Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
ggates

Question 2016 Laredo BH333 AC unit Freezing

We have been experiencing issues this year with our AC unit in our fairly new Laredo BH333. The unit only comes 1 single 15K BTU unit. We continually find that the trailer does not cool down as we had the first year of ownership. We have had it into the dealer for review and they have found "nothing" wrong. I just finished an 8 day run with the trailer in 90+ temps and found the unit is freezing every day requiring me to run just the hot air from within the trailer to thaw the frozen coil. The temperature was set to 73 degrees and this happened every day. My questions are,
1) From other peoples experience - is the AC unit defective?
2) When the unit AC thaws it "rains" in the cabin from all the melted water.
3) Why would the unit freeze each day? (Note: all filters are clean and there seems to be no blockage of the airflow.
4) If it is 95 degrees outside, what is an expected trailer temperature I should expect with a single AC unit.
5) Has anyone added a second AC and then the trailer cooled down correctly.

I look forward to the forums input. I have another appointment in October for the dealer to investigate the problem but wanted to see what others have experienced.

trailer: 2017 Keystone Laredo BH333 - 50 AMP service - Single AC unit
ggates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

When you are running the a/c, is your fan on "hi-speed"? That is usually necessary to ensure proper airflow across the evaporator.

If you are running your fan on hi-speed, it is possible your refrigerant is low.

A proper-running a/c unit should not freeze up. I live/camp in very high humidity areas and have no problems with freezing. I run one, two and three a/c units depending on the temp and how hard it is to cool the camper. Still no freezing.

You can set your a/c unit to as low of a temp as you want and should not freeze. If you set the temp too low, your a/c may never cycle off... but it should not freeze.

Also, if your a/c is not big enough to cool things down, it will just keep running and never cycle off... assuming a properly functioning unit.

As far as "rain" when the evaporator thaws... that is normal (although the freezing evaporator is not normal).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
SteveC7010

If the unit is freezing up inside the trailer. there are a number of possible causes:

Bent fins will block air flow. Lower air flow and the condensate builds up rather than dropping to the drainage area. Then the freezing starts.

Dirty filter blocks air flow. You said it was clean, but still going to list it.

Dirt in the fins also blocks air flow. I usually clean mine with careful application of blasts of compressed air through a nozzle.

Air has no place to go. This is usually a blocked duct.

The outside of the A/C needs to be clean too. Remove the cover and clean/straighten the fins. When you remove the cover, be careful. There may be a wasp nest or similar in there.

The condensate normally produced by the A/C is drained to the outside of the unit and then runs across the roof to a gutter. You'll want to locate that path and make sure it's clean.

As the previous poster pointed out, these RV A/C units are pretty robust. It they are malfunctioning as you describe, it is a certainty that something is blocked somewhere.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

In almost all models of RV air conditioners, there is a "freeze plug" which is actually a thermistor that monitors the "fin temperature" and automatically turns the compressor off/on to prevent the ice buildup in the evaporator coils. You can usually see the "freeze plug" by removing the filter and using a flash light to shine up into the surface of the evaporator fins. It is a white wire that connects to the control box and the distant end is "stuck into the fins" about 1" below the top of the evaporator. It's the only thing that's "stuck into the fins" so no confusing it with something else. If it has vibrated out or is loose in the fins, it will cause the ice buildup you're experiencing. If it is loose or unplugged, reinstall it in the evaporator fins. If you want, pull it out, wipe it off and then reinsert it about 1/2" to either side of the original location.

All of the previous reasons for icing are valid and common, but nobody mentioned the "freeze plug"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
Terry W.

Ok I had the same issue. The freeze plug JRTJH spoke of was part of my issue. I moved it up, closer to the top of the find. Also on this and my previous unit the block between the return air and delivery air was not seal good letting cold air right back into the return, not good. I used 2 inch wide aluminum tape to correct and all as worked fine for years

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
MarkS

On my AC, there is a damper on the face of the unit which forces air into the duct work. When the AC is working hard, it tends to freeze if the damper is closed. If I open the damper, it does not.

So, during the day, I open the damper so the air blows down from the AC. At night I close it to direct the air to the bedroom. I think I get more air flow with the damper closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
xrated

JRTJH.........you beat me to the draw on your response about the freeze sensor. It's function is similar to the heat sensing bulb and capillary tube on a traditional type A/C unit. If it's loose or has slipped down, or even malfunctioned, it will cause the A/C unit to freeze up.......Think Thermal Expansion Valve being stuck in the open position.

I've also cautioned folks in the past about closing off some of the A/C units outlet registers......although I'm not saying that was/is the cause of this particular issue. Closing off outlet registers affects air flow over the evaporator and can sometime cause freezing too. Lots of "stuff" to go wrong and hard to troubleshoot over the interwebs sometimes.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
mtofell

Something is wrong - a 1 year old A/C should not have dirt on the fins or some plug causing the whole thing to freeze up. If your trailer was 10 years old I could see some of the things being talked about. A 2016 trailer? No way. Take some pictures of the freeze-up if you can't easily demonstrate it and get it back to the dealer ASAP.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
ggates

Thank you everyone for the input. I have the photos of the freeze up and blower fins etc. the thermal couple or freeze wire seems in tact but will have to explore tomorrow. The issue can be reproduced in about 2 to 3 hours of running so will share again with the dealership. I really appreciate the input though!!!
Old 09-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #10
ggates

I checked the thermal freeze wire and it is located about 1/2" from the base of the Evaporator. I would move it but I have an appointment with the dealer and this is still covered under warranty. I will update this blog after my Oct 4th appointment with the final result. Thank you again everyone for your comments.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:32 AM   #11
Racebug

low on Freon. A properly charged AC would not freeze over. The refrigerant temp would be above freezing if properly charged.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:48 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggates View Post
I checked the thermal freeze wire and it is located about 1/2" from the base of the Evaporator. I would move it but I have an appointment with the dealer and this is still covered under warranty. I will update this blog after my Oct 4th appointment with the final result. Thank you again everyone for your comments.
It takes virtually "no effort" to move the freeze sensor to a different location. It's 4 weeks until your dealer appointment and the first thing they will do is "move it to see if it helps" so why not beat them to the punch? You can move it now, then, on Oct 4th you can inform the dealer if it worked and, if it doesn't you can eliminate his first action, probably preventing you from having to make a return appointment 6 weeks after picking up the trailer from that appointment. Remember, depending on your original purchase date, the trailer may well be "out of warranty" when the temperatures are hot and humid enough for the problem to repeat itself. If so, then the "next repair attempt" will be at your expense.

I'd urge you to be "pro-active" and do what you can to fix your problem or at least rule out one of the "delayed checks" the dealer will do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #13
Terry W.

Racebug these unit are a sealed units can not change the unit at all

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laredo