Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by byerskm View Post
I know what you mean. I have a long bit like that. What length were your battery/inverter cables? I have examined it from the bottom, prodding with a long bit in the area where all the other cables go in. Problem is that "I" beam. The cables go under it, then in behind it, and then go thru a hole in it to get back in front so they can go up the sloped wall. I'm sure you know this. There's just no way to fish a thick cable through these twist and turns. I'm glad you told me that deck/floor is 2" thick. I never would have known until I ran into problems. I was planning to use a hole saw I have for my drill also. If I didn't know about the 2", I surely would have made a mistake or two in location and really buggered up my pass-thru floor.
I bought an $80 hydraulic cable crimper from Amazon and made my own 2ga cables. There was just no way I could figure out how to utilize pre-made cables. So lengthwise I don't know. I bought something like 20ft of cable, held it up from battery to inside destination, added an extra foot or two and cut the cable. Then fine tuned the length as I installed it...

Edit: dinner interrupted my train of thought...

I needed to remake some 6ga cable ends because of bad crimps at the factory. I needed to make all my own 8ga wires because they didn't leave a loop inside the pass through. I had to reroute the battery to frame connection and replaced their 6ga with 2ga, and part of that was putting the shunt for the battery monitor inside the pass through. It needed 2ga, so it was easier to go 2ga to the frame. I bought cables, ends, shrink wrap, and the crimper from Amazon. It was nice to have the right length cable for each task. It's the first time I did that. Now I'm spoiled, it's the only way I'd do that.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, solar