Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
rustyfisher

Passport - Harbor Decor: stain color?

I would like to make a few mods to my new Keystone 267BH (bunk ladder, pantry shelves), but I'm hesitant if I can't match the stain color to the existing wood. Has anyone had luck trying to match the stain color when modding woodwork?
rustyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Your best bet is to take a cabinet door with the color stain you're trying to match to a "paint store" like Sherwin Williams and get their advice. Remember that "antique oak stain" will look different on pine or on oak, so the species of wood you're going to use is as important as the color of the stain....

Relying on Keystone to give you a "stain brand/color number" just isn't going to happen in my experience. Even if you get that information (which I'd bet you won't) if they built your trailer woodwork using Poplar and you use Pine or Spruce, the stain won't match when you're finished....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
Bill-2020

I bought a few small cans of stain, some small pieces of red oak, pine, poplar and another I can't remember. I found a combination of two layers of different color stain produced a very close color and grain depth on the oak. What a pain!
Old 09-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I bought a few small cans of stain, some small pieces of red oak, pine, poplar and another I can't remember. I found a combination of two layers of different color stain produced a very close color and grain depth on the oak. What a pain!
That's why I suggested Sherwin Williams (or another "true" paint store)... You or I "do it one time, then forget what combination worked in a couple of years. Those guys and gals deal with color matching every day, all day long... Many of them can look at a finished cabinet door, ask what species of wood you're using and go to the shelf and pick up a can of stain that will give you the result you want....

Me, on the other hand, I can't remember what I had for breakfast much less what brand,, color and gloss level finish stain I might have used 4 or 5 years ago....

Ask the experts LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-08-2020, 04:23 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

To John's point... Take a piece of scrap wood of whatever you're going to use with you. When I did some matching wood work I just ripped a piece about the size of a paint stirring stick, sanded it down reasonably, and took that with me. A real paint store wil open a can of stain and dab it on to match the finished wood.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:36 AM   #6
rustyfisher

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I've had decent luck with woodworking and matching stain, just not necessarily with camper mdf.

I'll probably start with trying to find a piece I can take out without getting in too far and try to match. The other option I've seen since my initial post is going the Trekwood.com route - which should match exactly, although an expensive option.

I'll post when I have something. I really need to get a ladder built asap - both kids had issues with getting in and out of the bunks this last weekend.
rustyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:21 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfisher View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've had decent luck with woodworking and matching stain, just not necessarily with camper mdf.

I'll probably start with trying to find a piece I can take out without getting in too far and try to match. The other option I've seen since my initial post is going the Trekwood.com route - which should match exactly, although an expensive option.

I'll post when I have something. I really need to get a ladder built asap - both kids had issues with getting in and out of the bunks this last weekend.
Most of the MDF is finished with "vinyl overwrap"... Think of the old Contact Paper... If you're trying to "stain match vinyl overwrap" it's going to be a difficult uphill battle... About the only "stained wood" in most trailers is the "stained luan" flat goods used as cornice and the "hardwood cabinet doors and cabinet stiles" that very often are poplar, stained to resemble "true hardwood"... Even then, much of the poplar is covered with vinyl overwrap.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most of the MDF is finished with "vinyl overwrap"... Think of the old Contact Paper... If you're trying to "stain match vinyl overwrap" it's going to be a difficult uphill battle... About the only "stained wood" in most trailers is the "stained luan" flat goods used as cornice and the "hardwood cabinet doors and cabinet stiles" that very often are poplar, stained to resemble "true hardwood"... Even then, much of the poplar is covered with vinyl overwrap.
Yep, not wood, just a picture of wood.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
Gegrad

I actually pursued this back in 2015 or so on my old Passport. Keystone actually gave me the name of the cabinet maker for my trailer and the name of the stain color. Unfortunately it was a double glaze stain, so it would have been impossible for me to duplicate. It was also not from a brand you could buy in stores anywhere, so no one could look that color up on their computers. Best bet is do do like others have suggested and take a door in to a store to match.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport