Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
mikef

12v Outlet to Run TV

My 2400bh doesn’t have a 12v outlet. I want to run a 32” LED TV off a 120w inverter plugged into a 12v outlet. I have tested it running off a 12 v battery directly to an outlet (used a 10a fuse) and then plugged in a 120w inverter. I have this as a home made battery power pack. All worked fine and ran for a few hours with no issues.

Question is where could I connect to 12v. I believe the stereo will have 12v and the water pump is 12v. Just not sure if they could carry the load. I could also just drill through the pass through storage and run a line from my battery power pack. Can’t believe no 12v from the factory. TIA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It might surprise you how many newer trailers don’t have a 12V socket. When it come to inverters, the closer to the battery you can get the better. The 110V side can be longer without big voltage drop. Long run of 12V can cause voltage drop and inverter issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
mikef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It might surprise you how many newer trailers don’t have a 12V socket. When it come to inverters, the closer to the battery you can get the better. The 110V side can be longer without big voltage drop. Long run of 12V can cause voltage drop and inverter issues.
It is a $10 and 5 minute job if done at the factory. They (Manufacturer) select strange places to save a few dollars.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes they do. I see it every month with the production changes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
GHen

My set up to run my 48” tv is to place the inverter at the batteries, turn off your 110v breakers for everything except the circuit for the tv and then plug your shore power main line into the inverter. My test ran the tv for 10 hours. I have two batteries. As long as you turn off your converter, you would be fine. Just keep anything 110v off, make sure the refer is not on AC. Before I did this I was also looking for a 12v option. This works fine, no risky DIY 12v line running anywhere.

GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:59 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
My set up to run my 48” tv is to place the inverter at the batteries, turn off your 110v breakers for everything except the circuit for the tv and then plug your shore power main line into the inverter. My test ran the tv for 10 hours. I have two batteries. As long as you turn off your converter, you would be fine. Just keep anything 110v off, make sure the refer is not on AC. Before I did this I was also looking for a 12v option. This works fine, no risky DIY 12v line running anywhere.

I'm not looking to discount what you've suggested but could you clarify how running a 12 v line contains a greater degree of risk than what you are suggesting? Stereo shops and teenagers have been doing essentially the same thing by installing large 12 v DC amplifiers in the trunks of cars for many years.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:15 AM   #7
Canonman

My solution was to run a #10 wire hot lead and ground from the battery distribution terminal (fused side) to the entertainment center. The inverter had lugs for a direct connection so I just used spade connectors on the end of the new wiring. The inverter sits permanently (velcro strips) on the shelf below the TV for easy access. This arrangement works all the time with no need to turn anything off. Cool thing is the inverter has a couple of outlets and USB ports so we can also charge the phones and laptops plus a readout that tells me what the battery level is while dry camping.
Very easy-peasy install and inexpensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6427.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	15652  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
Bisjoe

Mine has a 12v outlet, and it’s located right above the entertainment center, and conveniently right next to the TV antenna booster button. No problems running the 24”tv there on a little inverter.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
GHen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm not looking to discount what you've suggested but could you clarify how running a 12 v line contains a greater degree of risk than what you are suggesting? Stereo shops and teenagers have been doing essentially the same thing by installing large 12 v DC amplifiers in the trunks of cars for many years.

True, low amp draw items do not create a risk and I’m not suggesting you are a DIY, but others reading this may be. It’s possible to potentIally start adding more items on a bigger inverters than the original tv or stereo plan. As other suggested, a long distance from one end of a 5r to the other would suggest a heavier gauge wire and I would add a ground cable all the way from the batteries also. 30’ of 10 gauge is different that a teenager pulling 4‘ of 16 gauge to a low amp dash mounted stereo. But those stereo shops with experience pull 6-10 gauge to those big amps, they understand that 12 volts will run hotter than 110v. The more heat, the more potential for fire, just suggestion caution and planning. I’ll locate my big inverters closer to the batteries.

GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
wawagoose

Took 12v of the converter where the. Battery connects, then ran 12 gauge wire through cupboard to anew outlet, works great with a small 200 watt inverter
wawagoose is offline   Reply With Quote