Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
Jlevin11

Cold weather

Hello! We are new to this forum and the RV world. We are planning a trip for Thanksgiving from St Louis to LA. We are planning to stop in Flagstaff for several nights. We have a Keystone Passport 2210RB. It is equipped with an extended weather package. Will it be safe in Flagstaff Az in November? The temperature range averages from 53-23.
Jlevin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
LewisB

Depends on what "safe" means to you!

Potential to be cold, even well below freezing. So be prepared to deal with the need to keep your gas heating unit operating to protect under belly tanks, etc. You can supplement with electric space heating provided you have shore power or run a generator. Things outside your under belly protection (e.g. tank drain valves) can easily freeze. (We actually had our dump valves freeze in Flagstaff one year - had to wait a couple of days for a thaw so we could dump.)

Roads can be icy and/or snow covered. Recommend you carry chains for both the tow vehicle and trailer.

As your temperature forecast demonstrates, it could be beautiful and sunny or cold, stormy, and freezing - just no way to know.

For me, "safe" means being prepared. If you are prepared and cautious, then yes, it is safe.

HTH
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Chains for the trailer? That could pose a clearance issue and "beat the heck" out of the suspension for any use other that a slow "get out of trouble" short distance. If conditions are that bad stay put.

I'd suggest throwing an extra set of full lp tanks in the bed of the truck. If you get stuck in place for a few days in cold Temps that's one consumable that may be difficult to get.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #4
Jlevin11

Wow! Thanks for this information! I can see that we need to think through how to prepare. Honestly we have only driven the RV 3 day out and back from St. Louis to LA once our granddaughter was born. Again, Thanks
Jlevin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Chains for the trailer? That could pose a clearance issue and "beat the heck" out of the suspension for any use other that a slow "get out of trouble" short distance. If conditions are that bad stay put.
Absolutely agree with your thoughts! We got caught at 2 a.m. on the top of Fremont Pass, CO, 11,000+MSL in a blizzard - no place to stop. So, If you MUST travel in the winter and you happen to get caught, chains may be your only option. Cable chains would be best and only for a short stretch. We try now to never put ourselves in this position with the big 5er. But, thinking about being prepared, it is still valid for someone who MUST travel.

Thanks.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
travelin texans

To be honest I'd drive a little out of my way to avoid I-40 & Flagstaff that time of year, the odds of bad weather will be about 50-50.
Drop down & take I-20 to I-10 to I-8 & across, much less likely to run into bad weather.
During winter I-40 side winds can be brutal then add blowing snow & you may be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
What are you towing with?
Is it 4wheel drive?
If chains are required on the tv towing a rv I ain't goin'!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
KimNTerry

Fremont pass can be brutal. I keep a set of chains for the TV and the Trailer year round. I have never had to use either (except for annual inspection and test fit), but I have them "Just In Case". It's Colorado... Last week we went from 90 degrees Plus and dry (Labor day) to lower 30s and snowing in less than 24 hrs. Now it's warm again (above average for this time of year). Chains are only intended for gotta get through just this section at low speeds (not more than 25 MPH per mfg instructions).

If cold is a concern then as Danny suggests drop down to a more southern route well east of New Mexico as the altitude starts increasing there.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
Roscommon48

rv 'weather packages' are a joke.

just make sure you have an extra electric heater to keep you warm.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote