Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
sahively

Adding another vent

Hi all. New Keystone owner but not at all new to trailers and modding them. Curious about adding a master bedroom vent (so odd our new one doesn't have one). Anyone ever cut through their roof? Making certain I don't hit wiring has me concerned of course so if there's any experience to share here, I'm eager to hear it.
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
notanlines

It certainly can be done, but a number of things to watch out for of course. First, make sure you have spotted it EXACTLY where you want it, and then center it between two roof beams. To make sure no wiring is cut, use your Skill saw set to a VERY shallow cut and cut only the roof materials and the plywood.
You will then see the exposed insulation and any significant wiring. Cutting into the ceiling can then be done from the bedroom side. I might add, you should attempt to install two wood supports (beams) to firm up the framing and the vent itself. Installation and self-leveling dope should be self-explanatory. Let us see the photos of finished product.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
sahively

Great info! Thank you for this. Now I have to decide whether to cut into my girl when she's not even a week old.
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahively View Post
Great info! Thank you for this. Now I have to decide whether to cut into my girl when she's not even a week old.
If you do "cut into your girl" and in the next three years, happen to have a water leak issue, you can all but bet that Keystone is going to deny your claim for "roof issues"..... Think long and hard about "modifying your roof" with the "frequent problems and long history" of leaking roofs on RV's......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #5
Mastrblastr

Added an extra vent to my trailer right in front of the console between the bedroom and kitchen. Like notanlines said, measure, measure and remeasure to make sure you have it exactly where you can PUT it, not where you WANT it. That includes checking out the inside as well as the outside of your trailer. I removed the light fixture that was where I wanted to put my vent and did a little fishing with a straightened out coat hanger to get a feel for where the roof trusses were. Used my Rotozip to cut an exploratory hole where I wanted the vent to go so I could feel around for wires etc. Measured out the hole for the vent and cut the interior panelling with a razor knife. Amazing how fast that knife goes through that panelling! Once I got the panelling and insulation off, I could clearly see the trusses and what I had to do. Measured and drilled a new hole for the light fixture and moved the wires for the light fixture to get them out of the way. Built and installed the wood cross ties that tie together the trusses and strengthen the roof. Cordless drill with a long drill bit in the corners of the new vent box established the holes through the roof. Went up top and used a square to mark out the lines from the holes I drilled through the roof. Used a jigsaw with a metal blade to cut the hole as the finer metal blade doesn’t grab the roof material as bad. Cleaned everything up and installed the vent and done! I have a couple pics of the truss supports I built. They had to be ripped to width due to the curvature of the roof and then notched to fit into the steel roof trusses. Made some angle corner braces to screw everything together. Turned out good. Didn’t take any pics of the roof opening as it was really hot that day!

Tags
vent