Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
mr_scottyj8

Underglow

I know it’s a touchy subject but I want to add some underglow to my outback. I know people dislike this because of fellow campers.

Let me preface it with “I agree” that’s why I’m looking for something that changes color/ dims.

Over heard that underglow helps deter rodents/ animals.

Have anyone added any? If so what type of leds/ controller did you use. Bluetooth would be cool so you can set a automatic “off” time to not annoy neighbors.

Thanks in advance!
mr_scottyj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I personally appreciate your interest in not annoying fellow campers. I've been beside folks that must have thought the gaudy lights under the trailer was a Godsend to all the other campers....they weren't/aren't. Dimming, low light is a good thing. Remember, when I'm sitting out front in my lawn chairs and I or my guests are illuminated by the "lighting" of the adjoining unit....they need to go off or way down.

As far as deterring rodents or animals - I've never witnessed it. The lights should go out when you go to bed so that won't do any good for small rodents. As far as animals, I've had skunks sit 6' away from me using the provided lighting to see/find food. Raccoons the same. Had a bear tear out the side of a tent with a Coleman lantern on so I'm thinking the glow lights won't have any impact on those things.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
Bill-2020

I suspect the critters you're thinking of that will be deterred by the lights will only return after the lights are off.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
BauerAP

Had them on the last camper and added them to our current. Just used one of the amazon waterproof rgbw. I would recommend buying the plastic clips. Wiped down the frame with alcohol and ran them down the frame.
I do leave them on all night at times. As far as being obtrusive to other campers, I’d say the stock cool white awning strip or the yellow bug light is more irritating. Only have them on the door side.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I would look for evidence in print that what your wanting to do that for is really true. If you just want to do it since you think it will look cool, well yeah it could be annoying to some and not so to others. Myself I would not like to be camped next to it, but there are many other things that are much worse. None of us can please everyone.
It might be fun and cool for kids and annoying to older folks, who knows until you get responses.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:38 AM   #6
BrooksFam

I have not heard of them being a deterrent, but have had lights under coaches, but just for looks. Maybe a particular color works best to deter pests? Interested to find out if its true.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:58 AM   #7
bearcat77

I always add them to my camper. As previously stated, they are way less annoying than the super bright awning strips that are right in your face. They do not keep away pests, however they do make it easier to see them coming. They pretty much all come with remotes that change brightness and color. I put mine on with clear silicone caulk.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4199.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	29589
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:46 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

JMO but I find the lights annoying, BUT I can be a good neighbor and live with them as long as the owner is a good neighbor and turns them off when they go to bed.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:01 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

I just love to hear all these stories how folks buy campers to "get back to nature", "enjoy the great outdoors", "camp off grid in the wild".

Meanwhile, 4 wheelers "tearing it up" during the day, generators running at night with microwaves buzzing, stereos and TV's blaring outside, and campsite lighting that rivals the Vegas strip.

Thank heavens we can get outside and relax!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:11 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

We have issues with foxes and pigs coming right to the house as my wife has set a bird feeder out (on 10' pole) to feed the squirrels (well the birds "dip their beaks once in awhile". The pigs play havoc with our landscaping rock (lava rock) and retaining stones (they knock this stuff all over) and the foxes are looking for something that eats the birdseed on the ground. We started keeping a BRIGHT spot light on the area about a year ago and the critter issue stopped. Haven't had a pig under the bird feeder since (not sure about foxes).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
We have issues with foxes and pigs coming right to the house as my wife has set a bird feeder out (on 10' pole) to feed the squirrels (well the birds "dip their beaks once in awhile". The pigs play havoc with our landscaping rock (lava rock) and retaining stones (they knock this stuff all over) and the foxes are looking for something that eats the birdseed on the ground. We started keeping a BRIGHT spot light on the area about a year ago and the critter issue stopped. Haven't had a pig under the bird feeder since (not sure about foxes).
George, from reading your numerous posts on the mice in your house and camper my guess would be that their food source is no longer out there. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #12
dutchmensport

I live in the country with corn and bean fields in front and behind the house. We have neighbors on adjoining properties. The closest "town" is 6 miles, any direction. Our house has lights all over it. But ever since we've lived here (12 years now), we have never turned on the lights, unless the dogs and neighbor dogs start barking, just to detour coyotes that might be approaching. (they do not like light), or we have guests coming or leaving after dark so they can navigate the yard.

So, with no lights on, night time is incredible where I live. Moonlight makes visibility at night as easy to see through as daylight. I can let my dogs out at night, even in non-moonlit nights, and see where they are all the time. Any movement is easily seen, even on the darkest of nights. The eyes adjust and it's amazing how awesome things are at night. No fear of intruders. When the dogs bark, you know something is "out there", usually a wild animal, skunk, opossum, raccoon, rabbit, deer or coyote. Do you have ANY idea how amazing it is to watch deer at night?

But, let one car come down the road, or let a car pull into the neighbors property with head lights on, and all of a sudden .... you can't see anything except the glaring light. Your night vision is immediately destroyed and you are now blinded from seeing anything except that bright light.

Living in the country is wonderful, and I absolutely love to go outside at night and just sit and watch what happens with nature. It is awesome.

