Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2020, 11:17 AM   #741
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Bought it a home! Thursday a 30' long by 12' wide by 12' high RV port will be built. Then it is up for some modifications so that the slide can be put out. Can't do much about the awning but at least it will not get sun or rain on it. Will post pic when it is built.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:21 AM   #742
Papa of 7

I am currently studying about building my own, thinking about scissor trusses. 24WX36L. My TT is only 11'3", but what if I go to a 5th wheel in the future. Going for a 14 ft ceiling.
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #743
notanlines

Razor, just like Danny (TT) said, three year old RV and that's all you have to complain about? Pretty lucky I'd say!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:16 PM   #744
Mogal

Bought a new to me 2014 19FBPR last weekend.
So far, I have:

- Tipout Awning (Lippert V000168106 Solera Black 8' Slider)
- Backup camera (AMTIFO FHD 1080P)
- Awning lights (MINGER Dreamcolor 5M/16.4 Ft RGB LED Strip Lights)
- Coverted the stock 32" TV to 12v DC
- Added an Android TV Box (Livebox HK1 max RK3318 - also converted to 12v)
- 2x Quick Charge 3.0 USB Charger Socket (not installed yet)
- Paragon Telescopic Towing Mirrors for the F-150 2.7 EcoBoost
- Reese Towpower 7088300 Heavy Duty Coupler Lock
- SHINESTAR 12 FT RV Propane Quick Connect Hose
- Heavy Duty Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 2" hitch
- Short Queen mattress (Got $1000 off RV price b/c there was no mattress)
- Cleaned it top to bottom (twice!)
- Basic maintenance (Touch-up resealing, tighten screws ect...)
- and more!

Wow, and I've only had this thing for a week, and I haven't even slept in it yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	29534  
Mogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #745
Sarge2

Sounds like you are not fooling around..lol.. Tons done before the first trip.. Sound like you've been very busy...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #746
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Now it will not get sunburn,

This is the first camper to have its own home. First one got covered for 8 months to keep the snow off. Didn't care much for the second one and all it got was a lot of lap sealant. This one is probably going to be our last before we age out of this great hobby so we are tying to give it every advantage. This will probably double roof life as we have gone from New England to South Carolina with its 10 month summer. Winter may be short but don't need a snow blower, shovels, ice chippers or ice scrapers and salt.
A few mods will make it so the slideout can be out and door can be opened at the same time. Can't have an emergency shelter for power outages if the slideout can't go all the way out. Pulled it in with the running lights on and I sworeI saw a tear coming from one. Already had filtered water, 50 am service and a separate access port for the septic system. Last year it got a nice concrete pad with ramps on both ends instead of the planks it started life with us on and after the mods it will have at least a row of siding at the rop of the walls. She is nw iving large!
She has no name yet but we may be calling her "llar erant". Catalan for home on the roam . Or maybe something with too many consonants and not many vowels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8F7BACFD-24F9-4CE8-B8E0-0DA536B43C81.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	29608  
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:38 AM   #747
BrooksFam

EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #748
Jim2366

I waxed the truck, cleaned the windows and cleaned the interior. Its almost a year old now and has just 13,000 miles.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:21 AM   #749
Sarge2

Spent Saturday putting things back on the wall, cupboards and pantry...
I've given up on using any type of "tape" hangers.. command strips come off, regardless of how much you prep the surfaces... "Nano" tape is a joke.. if it gets warm it slides off the wall... so I've resorted to using the age old hooks and screws... I'll bet I've gone thru at least 10 command hooks trying to hold up a broom and dust pan in the pantry that weights less than two pounds.... won't fall off now... used a screw in hook...
I assume that it's just the nature of the best...
Old 09-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #750
hguilford

A/C drain pan clogged

Had the pleasure of disassembling my front A/C unit to clear a clogged drain pan. It had overflowed onto the bed the night before. I don't know why the manufacturers make the drain holes so small. Since I had it apart I drilled out the holes to prevent this from happening again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC drain pan.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	29739  
hguilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #751
LHaven

What's a good insulation replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'd run a wire from the nearest clearance light with a fish tape and inspect the other lights for signs of damage while you've got the ladder and tools out.
Haven't had a chance to revisit the front cap (rig's been in the shop the past three weeks), but today, while packing the rig for a short local getaway, I noticed one of the two bedroom LEDs was dead. It's located in the ceiling, just a couple feet back from the chewed-off clearance light.

Dropped both lights, then dropped the skylight cowl to get the lay of the land inside the attic. Sure enough, Minnie has run off with most of the insulation from that area (or relocated it somewhere).

I snaked a replacement conductor through the cavity to the other LED to get the light working again.

I'd really like to replenish the cavity with insulation, to keep the AC efficient. What's a good product for this? I assume the factory doesn't use anything faced. Something I could just stuff in by the handful would be best, as I really can't get anywhere near as good as view of that area as the camera can, and I have to work through a relatively small hole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7715.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	30021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7716.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	30022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7717.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	30023  
Old 09-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #752
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Haven't had a chance to revisit the front cap (rig's been in the shop the past three weeks), but today, while packing the rig for a short local getaway, I noticed one of the two bedroom LEDs was dead. It's located in the ceiling, just a couple feet back from the chewed-off clearance light.

Dropped both lights, then dropped the skylight cowl to get the lay of the land inside the attic. Sure enough, Minnie has run off with most of the insulation from that area (or relocated it somewhere).

I snaked a replacement conductor through the cavity to the other LED to get the light working again.

I'd really like to replenish the cavity with insulation, to keep the AC efficient. What's a good product for this? I assume the factory doesn't use anything faced. Something I could just stuff in by the handful would be best, as I really can't get anywhere near as good as view of that area as the camera can, and I have to work through a relatively small hole.
I wonder how that spray foam insulation would work? We are remodeling our business and the building is over 100 years old. Tons of mice due to age and the nature of our business. We are doing spray foam insulation in the ceiling and walls. Installer is putting in something that hopefully repels mice and he claims mice don’t like it anyways as it’s a very dense closed cell foam.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #753
JRTJH
Site Team

Using a "low volume expanding" foam would be "easy to install" but: (There's always a but) it will effectively seal the area, preventing further repairs in that area unless considerable time/effort are spent to dig out the foam to access any spots further from the opening....

If it were me, I'd buy a small pack of "spun fiberglass" and use a broom handle or a dowel to help "lay it in place where the insulation is missing".

To be honest, the factory does a "minimally effective initial installation" to begin with and all of what's missing may be partly the factory's fault rather than all the fault of "Minnie"...

In an RV, anything that's "permanent" can lead to significant issues down the road when something "beyond the permanent" needs attention.....

I'd replace what's missing with a similar product and keep an eye on that "block of poison" to be sure whatever might chew on it actually leaves before the "bitter end".... Nothing's quite as foul smelling as a "rotting rodent in a confined space, right above your bed"......

To add to Brantlyj's comments about foam. If you were installing that type of foam in the entire ceiling, it would be an ideal solution, but using it in an area where there's limited access and the potential need to work beyond that area, well it would make things difficult to access.... Otherwise, it's a great product, just not for this application, at least in my opinion.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #754
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Using a "low volume expanding" foam would be "easy to install" but: (There's always a but) it will effectively seal the area, preventing further repairs in that area unless considerable time/effort are spent to dig out the foam to access any spots further from the opening....
Yea, my first thought was that it would preclude me ever snaking a wire again... and we've talked about replacing our "fanless fan" skylight with an actual fan at some point.

Quote:
If it were me, I'd buy a small pack of "spun fiberglass" and use a broom handle or a dowel to help "lay it in place where the insulation is missing".
Last time I seriously worked with insulation, it was the original pink stuff that itched horribly after an hour. This stuff didn't do that to me, so I thought it might be something new like a spun polyester or something. But sure, I can find some white spun fiberglass.

Quote:
I'd replace what's missing with a similar product and keep an eye on that "block of poison" to be sure whatever might chew on it actually leaves before the "bitter end".... Nothing's quite as foul smelling as a "rotting rodent in a confined space, right above your bed"......
Ah, this is one of the joys of living in hot desert Arizona. Dead rodents smell for 48 hours at most; then they become mummies. After one day of bluebottle flies, the cycle is over. I have an attic full of them in the house.

This also explains the mystery of all the dead beetles inside the bedroom door but none at the main door. DW identified them as palo verde beetles (the nut fragment that dropped with the LED fixture helped). Minnie obviously created a cache of palo verde beans somewhere in the rig. Once they dried, the tiny palo verde beetles drilled their way out and found their way through the ceiling to the nearest light source, where they dead-ended.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #755
Sarge2

Installed new storage bay locks... now they don't have the universal 751 key anymore.... round cam locks.... got them from Industrial lock and Hardware.. good quality stuff but even with their match it up chart, I had to do some tweaking... but easy stuff... work great and more secure...
Old 09-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #756
Papa of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Installed new storage bay locks... now they don't have the universal 751 key anymore.... round cam locks.... got them from Industrial lock and Hardware.. good quality stuff but even with their match it up chart, I had to do some tweaking... but easy stuff... work great and more secure...
That is a good idea, I did the same thing after I had mine for about a month. The guy at the dealership gave us the heads-up.
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #757
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa of 7 View Post
That is a good idea, I did the same thing after I had mine for about a month. The guy at the dealership gave us the heads-up.
I changed every lock on the compartment doors, shower and cable hatch to match the entry door key. One key does it all.

Oh, we booked Thanksgiving week and Christmas week sites today... that's what we did on the RV today. . Can't wait for some colder weather.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #758
Northofu1

Spent some time finishing off a couple of things for winterizing. Finished the bearings and wet bolts on the right side, and added one piece of checker plate on wheel well of same side. Will finish in the next couple of weeks.
Added the checker plate over the rear tire blow out section.
Some caulking, and stored hitch inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200929_132246.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	30070   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200929_143427.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	30071   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200929_143439.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	30072   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200929_131224.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	30073  

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #759
tech740

Of all the dumb things I have had to fix, I replaced the toilet seat hinge screws. It a pretty wild ride when one of those breaks. LOL

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #760
GordKey22

done today?

Nothing "done" today, but,.....

I have a three camera system to install. One for each side and one for the rear.

I added a small storage box at the right rear corner. For storing some electrical adapters, and misc.

I have a cell phone antenna/amplifier system to get installed and operational.

I have added a small metal "jockey box" on the tongue, behind the dual 30 lb propane tanks. It is lockable and stores the batteries an a few misc. electrical repair supplies

Hopefully the cameras will be operational by the weekend.
GordKey22 is offline   Reply With Quote