Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2020, 12:29 AM   #1
Racer

Not happy with Keystone

2018 Montana High County trailer, been in shop too many times from little stuff to auto level system that still is not working correctly. Biggest issue is that under warranty, twice I have had this trailer in the shop for spotty yellowish marking/stains entire interior ceiling length of my trailer. Shop manager second time stated Keystone will not fix it cost too much to replace or tear down the ceiling to fix problem (heck they didn't fix it the first time, he said they put a light coat of paint of it and figured it was fixed.

But they had NO problem cashing my check in 2 days even while I camped in the dealer’s parking lot getting stuff redone before even moving the trailer.

So do I need an attorney? This supposed to be our retirement lets go and see the county and have fun. I do my best to help people and do what is right but I feel I was completely screwed here. Wife is not happy thinking we will have bigger issues on the road from the ceiling, heck she is thinking of not traveling and just stay in the local surroundings.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:08 AM   #2
DocP

I hear what you're saying, and sympathize with you, but life's too short to let things like this interfere with you and your wife's retirement plans and happiness. I have had (literally) a total of 7 campers and motorhomes over the past 6 years, and each one had varying degrees of "fit and finish" issues - most of them I fixed myself (so that my camper wasn't sitting at a dealer for a long time), or just lived with them (and grumbled to myself a lot). I'm nearly 66, the clock is ticking, and I refuse to let things like this get in the way of me enjoying the fun of traveling in an RV and seeing the country.

Just my 2 cents - I hope that things work out for you.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:12 AM   #3
notanlines

Racer, I have absolutely no help for your yellow spots other than to have a REAL painter put 2 coats of Kilz brand stain killer on the entire surface (NOT the latex base, use the good stuff) after spot-priming the yellow spots themselves, and follow these two coats with one good coat of a top quality finish. Do NOT buy into the BS stories the paint store salesperson will tell you about how good the new acrylic stain-killers are.
But you have a considerably larger problem than yellow spots. If your wife is wanting to bail on the travelling because of yellow spots, you won't stand a chance in the real world of RV'ing.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:09 AM   #4
Northofu1

^^^^^^ x 2

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:57 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^^ X3...

READ (not just glance at) your Keystone warranty located in the Owner's Manual. First, you're no longer covered by the one year warranty and "yellow spots" is not a structural problem, but a "cosmetic problem" and is not covered by the warranty.

ANYTHING that Keystone or the dealership might do, at this point, is strictly a "good will gesture" and not a "warranty requirement". Trust me when I suggest that THOR (Keystone's parent corporation) has more lawyers on staff than you'll ever be able to afford and they are paid to protect the company from "nuisance lawsuits". Keystone's very first "maneuver" will be to completely stop talking to you and they will direct the dealership to also stop talking to you. They will "deliver your RV to you with a legal notice saying something along the lines of: "take it home, don't come back, we'll see you in court, direct all future correspondence to our lawyers at <THOR legal address>. It'll take several years to reach a settlement, probably cost you 5 or 10 times the value of the RV and in the end, "IF" you win the case, there's no guarantee that the court will award damages to you to pay for your legal expenses.

Yeah, I know that sounds harsh, but it's reality. Jim has given some excellent advice on how to paint over the rust stains along the ceiling of your RV. I'd suggest that you have one of two options:

1. Fix it and go enjoy your retirement plans
2. Sell it and decide what to do to enjoy your retirement.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #6
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
2018 Montana High County trailer, been in shop too many times from little stuff to auto level system that still is not working correctly. Biggest issue is that under warranty............. Wife is not happy thinking we will have bigger issues on the road from the ceiling, heck she is thinking of not traveling and just stay in the local surroundings.
Had similar issues with our 2014 Montana High Country so just traded it in for a new 2020 Montana, which has no issues, auto leveler works flawlessly and the molding trim stays intact while traveling.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #7
meaz93*

I usually address fit & finish issues myself when the trailer is over the 1 year period.
I too think this is just wasted energy for you and your wife. Why not just trade it off for another unit and be done with it.
Good luck to you.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200412-161126_Facebook.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	26436
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
CrazyCain

^^^^^^^^ X 4 on Jim, Dan and John

Had the exact problem on my ceiling, asked on here and found my answer. I happen to fix this the way Jim said to fix it and turned out great. Agree with Jim on the good stuff stain Kilz, stinks but doesn't take long to air the trailer out..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
Roscommon48

As for your ceiling, I'd keep pushing keystone to look at it.

as for your self leveling, talk to lippert and push them to resolve the issues. Your self leveling system should be easy to fix.

Lastly, get to the Goshen annual Montana Rally and talk directly to the techs. Or, just get rid of the rig and more on.

As for an attorney, what you have talked about isn't really that bad.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
GilaElkHunter

My 2019 High Country (still under warranty) has those yellow spots also, and when I had it in for repairs last I asked for that to be taken care of. Was told Keystone didn't approve them to fix it so they didn't touch it. When I got it home it tried cleaning the spots with bleach water, it helped a little but still there. Guess when I get tired of looking at them I will paint like Jim says.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaElkHunter View Post
My 2019 High Country (still under warranty) has those yellow spots also, and when I had it in for repairs last I asked for that to be taken care of. Was told Keystone didn't approve them to fix it so they didn't touch it. When I got it home it tried cleaning the spots with bleach water, it helped a little but still there. Guess when I get tired of looking at them I will paint like Jim says.
You may already know this, maybe not:

The "orange/yellow spots" on the ceiling are usually caused by rust stains from the staples used to attach the 1/8" luan vinyl covered ceiling panels in place. Keystone, like every other RV manufacturer who uses luan ceiling panels, uses a colored putty to cover the holes where the staples are visible. That putty is "industry standard" but is not waterproof. As you live in/use your RV during the winter, condensation forms on the ceiling, is absorbed by the putty and that "wets" the staples, causing them to rust. After a couple of months, that "rust stain" permeates the putty and becomes visible on the surface.

There is one comment in the Owner's Manual that states:
"Use fluorescent ceiling lights and minimize prolonged use of incandescent lights, which produce heat and contribute to condensation in the roof above the ceiling lights." I had not seen (or remembered that I had read) this until this evening. It does make sense that the heat from the ceiling lights will worsen the condensation in the attic space, which may be why most Keystone trailers in recent years have had roof vents. Few (if any) of the older trailers, 2015 and older, had this feature. I'd wonder if they may have been added because of the condensation/rusty staple issue ??? This is supposition, not something that I have any data or knowledge of why Keystone started using "roof/attic vents"...

During the first 90 days of ownership, the warranty will normally cover touching them up. After that first 90 days (read your Keystone Owner's Manual if you have any doubt) cosmetic issues (rust stains are cosmetic) are no longer covered by the Keystone warranty.

If staples are pulling out of the ceiling, if the panels are sagging, that is covered during the first year. Cosmetic issues are only covered for the first 90 days in most situations and many of them are "dealer paid/Keystone disapproved" ....

I'm not defending Keystone nor am I suggesting that I agree with their position, but it is what it is and it's been in the Owner's manual as an exclusion, at least since I bought my first Keystone RV in 2010.

The only way I know to eliminate the problem is to use KILZ to stop the rust from permeating and staining the paint that's used to touch up the spots.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone