Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
turbodog

5th. wheel Hitch Issue

I have a Reese 16k 5th. Wheel slider hitch on a 2011 Ford F250 pulling a 2011 Avalanche 290RL Lately I the slider has been jumping out of the retention holes and banging back and forth when towing. Needless to say this has become a not just an issue, but a major issue. After this has happened a couple of times I am starting to have another problem-the lever holdiing the latching arm in place will not go in all the way. This is making the locking lever more and more difficult to engage. I have had to bang it over some just to get it to latch. Reese told me the problem is being caused because I am putting the holding pins pointing to the inside of the rails which then does not allow the slider to lock down correctly. This is not the case because I never point the pins inward on the rails, always to the outside. I am afraid to tow wwith this hitch and will probably replace it, but this is rather expensive.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts other than a new hitch. Also, always check to ensure the slider lever is in the locked position before I begin to tow.
turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

turbodog -
I have the identical hitch and it does state in the owner's manual that the pins should be put "through the holes in base rails from the inside out .... so the cotter pins are on the outside of the base rails". In 2 of the 3 diagrams in the manual, they are inserted in this way but on the front page diagram, they are put in with the cotter pins on the inside of the rails. Go figure.
Not sure why they have to be inserted this way unless there is a chance that the cotter pins might get in the way of the hitch moving from one position to another.
Do you have the hitch properly seated in the retention holes? There is a stopper/keeper that falls into the retention hole when it is aligned properly. Perhaps the hitch is riding on top of the rail rather than being locked in place by the keeper and the retention hole. (??)
As you described the problem, it certainly is a cause for concern. There shouldn't be any need for you to bang it over to engage it and the parts should go in and out without binding.

Is this a recent problem or one that suddently developed?

You don't need to be going down the road and have your hitch sliding back and forth between the towing and the maneuvering positions. It should be firmly locked in one position or the other.
Before hitching up, try manually moving the hitch back and forth. If it jumps out of position or you can move it, it is not being locked into position.

Sorry - but not being much help other than reinforcing what you have already been doing.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Cool Canuck

What Fetus said. I got smart one year and figured I'd put the hair pins on the inside to help prevent someone pulling them. Ran into the same problem you have. The hair pins interfere with the slide going all the way forward and locking properly. Yes, it is disconcerning when the hitch slides back unexpectantly.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
turbodog

5th. Wheel Hitch Issue

I always make sure the pins on the rails are pointing out. Believe me, when this happens it feels like a semi has run into the back of the camper. I guess the only option I have for peace of mind is a new hitch. I have never had to use the slider to get into a space. I am thinking of just using a non-slider. The Acalanche has a contured front cap teems to make a big difference.
Thank you for your input.
turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
PerryB

I wonder if the latch springs are broken. I had a Draw-tite slider in my last truck, and I THINK its the same hitch as you have. Reese, Draw-tite and Hidden Hitch are all built under the same roof. The latch spring is basically a single leaf (very much like the mainspring in a single action Colt revolver) and not infallible. Assuming the springs are good, the latch dogs engage their holes at slightly more than 90 degrees and actually "bite in" under load. If the springs are stuck or broken, it will be very easy to move the handle from "locked" to "unlocked". Normally this takes a pretty good pull. If this turns out to be the problem, you could always bungee cord the handle until you get it properly repaired. Also check to see if there isn't something like a burr (or a rock) in the locking holes that's preventing the dogs from dropping in. This is a pretty good hitch and not very prone to failure. I suspect the problem will yield to a simple solution when investigated.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote