Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
silverbullet18

Problem with waste dump on first trip.

Well we just took our new Cougar out for the first trip and when I got to the dump station i noticed that all the valves were in the open position from the dealer. Needless to say it wasn't a fun adventure. Problem is I have two drains one grey on the rear for the kitchen and one in the middle for black and grey. My first question is what happens when both valves are open at the same time with the cap on. Does black water have a way to back up into the gray because it seemed like waste coming from grey and black when I dumped them. My other problem is that the black doesn't want to completely drain and I'm worried it got clogged somehow. Not sure what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas and Becky
2016 Bullet 269RLS
2010 GMC Sierra 5.3
silverbullet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If the gray and black both dump out one drain and both valves were open with the cap on, then yes eventually the tanks will equalize levels.

Are you figuring the black isn't draining because the panel says 1/3 or 2/3 full? If so, chances are there is toilet paper draped across the sensors. Hook up the black rinser. Shut the valve and stand at the toilet with the toilet flush held open. Watch for water level and have someone watch the panel. When it reads full, if you don't see water in the pipe at the toilet then the issue is with the sensors.

Continue to watch for water at the toilet, and then open the valve when you see water backing up to the toilet. If that doesn't clear the lights then you may have to repeat. Lots of people say the sensors are a joke and don't work anyway. I have never had sensors that don't work properly, just have to keep the tanks clean.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
TAZ23

There is no check valve to prevent liquid from flowing from one tank to the other. If the valves are left open the tanks will equalize themselves. Second, How do you know the black is not empty? If you are relying on the gauge on the control panel, it is common to get a false reading on the sensors. Tp and other waste clings to the sensors and gives a false reading. It's very common
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I bet it was interesting when you took that cap off With the cap on yes all is going to back up taking the path of least resistance, that valve in the back got the gray is probably not piped into the other gray and black tank, so no issue. Now the black and other gray my guess are piped together a "Y " somewhere. So depending on piping that waste could backup into the gray.

Having the black open and depending how long that stay was you could be developing a solid pile in that black tank. What I would suggest is take the cap off attach a sewer hose and if you have one use your black tank flush system to get water in tha black tank to start flushing it out. If not you may need to get a hose and get water into the tank through the toliet.

As far as the gray I would starting to get water into it and start flushing it
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
silverbullet18

I tried the tank rinser and I also have one if the kinds you can stick down in. I am at home trying to get the tanks clean because I seen black water coming from both valves at the dump station. I thought I had them clean and filled with water. I know it's not draining all the way because I disconnected the city water and took a flashlight and shined it down in the toilet and there is two to three in of water still in the bottom and nothing else is coming out of the valves. This is our first time out in this camper and only was out three days but DW used the pooper three or four times. Will this hurt my grey tank. Also this is extremely tough at the house because I live in an HOA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thomas and Becky
2016 Bullet 269RLS
2010 GMC Sierra 5.3
Old 02-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

As you know the key here is keep flushing water into and out of these tanks. If you do have a solid pile, going to have to dissolve that solid say by soaking and try to break it up. may need more turbulence that what you get from a spray. May be also want to add some form of septic chemical to help dissolve it. To my knowledge you are not going to damage that gray tank, they may even be exactly the same mfg tank

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Did you run the rinser long enough to see water all the way up to the toilet? You may need to get some tissue digester for the black tank. Your gray tank will be fine, both tanks are made of the same material.

Fill that black tank ALL the way and then pull the valve. If you fill it with tissue digester from the RV supply store, you can leave it in for a week. We use it on trade-ins that read empty. Add it, agitate it (we use a forklift) by pulling forward and stopping abruptly. Then back up and stop. Let it sit for a week, agitate again and then dump. You could use Rid-X for septic systems, but I wouldn't leave it for a week.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Yeap fill it up, have to get some pressure behind that flush. Sorry, as I type here I recall that RV movie, get enough force behind it and something has to go I think there is a vent pipe that goes to the top of the RV .

As you said without a good place to dump makes it hard, do not want to know how you are even managing now. I do not have a sewer connection here at home near the Rv. At one time I was considering one of those grinders that pump into a normal garden hose that I could use to reach a clean out.

Just be patient, soak, flush soak ...... flush ..... Good Luck please keep us informed

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
silverbullet18

I sure wish there were places you could go and do these types of things. Like I said I live in an HOA and can't really do it at home and can't do it at the dump stations people people are waiting in line. Thanks for the tips though. I'm not a newbie and really frustrated I didn't check the valves on my first trip in my new TT. Never had an issue with dumping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thomas and Becky
2016 Bullet 269RLS
2010 GMC Sierra 5.3
Old 02-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #10
Javi

I can't bring this trailer to the house because of trees overhanging the roadway. So I do a one or two night stay in a local campground with full hookups to clean the trailer and flush the tanks.

Javi
Old 02-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Firewall

Also keep in mind many Cougars are mislabeled. Not sure if the factory workers think it's funny or they really don't know. My black and gray tank labels are among the ones that are backwards, I'm afraid to re-label them now cause I got used to it!
Firewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

We all have done something or other that would make a good campfire By the way every time I bring my rig back from the dealer I go through every thing so that I know what condition things are in. I do not assume valves etc. are in the same state as they were before I took it there. I guess a old timer thing.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #13
TAZ23

Around here we have a dump station at the DNR service cener that is unmanned and can be used at any time. You may want to find out if any dump stations in your area are open around the clock, and if so go in the wee hours of the morning as there will not be many people using them at that time.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #14
ncgrl1

I went to dump the Grey tank on our new Cougar today. Noticed the blue tote sure had a bad odor. Yep, the have the drains labeled wrong. This is our 3rd Cougar, aND 2 out of 3 have had the tanks labeled wrong. This was minor compared to the sink drain leak we had later today. Oh well, rv quality control???
ncgrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #15
CaptnJohn

Before every new camper I add the additional valve at the discharge tube. That way it takes 2 valves to let 'er go. Hose is connected then the outside valve opened. If a problem with other valves stuck open I'll know it and no mess. Around $20 - $25 at CW.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #16
Tbos

I was showing a newbie how to hook up his sewer. He had just picked up his TT new from the dealer that afternoon. When I removed the cap I had water rush everywhere. Thankfully it was clean water and not sewage. I always double check my valves.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #17
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

As I read about these manufacturering issues as well as what I have found in my rig, I am really curious what is in those factory vending machines. Maybe one day I will get an opportunity to visit the factory. I do not think I was charged for the empty caulking tubes found in my belly area.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
As I read about these manufacturering issues as well as what I have found in my rig, I am really curious what is in those factory vending machines. Maybe one day I will get an opportunity to visit the factory. I do not think I was charged for the empty caulking tubes found in my belly area.
I have filled a bucket with the extra screws I have found, and I even have some tools I have found.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #19
B-O-B'03

Not sure if there is a Cabela's around you, but they have dump stations and if you are a club member you can dump for free.

The one closest to us has a credit card operated trap door and if you use you Cabela's Club credit card, they do not charge you.

It is available 24X7.

Cabela's Locations

-Brian
Old 02-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #20
Murphsmom

You might try sanidumps.com. They say they have listings for thousands of dump stations nationwide.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote