Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
Bob R

Hierarchy of Power Supply into RV

Something that has been bugging me lately because I occasionally drop my power when hooked up to 15A at home.

Is there a power supply hierarchy on Keystone RVs? What I mean is if you are on shore power and then start the genset will one or the other power according to it being plugged in?

Or even simpler, with the different power sources; battery, shore, solar, genset will one of them attempt to take the load from the others even though the available power may be greater, especially in the case of 15A shore power (home plug) and then starting the genset. Will it remain on shore power or switch to the genset?

Coming from an Aircraft Flight Engineer background I know we have a order in aircraft and even an order of which electrical busses get energized and I was just wondering if the RV market has evolved that far?

thanks

bob
Old 02-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your unit has a generator then you should have an automatic transfer switch. Most transfer switches “default” to the gen if plugged into shore power and you start the gen. Solar isn’t going to be in that equation.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Frank G

The 115 VAC transfer switch switches to the generator power when available isolating the utility based power supply. This is a mandatory transfer switch to prevent feedback to the utility lines.

The 12VDC is picked up from the battery, the converter and solar feed the system and charge the battery as available power permits.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

"Something that has been bugging me lately because I occasionally drop my power when hooked up to 15A at home."

First question is how is this happening? 15 a breaker tripping? Power outage from utility company?

What has been said so far in the responses is correct IF everything was installed correctly.

There is no comparison with any aircraft built in the last century that is comparative to a travel trailer. The two electrical systems (12vdc and 120 vac) are primitive in design and implementation.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Bob R

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
"Something that has been bugging me lately because I occasionally drop my power when hooked up to 15A at home."

First question is how is this happening? 15 a breaker tripping? Power outage from utility company?

I have been tripping a breaker on the power panel or tripping a GFCI plug.
What has been said so far in the responses is correct IF everything was installed correctly.

There is no comparison with any aircraft built in the last century that is comparative to a travel trailer. The two electrical systems (12vdc and 120 vac) are primitive in design and implementation.

I figured as much but at least we aren't doing mag checks at the end of the driveway before pulling into traffic.

The gen answer makes sense, lots of it now that I think of it, I live in an area where winter power outages happen and we always tell people to isolate their generator from the main power circuits to prevent feedback when the guys are trying to restore power.

Thanks all.

bob
Old 02-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
The gen answer makes sense, lots of it now that I think of it, I live in an area where winter power outages happen and we always tell people to isolate their generator from the main power circuits to prevent feedback when the guys are trying to restore power.

Thanks all.

bob
That's also the law/code requirement.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
Bob R

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
That's also the law/code requirement.
Yea, most people know that but there is always that small subset that figures all they have to do is fire up a generator and plug it into the a nearby wall socket. You have to tell them every year that isn't how it works.

bob
Old 02-23-2020, 07:23 PM   #8
bobbecky

I had a coworker friend killed years ago when working on the high voltage line to make repairs, into a ski resort. The old resort had a generator, that did not have an isolation switch, power up while he was working on the wires at the top of the pole. He never knew what hit him, died instantly.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power