Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
mfifield01

Black flush every time?

Do you need to use your black flush every time you go camping?

I have been trying to flush at the end of camping trips, but sometimes it is difficult. Most of the Texas state parks don't have sewer hookup, so you need to go to a dump station in the park. Usually someone is waiting on me to dump. Typically it takes 3 tank fulls to see good clear water.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
FlyingChief

I use the black tank flush every time I dump.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Desert185

If I have folks waiting behind me I use the black tank flush during the drain cycle to provide a bit more motive flow to the process. When its time to close the black tank drain, I leave the flush running for a couple of minutes while draining the gray tanks. This puts a few gallons of water into the black tank, so I just have to squirt some Dawn into the toilet (after I get out of the way) for the next cycle.

If I'm at a site that has a sewer connection, then I do the flush cycles as needed until I get a relatively clean flow.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Mike484

I dont even hook up the sewer hose until we are ready to leave (unlees its a long stay), then I flush the black tank.

About the only time I dont flush is if it is just an over night and we are headed to another park.

I never put the trailer away into storage unless I flush the tanks first.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
If I have folks waiting behind me I use the black tank flush during the drain cycle to provide a bit more motive flow to the process. When its time to close the black tank drain, I leave the flush running for a couple of minutes while draining the gray tanks. This puts a few gallons of water into the black tank, so I just have to squirt some Dawn into the toilet (after I get out of the way) for the next cycle.

If I'm at a site that has a sewer connection, then I do the flush cycles as needed until I get a relatively clean flow.
How do you flush the black tank at a dump station? I have not traveled out of state much, but in Virginia, all you get at a state park dump station is a spray nozzle to rinse out the sewer hose. It doesn't have a hose connection I can connect to the black tank flush. I can flush at the camp site prior to departure, but not sure how to flush at the dump station.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
Desert185

There is usually a water faucet at the dump sites where I go.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Check the nozzle at the dump station. I did and found it unscrews, than removed the nozzle and used the tank flush at the nearby state park.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
Tbos

I flush every time I can and never put it storage without flushing. At the Delaware State Good Sam rally (Samboree) there was a line. There was a water spigot but with the line I dumped the black tank. Closed the valve. Ran the pump so we could put a few bowls of water down the toilet and then dumped it again, followed by the gray tank. Also put some water and chemicals in for the trip home. Fortunately, we are blessed to have a dump station with a spigot on base near our storage. That's our back up if needed.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
bobbecky

If no water spigot is available, and you have water in your fresh tank, you could turn on your pump to use your outside shower faucet with a hose connected to the flush to rinse out your tank, and if you are worried about contaminating the hose, a check valve could be used at the end of the hose connected to the flush fitting.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
Cbrez

Good tips all. I will be more observant at the dump station when we visit a state park next month. There is obviously more opportunity to flush the black tank than I ever considered. Thanks everyone.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
14george

Flush mine every time
Old 10-01-2016, 04:17 AM   #12
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Do you need to use your black flush every time you go camping?

I have been trying to flush at the end of camping trips, but sometimes it is difficult. Most of the Texas state parks don't have sewer hookup, so you need to go to a dump station in the park. Usually someone is waiting on me to dump. Typically it takes 3 tank fulls to see good clear water.
We are primarily Texas state park campers. We tend to "head back" mid morning before everybody else drags out of bed. I've yet to have to wait in a long line. Actually only once at Garner that I recently remember. Others waiting in line understand. Anyway, when I flush the black tank, I am not filling it to capacity and dumping it. I use the black tank flush/wash connection for a couple minutes. Also use the famous "toilet wand" we picked up at Walmart. Seems to do a fine job.
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #13
mfifield01

I will probably do a modified flush based on the camping location. If it's Texas State Park, I'll just run the back flush with the tank open for a few minutes. If I have full hookups, I'll fill it about 3 times.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to consider: "Solids sink and paper clumps"...

So, to use your RV toilet "on a campsite" without moving it will probably give you a condition where the solids and paper is sitting on the bottom of the black tank and not easily "dumped". Towing a couple hundred yards to the dump station probably won't do much to "suspend the solids", so you'll still be facing some difficulty with completely dumping your black tank. Both of these conditions tend to make using the black tank flush system a good choice. But, depending on the line of traffic behind you and the availability of water connections, that might be a bad time to dump and try to flush the black tank.

If, however, you have the capability to tow for several miles (to your storage location or closer to home or your next campsite), the "rocking and rolling" that normally happens with towing will do much to "break up and suspend" solids in the tank. Dumping (after towing a substantial distance) on the way "into the campground" or "immediately after setup" will give you a much better potential to get the solids and paper to flow out of the tank. Then, using the black tank flush system is more effective to "clean the walls and sensors" without having to tackle the "goop on the bottom" of the tank.

We've found that if we are travelling, the easiest and most efficient time to dump is "at the end of a travel day, as we're entering the campground (if we don't have full hookups) or when we get set up on site (if we do have full hookups). For us, after towing all day, setting up on a campsite, it's just a matter of pulling the black tank handle and then relaxing with an adult beverage while the tank empties. A few minutes later, just push the black tank valve closed and it's done. We use the flush system "occasionally" during trips and mainly, for us, it's there for when we winterize and want the tank completely empty and "as clean as we can get it" for prolonged storage. For the most part, my thoughts are, why spend a lot of time and effort to clean it just to get it dirty again with the first toilet use"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:51 AM   #15
GaryWT

Re: Black flush every time?

I have never used a dump station as we always have full hook ups. I dump before we go and run some water through the toilet for a bit before closing the valve and adding aqua-chem. As for using the black tank flush, I hook up the hose and use that 2-3 times a year and all is fine with the system.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #16
tommy_z

Nobody wants to be "that guy" holding up the dump line. But I respect what needs to be done, and be patient.

For me, black tank flush every time I dump. Open the black dump valve, then the black flush water almost immediately. When it sounds like it's slowing down, the grey dump valve gets opened. When that's about done I'll turn off the black flush water, shut both drains, clean up and pull out.

Having your stuff prep'd and ready helps alot. Everything I need is in the driver side storage compartment for quick access when I'm at the dump station.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #17
camperbrian

My black tank flush is on the opposite site of the trailer from the black tank valves. Is this normal? In order to completely flush I would need to make 3 trips around the dump station since the water line wont reach to the other side of the trailer. What a horrible design.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #18
mfifield01

Mine is the same. I carry a cheap 50' hose for flushing and any thing other than fresh water.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #19
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbrian View Post
My black tank flush is on the opposite site of the trailer from the black tank valves. Is this normal? In order to completely flush I would need to make 3 trips around the dump station since the water line wont reach to the other side of the trailer. What a horrible design.

I carry a second garden hose specifically for the black tank flush. I hook it up with a Y and a separate pressure regulator and back flow prevention valve. Probably overkill but worth it. I hook it up the same time I hook up the regular water. That way it's there when I need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #20
poppin_fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I carry a second garden hose specifically for the black tank flush. I hook it up with a Y and a separate pressure regulator and back flow prevention valve. Probably overkill but worth it. I hook it up the same time I hook up the regular water. That way it's there when I need it.
If you wanted, you could do away with the back flow preventor and the regulator. The black tank flush already has a back flow prevention built in and the regulator might actually be reducing your ability to spray the tank as clean as it could be.

You actually want high water pressure to do a good job of spraying stuff in the tank. Since you cant shut off the water flow, there is no "pressure" on the plumbing components of the tank flusher so high water pressure is of little concern.
poppin_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote