Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2020, 07:13 AM   #1
BrooksFam

Space heaters - What do you like/use

As we will be living in our TT during the winter (while building house) I want to get a 110vac space heater. Oregon winters are not severely cold where we are but can get to freezing a time or two. I have had several in the past in our motorhomes, but interested in what others are using now.

Recommendations or models to stay way from would be appreciated.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
dwall

I use a ceramic style heater and it does great. But I camp in Georgia and we don’t have very cold winters like y’all do.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

We use an oil filled radiator as it wont burn you if you happen to brush up against it. We also travel with a long haired Siamese cat and his tail can hit it without singing any fur. I believe they use less power and given the fact that the 110 wire gauge in a TT is barely adequate at best, I dont like taking the chance of heating up the romex, JMHO YMMV

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
As we will be living in our TT during the winter (while building house) I want to get a 110vac space heater. Oregon winters are not severely cold where we are but can get to freezing a time or two. I have had several in the past in our motorhomes, but interested in what others are using now.

Recommendations or models to stay way from would be appreciated.

Your statement that your winters are severely cold and it gets to 32F a time or two makes me wonder if you didn't mistype something. I have four shops that are air conditioned, one with a min-split and three window units and use oil filled radiator heaters. They shut off if tipped and there are no hot heating elements to decrease the fire hazard. They are a bit bulky but do the job. When we camp we only need heat once in a great while in S TX. but we do keep a ceramic heater in the trailer. We generally don't run it over night so turn on the camper's furnace for a few minutes to take the chill off while turning on the ceramic heater.

We also travel with a couple pups and they sleep under the covers on cool/cold nights so no issues with the bedding getting chilly!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

George he didn't mistype, "Oregon winters are not severely cold" is what he wrote.

We use a small cube ceramic heater. Set's on the countertop so can't get hit by the dog. All modern heaters have a "tip over" switch to kill the power in the event of it being knocked over. The true danger is having the heater too close to flammable objects like blankets, curtains, or clothing.

If I had small children I would go the oil filled radiator route.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
travelin texans

I'd recommend oil filled radiators also. To me it's a more comfortable type heat rather than just blowing very hot air.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like your winters are similar to where we stay in the FL panhandle; generally pretty nice but will drop below freezing a couple of times in the winter. I used to carry a regular coil (resistance) type heater years ago but worried about overloading the minimal wiring in an RV so replaced it with a small ceramic. I don't like to use it either.

If you are going to be living in it what's wrong with using the furnace? I've pretty much migrated to setting the furnace at whatever temp keep us cool but comfortable. In the AM it's usually a little bit chilly when you climb out of the covers and we just turn on the fireplace until it gets comfortable. I would far rather replace the LP in the tanks than worry about using a space heater of any kind.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
KRumm

Just as a side note if you plan on using a electric space heater For long periods of time make sure your rigs electric system is not over loaded and the wiring is adequate!...

You might look into using a dedicated extension cord to the power box or adding a separate plug for space heater...

https://youtu.be/w1ZO5RxKoq8
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #9
Poppy

I have a friend that has an electric fireplace that he built into his cabinet. It works very well to keep the chill off.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
BrooksFam

Thanks for the feedbacks guys. I did have and oil filled heater in the MH for winter cold when it was in storage but as said they take up a bit of room. I will likely get a ceramic heater for keeping the TT warm and use the LP to take morning chill off or when the electric heater cant keep up. This is how I did it in the MH.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater