Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2022, 01:17 PM   #1
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Battery not charging

First off please forgive me cause I really don't know much about electrical stuff on my camper.

My issue is, I brought my camper to Florida to a relatives house for the winter. Her son put in a plug for me. My camper is 50AMP, but I told her it didn't matter if it was 30 or 50 as I won't need to run both airs at the same time.

He went ahead and did 30. I got here, plugged it in, and the surge protector said it was reverse polarity. We could not figure out what the issue was. I said something about 110 power and the guy who installed it said oh it's 100? He apparently hooked it up to 220. After redoing it, it started working.

Problem is, during the figuring out process he unhooked my surge protector. Not sure if that's what caused the problem, but now my battery won't charge. Currently I have a portable battery charger hooked up and it works fine so I know there's something wrong with the charger on the camper.

Thing is, I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm wondering if there is some kind of fuse that may have blown? Or something else?

Can anyone offer some suggestions as to what it might be and how and where I check it?

Any help would be fantastic. Thank you.

2021 Keystone Outback 330RL
Anastasia Beaverhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:38 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

OK... plugged in and got a "reverse polarity" error. If you had an EMS (Electrical Management System), the power would have been shut down. It obviously didn't and you may wish to ask for recommendations on a good EMS. I use a Progressive.

In any case, power now sorted but the batter isn't charging via the converter. There are a couple of fat largish fuses in proximity to the converter in most cases. Since you camper year, make and model and the make/model of converter are not known, I would suggest finding the converter. Determine the make and model at a minimum for more specific suggestions. Mine is behind my power center. There are reverse polity fuses and if you have a WFCO power center this video may help:

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

First off, why would he remove an EMS that from your narrative sounds like it was hard wired. Second, what are you using to plug the plug the 50 Amp camper into the 30 Amp receptical?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:52 PM   #4
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OK... plugged in and got a "reverse polarity" error. If you had an EMS (Electrical Management System), the power would have been shut down. It obviously didn't and you may wish to ask for recommendations on a good EMS. I use a Progressive.

In any case, power now sorted but the batter isn't charging via the converter. There are a couple of fat largish fuses in proximity to the converter in most cases. Since you camper year, make and model and the make/model of converter are not known, I would suggest finding the converter. Determine the make and model at a minimum for more specific suggestions. Mine is behind my power center. There are reverse polity fuses and if you have a WFCO power center this video may help:

I have a 2021 Keystone Outback 330RL.

Old 12-06-2022, 05:54 PM   #5
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
First off, why would he remove an EMS that from your narrative sounds like it was hard wired. Second, what are you using to plug the plug the 50 Amp camper into the 30 Amp receptical?
I really have no clue what an EMS is.

I have a 50 to 30 reducer to plug it into the 30amp outlet.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:29 PM   #6
bobbecky

An EMS is a surge protector that really protects your rig from too high or too low voltage, wrong polarity, and several other issues besides a voltage surge which rarely ever happens. This is one as an example: https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...s%2C228&sr=8-3
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:21 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I misread your first post. A plain surge protector will not protect against st a mis-wired outlet. By plugging in the camper you may have damaged the converter and the surge protector depending on model.. I'd recommend getting a competent electrician to correctly wire the outlet and check out the camper.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:37 AM   #8
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Ok, so let's just forget everything I said in my first post.

Everything in the camper is working fine as it should be. The surge protector is just fine also, all the lights indicate it is ok.

The only problem I am having is the battery won't charge when plugged into shore power or my truck. I have a portable charger on it and it charges fine. So, whatever charges the battery on my camper is not working properly.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:01 AM   #9
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen View Post
Ok, so let's just forget everything I said in my first post.

Everything in the camper is working fine as it should be. The surge protector is just fine also, all the lights indicate it is ok.

The only problem I am having is the battery won't charge when plugged into shore power or my truck. I have a portable charger on it and it charges fine. So, whatever charges the battery on my camper is not working properly.
The converter is what charges the battery. See WiredGeorge's post #2 and link related to checking its fuses. The converter is likely behind the power distribution center panel (where your AC breakers and 12v fuses are located). If not comfortable doing so, perhaps have an electrician/RV tech out to troubleshoot.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:01 AM   #10
notanlines

See your "Quando omni flunkus moritati." Now think of your converter.
By the way, you're still keeping your model and year a secret from us.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:07 AM   #11
RollaMo

Quote:
I have a 2021 Keystone Outback 330RL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
He listed that in post #4
Old 12-07-2022, 06:13 AM   #12
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
He listed that in post #4
I'm a she, not a he.,..

Old 12-07-2022, 06:14 AM   #13
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
See your "Quando omni flunkus moritati." Now think of your converter.
Can you not see it in my profile?

Old 12-07-2022, 06:18 AM   #14
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
The converter is what charges the battery. See WiredGeorge's post #2 and link related to checking its fuses. The converter is likely behind the power distribution center panel (where your AC breakers and 12v fuses are located). If not comfortable doing so, perhaps have an electrician/RV tech out to troubleshoot.
I don't see the 40 amp fuses like in the video.

How do I post a picture in here?

Old 12-07-2022, 06:44 AM   #15
Mr. Rusty

My 2022 330rl has a WFCO 9855 Deck mount converter and it is behind the power supply panel. You need to remove the power supply panel to see it and check the fuses. Her is an Amazon link so you can see what you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF9855-W...71751692&psc=1

Before removing the power supply panel make sure you turn off ALL power by unplugging the shore power and turning off your battery switch. The panel has both 110v AC and 12v DC connections. If I remember correctly the panel has 2 screws to remove then you should be able to move it out of the way to get to the converter.

The converter fuses are 40 amp and are located on the end of the converter.
2022 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Mr. Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:01 AM   #16
RollaMo

Quote:
I'm a she, not a he.,..
Sorry about that.

Quote:
People really shouldn't need to go look at someones profile in order to find that information.
Users should always give out as much information about their equipment as possible when describing issues in a post.

But since you did add that information to your #4 post that should help.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:39 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Just a thought, have you confirmed the breaker isn't tripped? By confirm I mean turn the breaker fully off then back on. A visual check can be deceiving as often the breaker doesn't look to be tripped when in fact it is.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #18
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just a thought, have you confirmed the breaker isn't tripped? By confirm I mean turn the breaker fully off then back on. A visual check can be deceiving as often the breaker doesn't look to be tripped when in fact it is.
Not to sound stupid, but what breaker are you referring to?

Old 12-07-2022, 08:03 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Many folks don't check the profile for information but rely on the signature. Since you have added a signature with the interesting phrase you know that you can also add your year, make and model of the camper as well as tow vehicle and this will mitigate confusion about context when folks answer your questions.

I made the reference to an EMS thinking that you would take the time to look online regarding the difference between a surge protector and EMS. A surge protector is almost useless unless you have an incoming voltage surge. An EMS would have protected your convertor from potential damage in the situation of the mis-wired incoming voltage. That is why an EMS costs about three times what a surge protector costs.

Since my wife and I camp at various campgrounds, I have learned not to trust that the power they supply is going to be correct when I plug in. Thus, I have a Progressive EMS-PT30X. There is a similar 30A unit that installs inside the camper which some prefer; I prefer to hand mine on the power pedestal. Your camper would use the 50A version: EMS-PT50X. Right now campingworld.com has excellent prices on Progressive products.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:11 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Hi Marie. To get your RV information to show up on every post go to the User Cp tab in the upper left corner, select edit signature and fill in the appropriate information - be sure to save. It will show up at the bottom of every post you make and helps immensely when trying to give accurate answers.

For the reverse polarity fuses find the converter. It is probably behind your power (fuse) panel. Mine has 4 screws (one in each corner) holding it on and they can be sort of fun getting back in alignment when replacing. If your surge protector was showing "reverse polarity" the reverse polarity fuses are probably blown on it.

Surge protector - get rid of it and get an EMS. The surge protector does not do much for an RV. An EMS on the other hand does LOTS of things and protects you from all kinds of power anomalies that will kill your appliances and electronics - a surge protector won't.

When working on the power panel disconnect shore power AND your battery. You can pull one of the battery cables. For future times when you have to work on the power systems a permanent, total 12vdc disconnect can be installed at the battery which makes it very simple to cut 12 volt power vs pulling cables.

Good luck on getting this resolved. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty easy once you find that converter.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery