Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
TickTock

Thickness of backboard for TV Mount

On the Elite 27RB there is a TV mounted galley side that is attached to a backing board. That same board is accessible from the bedroom. Does anyone know how thick this board is as I do not want to drill through it.

Thanks in advance,
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Jupiterstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
On the Elite 27RB there is a TV mounted galley side that is attached to a backing board. That same board is accessible from the bedroom. Does anyone know how thick this board is as I do not want to drill through it.

Thanks in advance,
I have a Keystone 34 ft. I crawled in the basement and found the studs to hang my 65 inch. So far so good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Jupiterstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
Tbos

You could always remove a screw from the TV mount and measure it. Since they don't go through the board the board is at least that thick.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post

Thanks in advance,
To play it safe I mounted a piece of ply-wood from stud to stud and used that to secure the tv mount.
I later used a piece of paneling from under one of the benches to finish to match.

Most interior walls are 1 1/2in thick ... exterior may only be 1 inch with bonded foam.

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
TickTock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
You could always remove a screw from the TV mount and measure it. Since they don't go through the board the board is at least that thick.
That is a good idea. The mount I want to use has more lag style and the one that is on the front has several smaller screws holding it in. However this is a good start.

Thanks. Now to get down to the basement...
Old 12-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
TickTock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
To play it safe I mounted a piece of ply-wood from stud to stud and used that to secure the tv mount.
I later used a piece of paneling from under one of the benches to finish to match.

Most interior walls are 1 1/2in thick ... exterior may only be 1 inch with bonded foam.

Thanks for the pictures and explanation. In the area I am working with there is already a laminated piece of cabinetry there. Here are a couple of pictures from the internet that represent what I am working with.

The one with the doors is the recessed area that has a TV area. It seems to share the same board as the front mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keystone TV Front.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	11664   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV front 2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	11665   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV back.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	11666  
Old 12-24-2016, 04:31 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just curious. The Internet pictures you posted looks like a swivel mount for both the living area and then turn it around for the bedroom area. That is if your setup is the same. If it is, I wouldn't put a TV on the back side. Maybe you're not wanting to mount a TV. In that case you're limited by the clearance of the sliding doors.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:40 AM   #8
TickTock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Just curious. The Internet pictures you posted looks like a swivel mount for both the living area and then turn it around for the bedroom area. That is if your setup is the same. If it is, I wouldn't put a TV on the back side. Maybe you're not wanting to mount a TV. In that case you're limited by the clearance of the sliding doors.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

This is not a swivel design. It has a solid backing that appears to run the width and length of the cabinet. I am familiar with the setup you are talking about and when we first looked at it that is what I thought as well.

This the TV mount I intend to use. I had them in my old camper and they work great to be able to move a TV from inside to outside.

https://www.lw-eng.com/products/12/R...w-Black-KeBloc
Old 12-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
TickTock

As a follow up to anyone who is searching in the future, it is at least 3/4 of an inch and likely closer to an inch based on the screws i removed from the front. Installed screws that were 3/4 of an inch into the wall and no issues on the other side.

Thanks to all those who replied.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
Tbos

Thanks for posting this follow-up.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #11
Jag2440

Is there an easy way to find where the aluminum studs are? If so what screws are best to attach a tv mount to it and how much weight will it hold
Jag2440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:47 AM   #12
TickTock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag2440 View Post
Is there an easy way to find where the aluminum studs are? If so what screws are best to attach a tv mount to it and how much weight will it hold
I imagine a stud finder would find the aluminum studs. As for mounting a TV - these products work great and if you don't need the TV to swivel left to right, they keep it close to the wall with a pivot up/down. I have used these in two different campers. They also allow for easy removal of the TV

https://www.lw-eng.com/products/12/R...w-Black-KeBloc

Tags
tv mount