Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #1
Benchmark

Winter battery maintenance

Good Morning-
So I have a 2017 Passport 199ML. I have it stored indoors in an unheated space, but I do have a 110 outlet available (I assume at least 15 or 20 amp). I plan to just plug the shore power cord into the outlet to keep the battery charged (I have the adapter).
I've read others recommendations to not leave this plugged in long term for fear of overcharging the battery. I figure I could use a timer for a certain amount of time each day so I don't damage the battery. Would anyone know how many hours each day would be good?
My other option would be a battery tender. Would this be a better option?

thanks.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
Good Morning-
So I have a 2017 Passport 199ML. I have it stored indoors in an unheated space, but I do have a 110 outlet available (I assume at least 15 or 20 amp). I plan to just plug the shore power cord into the outlet to keep the battery charged (I have the adapter).
I've read others recommendations to not leave this plugged in long term for fear of overcharging the battery. I figure I could use a timer for a certain amount of time each day so I don't damage the battery. Would anyone know how many hours each day would be good?
My other option would be a battery tender. Would this be a better option?

thanks.
Overcharging should not be an issue if the converter is working properly. Any type charger that's used "long term" should include you monitoring & maintaining the water level in the battery. That means checking the water level in the battery monthly and adding distilled water only to the proper level. There is no plug in and forget system.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Just plug it in and keep an eye on the water level in the batteries. I do all the time. The converter should monitor battery voltage and have a stage to maintain the charge just like a battery tender. Just watch the water.....or install a watering system as I did - one of the best mods I've done.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
Javi

The only time my last trailer wasn't plugged in to 110v was when towing or at the repair shop... I kept it 6 years... this trailer hasn't been unplugged from 110v except when towing and I have no plans otherwise... I will say that the trailer before last was unplugged for 2 months once... but then I got electric to the stall..

Just check the water in the battery once a month and you'll be fine..
Old 09-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

To address the second part of your question: Using a battery maintainer/trickle charger/tender.....

Even if using that type of battery charging device, just as with the WFCO converter/charger, you still need to do frequent electrolyte level checks. All battery chargers can "evaporate the electrolyte" in your battery and cause damage... As Marshall stated, "There is no plug in and forget system."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, maintenance, winter