Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 04:52 AM   #1
Firstimer

Any Cougar 24sa owners on here?

Hi, we are new to rving, never owned one, but have wanted to for over 15 years. We are very close to buying a 2017 keystones cougar 24sa. It has private bedroom with Jack and Jill bathroom,couch,rear kitchen.
Does anyone own one? Any opinions? Issues? Since we have never towed before, I'm worried to go bigger. We have a 2003 chevy suburban 1500 to tow it. The drw is 5000 pounds. Bigger is more expensive too. For many weekend trips It will be just my husband and I, some trips one or both of my 4 children (age 16,18) who still live at home will come. My other 2 kids, who are out of state at college will join us infrequently. My plan is to have a nice tent and air mattresses for when all are together, and some or all of my kids will bring friends im sure.
Just wondering if there are any others who own one, or one this size , and if I am being naive to think we will be comfortable if we use it along with tents for big family trip. It does have larger than avg water and propane tanks. It's a big commitment with storage fees, and long financing time. Thank for any input. Nervous but excited to make it official and put money down.
Firstimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:58 AM   #2
Canonman

Looks like a really nice floorplan. We started with a 27' TT pulling with a 2003 F150. One issue we found is that in 2008, the big 3 auto manufactures came out with some major improvements for their truck products both in horsepower/torque and towing capacity.
You might find as we did that towing a large TT (probably close to 8,000# by the time you get it loaded) will be getting close to the limits of the '03 Suburban.
That said, we use tents all the time for grandkids. We usually eat outdoors and have a couple of folding tables for large group occasions so the interior room is not usually an issue unless it starts raining
Most important is to Have FUN and enjoy the camping experience!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0773.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	14093  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
Tbos

My parents put us in a tent while they were in the RV when I was in my teens. We loved it.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
Firstimer

Thank you for responses! I am getting more excited, it's just a huge commitment. We have never spent this kind of money for anything that was not a necessity, but rather a luxury. I thought I was going light lol with 4900 pounds! Our vehicle is rated for 8200-8400, so I'm glad I did not look for Bigger!
Thanks for the comment about teenagers loving the tent! That helps too. We are deciding tonight to put money down or not. I think we got a great deal.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
Dball

As I am finding out also( even with a larger truck) in vest in a good weight distribution hitch. Make it part of the purchase. I wish I had.
Dball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Firstimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dball View Post
As I am finding out also( even with a larger truck) in vest in a good weight distribution hitch. Make it part of the purchase. I wish I had.

Thanks for the insight. We did get that . This unit also has independent suspension between the double tires. So it supposed to allow each tire and side to go over the bumps independently. Did some research on them and they deemed worth it, so we went with cougar beause they include them on this model. I'm also naively excited about the integrated sprayers inside the black tank and the hose hook up outside to run water to black tank to clean it out. Thanks for all the input everyone!!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
Firstimer

Me again, going to pick up the cougar 24sab

Hi again, we are going to pick up our cougar 24sab this weekend. We put new tires on the suburban, had the towing system checked out and are more than adequate for our weight fully loaded. Having a weight distribution and sway bar combo unit installed also. I am bringing the check list that one of the members here posted(thank you!, I'm sorry, I cant remember your name right now) I have a couple questions still.
We are going to take the advice of many on here , and use the trailer for the first time this weekend, close to home to see if there are any issues. Before we go this weekend, I would like to pick up a few items that I think we will need. Would appreciate any opinions on the following. What brands do you use and like or dislike.

*Waste hose..I was looking at Dominator 20 foot with clear angle or camco 20 foot.
*surge protector and power diagnosis 50 amp. I am sold on technology research 34850.
*Camco 22783 TastePURE Drinking Water Hose (5/8"ID x 25') - Lead Free
*Renator M11-0660R Water Pressure Regulator. Brass Lead-free Adjustable Water Pressure Regulator with Gauge for RV, and Inlet Screened Filter
Does anyone use a solar panel? our trailer has a hook up for one.
Does anyone use a water filter also?
Does anyone use a satellite dish?? Husband was looking at hose pricey things

Thank you in advance for any responses! getting excited but still nervous lol
Old 09-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
bill-e

Hi,

You probably only need a 30 amp voltage/surge protector. Many of us use the Progressive Industries unit.

Quote:
Does anyone use a solar panel? our trailer has a hook up for one.
Yes, I have a 200 watt Zamp portable panel and 1000w inverter. Works great but read up on solar before investing.

Quote:
Does anyone use a water filter also?
Camco water filter, pick it up at Walmart.

Quote:
Does anyone use a satellite dish?? Husband was looking at hose pricey things
I have a Dish Tailgater, not very expensive (<$300) and is only $7/month if you already have Dish. DTV has similar options also.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
Tbos

Have fun and enjoy. Let us know how it goes.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 AM   #10
notanlines

Firstimer, first of all let me welcome you to the forum. Lots of good info to be gleaned from these pages!. And believe me when I say most everyone here is excited for you. This is better than a new car.
I'd say that the other posters about covered it, especially the 30 amp surge protector. Also, we kind of favor the Rhino brand sewer hose. Mainly stay with a good quality hose.
A now infamous member of this forum has quoted in the past "an RV should be roomy enough for drinks for six, dinner for four and sleep two." Kids that age belong in tents. And company belong in their own RV, motel rooms or whatever.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #11
Firstimer

Thank you! Picking up the water filter, And rhino hose today after work. Passing the info on inverters and solar and satellite onto hubby, and I may print and frame that quote and hang in the trailer��
Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #12
Firstimer

Thanks, will do!
Old 09-19-2017, 06:22 AM   #13
Firstimer

Just saw the links posted for the items suggested! Thanks, Still figuring out this forum too lol.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

I have had satellite since '08. We have DIRECTV at home so I just take receiver from bedroom. I use the Wineguard carry out.

If you want HD reception, you either have to go with Dish or buy the "travler" dish for DIRECTV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar