Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #21
kcamp99186

It may be my camper has less draw, but I've had a Battery Tender mounted in a small electrical enclosure on the front frame for 5 years. It has always kept my battery fully charged and ready. Just replaced the original battery this spring. I simply plug the tender in each time I park and since it is right in front I always remember to unplug/plug it, so far! Lol

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #22
Bandit12

Go to your local Napa auto parts store. Ask them for part #90-003. That is for a hanging 6/12 volt 3 amp battery maintainer. I believe they are on sale now thru the end of the month for about $45. You can check online to make sure.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #23
bobz89013

I figure my Battery Tender works great for my bikes and quads so I stick with that brand. If you fo get one make sure it has auto shut off so you don't boil the battery dry.
bobz89013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

A point to remember about connecting a battery maintainer, trickle charger or battery charger to any battery "physically connected to the trailer wiring: As long as there is any source providing greater than 12.6 volts to the trailer wiring, the WFCO charger circuits will be "disabled"....

The WFCO senses "line voltage on the DC battery connection to determine charge status of the battery"... If the WFCO senses the output voltage of a battery maintainer on the wiring, then it will disable all charging from the WFCO charge circuits.

While this may not "damage anything", if the battery maintainer is limited to "topping off a charge, not charging a depleted battery", if there is a condition where the battery loses a full charge, the battery maintainer can't build up a charge and the WFCO is "turned off by the maintainer's voltage on the wiring... So, if you "lose power overnight or for a day" you may find that your battery is completely dead when you check it in a month....

If you're going to leave the battery in the trailer and add a battery trickle charger/battery maintainer, then disconnect the battery from the trailer wiring (to prevent phantom drains and to deactivate the WFCO charger from the influence of the additional battery charger.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #25
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

This may be a bit of a Hi-Jack, but I think it's still on topic.
The batteries in my trailer have a warranty, but are sealed with a label that says "REMOVAL VOIDS WARRANTY."
So how the heck am I suppose to do the maintenance?
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #26
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
This may be a bit of a Hi-Jack, but I think it's still on topic.
The batteries in my trailer have a warranty, but are sealed with a label that says "REMOVAL VOIDS WARRANTY."
So how the heck am I suppose to do the maintenance?
This typically indicates you bought a "maintenance-free battery."

I don't believe I've ever had a maintenance-free deep-cycle(ish) battery. I didn't know anybody made one.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #27
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
This typically indicates you bought a "maintenance-free battery."

I don't believe I've ever had a maintenance-free deep-cycle(ish) battery. I didn't know anybody made one.
I Know!
These batteries are the RV/Marine clones for a deep cycle.
There should be a false advertising law about this.
A car battery shouldn't be called a deep cycle on its label.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:51 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

I don't understand the advantage of using a battery maintainer while the battery is still on the camper. You have to have 120v ac to it so why not use the converter?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:31 AM   #29
kcamp99186

I'm not sure it matters a lot, but I just didn't want 120v on my trailer all the time, or having my power cord dissappear. I can't park it in our development. Worry about rodent damage and possible fire issues. Although I've had no rodent issues after the first year when I learned to seal up the underside properly. Probably worry about nothing in my case.

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcamp99186 View Post
I'm not sure it matters a lot, but I just didn't want 120v on my trailer all the time, or having my power cord dissappear. I can't park it in our development. Worry about rodent damage and possible fire issues. Although I've had no rodent issues after the first year when I learned to seal up the underside properly. Probably worry about nothing in my case.
If you are plugging it into a 120v ac outlet where it's stored then I'd use the converter in the camper. You should have an EMS in any case. If you're concerned about the power cord "walking" then use an adapter (dogbone" at the camper inlet with a #14 grounded extension cord. They don't cost much and I'm guessing that's what you are already using to the separate battery charger now. The "possible fire issue" I think would be minimal especially with an EMS installed. JMHO
Old 09-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #31
Steve d

i use the converter and a household 24 hr timer and set it for 3 hours a day. It does over charge and use battery water.
Steve d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve d View Post
i use the converter and a household 24 hr timer and set it for 3 hours a day. It does over charge and use battery water.
It may not be "overcharging" as any flooded cell battery being charged will cause the electrolyte to evaporate at little. Over time, that evaporation will become sever enough to expose the plates and destroy the battery. That's not a result of overcharging but lack of maintenance.

If your converter is actually overcharging the battery than it's defective and needs to be replaced.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #33
Tonseth

Noco genius. They come in several different amps. Great charger.
Tonseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #34
08quadram

I leave my camper plugged in to standard outlet all summer. When I park it for the winter I pull the battery and leave it in the garage on a couple of wood blocks. No charger or maintainer all winter. Throw a charger on the day before i get the trailer out for the summer. Very seldom takes much of a charge.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote