the camper well. When loaded up, it does the job but slows down at hills. We pulled our rig over Monteagle mountain to camp at Nickajack Lake without any problems. That being said, my truck had fewer miles than most its age but I still told my wife, 3 hour trips were about as far as I was willing to go with a 9 year old truck. In December, we upgraded to a RAM 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. In pulling the rig from my storage to the dealer for some repairs, this truck pulls the 3350 well with no weight distribution or sway control. I still plan to use what I have for those road trips. After many years of Ford loyalty, when we went to look for a 3/4 ton truck, the RAM had more power, options and was $1500 less than a comparable Ford with X-Plan pricing. In all my years, I never dreamed I would switch to a RAM (Dodge) but so far, I am very impressed with it.
billfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
MarcS

I use to tow our 3350BH with a Silverado 1500. Never really felt comfortable towing with that combo. I have since upgraded to an F350 gasser. I have not yet towed our TT with it.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfoot View Post
I have a 3350BHWE and pulled it for the first year with a 2008 F-150 CrewCab FX4. We bought the 3350 because my wife wanted to be able to sleep 6 adults and 2 kids of our family all together. The F150 pulled the camper well. When loaded up, it does the job but slows down at hills. We pulled our rig over Monteagle mountain to camp at Nickajack Lake without any problems. That being said, my truck had fewer miles than most its age but I still told my wife, 3 hour trips were about as far as I was willing to go with a 9 year old truck. In December, we upgraded to a RAM 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. In pulling the rig from my storage to the dealer for some repairs, this truck pulls the 3350 well with no weight distribution or sway control. I still plan to use what I have for those road trips. After many years of Ford loyalty, when we went to look for a 3/4 ton truck, the RAM had more power, options and was $1500 less than a comparable Ford with X-Plan pricing. In all my years, I never dreamed I would switch to a RAM (Dodge) but so far, I am very impressed with it.
LOL! You sound like you could have been me. After decades of owning dozens of new Ford products (many trucks) I switched to Dodge trucks (Ram) in 2001. I've been totally happy since. Good luck with the truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #13
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfoot View Post
The RAM in my signature was my first Chrysler/FCA truck product ever. I did test drive both an equally equipped Chevy and Ford. Chevy was more even with an eligible employee discount. The Ford was, well a F.O.R.D. It just seemed like the RAM had the best interior and more refined with the coil springs on the rear. Plus, after I sat in the second row of the Megacab, it was a no-brainer.

All jokes aside, any of the "Big 3" 2500/250 trucks will do a competent job of pulling your Passport 3350. I have a similar floor plan with my Bullet and the RAM doesn't break a sweat.

I will offer you advice on using a WDH with sway control on each trip out, short or long. It's best practice to redistribute some of the rear axle weight to the front for drivability. And with sway, you'll never know when you'll that control pulling a 37.5' coach until it's too late.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #14
arch113

Quote:
Originally Posted by semper fi View Post
Anyone have the 3350 bhwe and if so, What do you tow it with....

I have the 3350bh and to it with a 2015 GMC 2500HD(sig) with no problems so far.

Do you have any problem with the on/off switches on your puck lights?