Unless we are camping in the middle of the week and the campground is pretty much empty, we never experience this when camping. Many times we wonder why we've left the "country" to visit Las Vegas.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

My wife loves to feed critters; 8 dogs at present. 3 indoor cats and a couple outdoor. Have FOUR (4) pet doors to control flow for critters of dffering sizes. Largest puppy is well over 100 lbs and smallest weighs in at a fighting weight of 3 lbs. We feed the outside cats in a feeder up on the wall of one of our car ports, feed the birds on a feeder hung on a 10' PVC pole. The ground under the pole is always covered with oiled sunflower seed husks and needs to be cleaned now and again. I have to get a pole saw and trim the tree that overhangs as the squirrels use it to jump onto the bird feeder. Mice are just a way of life out in the country and when you feed the outside cats, they seem to get a tad lazy. The outside cat feeder pic was taken with a game camera and the star is a guy named BUSHY!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bushy.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	29593   Click image for larger version

Name:	cactus_small.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	29594  
Old 09-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My wife loves to feed critters; 8 dogs at present. 3 indoor cats and a couple outdoor. Have FOUR (4) pet doors to control flow for critters of dffering sizes. Largest puppy is well over 100 lbs and smallest weighs in at a fighting weight of 3 lbs. We feed the outside cats in a feeder up on the wall of one of our car ports, feed the birds on a feeder hung on a 10' PVC pole. The ground under the pole is always covered with oiled sunflower seed husks and needs to be cleaned now and again. I have to get a pole saw and trim the tree that overhangs as the squirrels use it to jump onto the bird feeder. Mice are just a way of life out in the country and when you feed the outside cats, they seem to get a tad lazy. The outside cat feeder pic was taken with a game camera and the star is a named BUSHY!
This recommendation wouldn't work 'cause of your outdoor cats, also not camping. For chasing critters the best thing I'm aware of are the "motion control water sprayers". That'll get them scattering quickly.

We have groundhogs, field mice, non venomous snakes and enough squirrels and rabbits to keep a pack of red fox happy. We have a regular red fox that visits most nights and capture his visits on the security cam. And by the way, he troops the bright motion sensing lights which has zero affect on his actions.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

I don't run the game camera very often. Originally put it to keep watch that racoons were not able to jump into the cat feeder. The water dish is often filled with pieces of cat food (ala the coons) and found this to be because the big blue birds like to eat the cat food and get it in the water dish. Not sure on the species of bluebirds but the males have blue color on top and gray on the bottom and are not Eastern Bluebirds as they are slightly larger than doves and have a long sharp beak and the other birds including doves and cardinals are scared of them.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

We have motion activated security lights on every corner of the house and on the pole barn to go along with the security cameras that monitor most of those lights... Since they were installed, we've recorded all kinds of "critters" from two-legged kinds as well as 4-legged ones. The only ones that seem to be "afraid of the lights" are the two-legged ones... ALL of the four-legged ones keep on "keeping on" regardless of the lights... Everything from bear to elk, deer, skunks, coons, fox, porcupines, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, or field mice seem to have no "fear of the bright lights".... The same goes for the "no-legged variety" as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

This conversation about outdoor lights and repelling animals reminded me a little steakhouse I used to like to go to in and adjoining town (since shut down). A section of the dining room was the "viewing area" where they had one large corner (2 walls intersecting at a corner) with both walls of solid glass panels. The draw there was mother nature. The entire 2 sides were lit with floodlights around the lower perimeter of the walls. After dark the "critters" would come all around those walls. Of course they were enticed with biscuits pitched out but those animals were definitely not afraid of the lights; skunks, raccoons, foxes etc. would make a nightly appearance to gather up whatever was left around for them to get. Pretty entertaining. I think the same goes for lighting your campsite. Instead of the animal having to use its senses, we just light up the target and make it that much easier....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
I have not heard of them being a deterrent, but have had lights under coaches, but just for looks. Maybe a particular color works best to deter pests? Interested to find out if its true.
Well your results may vary, but we full time park host. One of our favorite sites has a terrible mouse problem. We placed a pretty bright LED light strip around our trailer. I also place a strip around the inside of the engine compartment on our 2016 Ram diesel, before I installed the lights rodents tore up a battery blanket, installed new blankets and the lights and no more issues!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #19
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I just love to hear all these stories how folks buy campers to "get back to nature", "enjoy the great outdoors", "camp off grid in the wild"...……..
Thank heavens we can get outside and relax!
Well, that's not us, we are boaters (watersports) so we need to camp at a lake as most camper/boaters do. We aren't hard partiers or anything like that, or disruptive in the CG (usually ) but we camp to be at the lake, not in nature so much. Isn't that what back packers and hikers do...……….

We have mellowed a bit in our old age though
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #20
Pull Toy

My BETTER HALF says I'm a grumpy old man! I concur!

Having said that.... I rank GLOW LIGHTS right up there with LOUD EXTERIOR SPEAKERS, BURNING YOUR GARBAGE, CUTTING THRU CAMPSITES, BEER BASHES AT 2300, BON FIRES(over 3 feet tall), etc ad infinitum! Don't even get me started on the LIGHT SHOW PROJECTORS on the side of your camper.

You're here to enjoy camping, not to make a spectacle of yourself! All this CR^P may just tell the critters where the party is! Turn it down, and enjoy the nature and be a considerate neighbor.

Put your da*n neon Palm Tree up, and go to bed.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote