Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
Rich.D12

Dometic/Atwood RV-1735 Pilot won't stay lit

So the Dometic Oven pilot light in our 2018 Impact wouldn't stay lit. I took the entire assembly apart and can't see anything wrong with the gas control so I got a new Thermocouple in the mail today.

I installed the new thermocouple and the pilot still will not stay lit even after holding the flame open for a full 60 seconds. The end of the Thermocouple was glowing red so it should have been plenty warmed up.

Any ideas as to whether the spring loaded unit at the other end of the Thermocouple can malfunction? If not, any ideas as to where I should look next?

TIA
A very frustrated Richard
Rich.D12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

The thermocouple operates the gas control. If you replaced the thermocouple and it still does not stay lit, it is likely the gas control that is bad.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
Rich.D12

So I did discover what the problem was after going out and testing the Thermocouple for proper operation. Both Thermocouples (Old and New) were going up to 4mv+ when heated, after removing the control knob and just pressing on the spline, the pilot stayed lit. I had seen a video of a guy fixing his Atwood oven and he had put some tinfoil in the bottom of the knob recess to push the Gas Control in a little bit more. He had also tired installing a new Thermocouple and that did not fix his problem either.

Looks like this was the issue here, the knob was impeding proper operation of the solenoid by not pushing the spline in far enough.

Instead of deleting this thread I figured I would explain what the fix was incase someone else runs into the same issue.

Easy fix but not one that someone may think to do.

Richard
Old 10-04-2023, 11:13 AM   #4
Felgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.D12 View Post
So I did discover what the problem was after going out and testing the Thermocouple for proper operation. Both Thermocouples (Old and New) were going up to 4mv+ when heated, after removing the control knob and just pressing on the spline, the pilot stayed lit. I had seen a video of a guy fixing his Atwood oven and he had put some tinfoil in the bottom of the knob recess to push the Gas Control in a little bit more. He had also tired installing a new Thermocouple and that did not fix his problem either.

Looks like this was the issue here, the knob was impeding proper operation of the solenoid by not pushing the spline in far enough.

Instead of deleting this thread I figured I would explain what the fix was incase someone else runs into the same issue.

Easy fix but not one that someone may think to do.

Richard
Thanks a lot; just solved the same problem for me after coming across your post through a Google search...
Felgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:01 PM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgar View Post
Thanks a lot; just solved the same problem for me after coming across your post through a Google search...
Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-04-2023, 12:12 PM   #6
Rich.D12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgar View Post
Glass it helped at least one person.

Cheers

Tags
dometic