Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Mac123

Question Pushing the limits?

Just bought a cougar X-lite 21rbs tt. Towing with tacoma with tow package. 6500 lbs capability. No long trips short weekend trips for now. Am I pushing the limits?
Mac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
x96mnn

That camper is about 5300pds dry. Does not leave you with a lot really for gear but I guess it depends on your experience.

Personally I do not think I would enjoy the combination and would find the trailer sway giving me a white knuckle ride. I think math would tell you its not a good combination but I am no expert and can only go off my experience and would say at 60 miles you will feel a lot of sway will find yourself 45 to 50 to be comfortable.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Philip Saran

This is just my opinion, you need more truck, it is NOT just the
ability to pull the trailer, it is also the abiltiy to STOP the trailer.

You don't mention the weight of your truck or it's tow rating only
that the trailer weights in at 5300 lbs.

Personally I like a large amount of safety in truck to trailer weight
margins. My 1 ton weights in at 8000 lbs with fuel, 2 people one
80 lb dog and stuff. My towing rate before I deduct the truck is
20,000 lbs, leaving me 12,000 for a trailer. My trailer loaded is
about 7700 lbs.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
OhhWell

Man, I remember when you used to be able to look at the model number and pretty much figure how long the trailer was. I was thinking that must be a 21' trailer or so. As it sits, that may be a little more than you should be towing with a small pickup truck like the Tacoma.

Since you asked specifically: Yes, you are definately pushing the limits. As far as if you can tow it at all: Maybe. Having the tow package will certainly help. It may not be the most relaxing drive you've ever had though.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Javi

I bought a 2012 Passport 2890RL which is 32' 9” OAL dry weight 5430 lbs, loaded 6300 lbs… I had a 2011 F-150 145” WB pickup with the 5.0l engine and 3:55 gears and towing package.. The trailer was well withing the limits for the TV but ….

My story... The pickup had the power to pull the TT but the ride was less than stellar as the truck road walked horribly and the wife threatened to stop riding with me if I couldn't fix it... I tried everything, adjusting the hitch, the sway control, the tongue weight, the tire air pressure, etc... all to no avail...

Finally broke down and bought an F-250 Super Duty Crew with the 8' bed and the 6.7 L diesel... more power than I needed but I have to tell you the road walking is gone... the extra weight of the TV and the stiffness of the suspension took care of the issue with room to spare..
Old 08-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
lightning79

I've read in some truck magazines that they like to be no heavier than about 75% of the truck's towing capacity, as said above, for a margin of safety. I'd probably consider something a little heavier. You don't want to be on the highway and have a transport truck whip by you and start throwing you around.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #7
Mac123

Smile Tacoma and 21RBS

In responce to all, Thank you for your info. I'm kind of stuck with this truck for a while. I should have stated that I have the factory installed tow package, Equalizer weight distribution and anti sway, Activator III brake control, and 10 ply truck tires. I still want to go to a Tundra with 10,000lb capasity. But for now ,keeping to short trips (100 mi or less) and taking it easy and planning my routes carefully, avoiding lots of steep long hills and winding mt. roads, I'm hoping I'll be ok. My service cheif at my Toyota dealer assures me I'll be fine. He says, "You'd be better of with the Tundra and I'd be glad to sell you one but you should be fine until you're ready to trade up."We had absolutely no problem with towing the beast home. I was able to do the speed limits in all areas never exceeding 25,000 rpms and on a couple of longer steeper grades up to 35,000. I noticed absolutely no sway or bounce or any trouble stopping or slowing or accelerating. It was very obvious to me though that I had added a lot more weight. I'll feel better with the Tundra but I think I will be ok for the few rather local trips we have planned for the rest of this season. Thanks for all your advice and comments.
Kevin
Mac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
mhs4771

WOW those are some RPMs, think you added an extra zero there. BUT remember most accidents happen within a few miles of home! Even on short trips the unexpected can happen and if you're at of over your TV capacity, what then? You put your family and everyone else on the road at risk.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

So you swapped out the piston engine for a gas turbine engine at 35,000 rpm it's just loafin along
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Jimbeau

You will probably just get by in the flatlands, but you will notice your truck really bogging down going up hills. My advise will be just not to push it to race upo hills. Go off to the right and if you have to go 35 MPH, then so be it. Keep an eye on the temp gage too. You dont want to kill your truck and be stranded. I would also reccomend AAA Premier towing. Premier is their best (we pay about $135 a yearfor 2 vehicles and a 5th wheel ) package. They will tow you up to 200 miles (1 time per year) and 100 miles 3 more times. The selling point was that they will tow you where YOU want it towed to, not just the nearest repair facility. The "nearest repair facility" could be, God forbid, an expensive RV dealer (like Giant RV) or a Camping World. They are both ridiculously expensive. Or, if your 200 miles or less, they will tow you home if you want. They will also pay for a hotel and meals for up to a week too. It really is a "must have"!! Good Luck!!
Jimbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
sellis1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I bought a 2012 Passport 2890RL which is 32' 9” OAL dry weight 5430 lbs, loaded 6300 lbs… I had a 2011 F-150 145” WB pickup with the 5.0l engine and 3:55 gears and towing package.. The trailer was well withing the limits for the TV but ….

My story... The pickup had the power to pull the TT but the ride was less than stellar as the truck road walked horribly and the wife threatened to stop riding with me if I couldn't fix it... I tried everything, adjusting the hitch, the sway control, the tongue weight, the tire air pressure, etc... all to no avail...

Finally broke down and bought an F-250 Super Duty Crew with the 8' bed and the 6.7 L diesel... more power than I needed but I have to tell you the road walking is gone... the extra weight of the TV and the stiffness of the suspension took care of the issue with room to spare..
What is "road walking?"
sellis1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post
What is "road walking?"
If your TV is road walking, you'll know it... It is a feeling that the TV has a mind of it's own and you must be on your toes every second... It is a feeling of the rear of the TV fishtailing back and forth or that the TT is on the brink of swaying yet when you look back the trailer is steady as a rock... It's a feeling of the truck shimmying under you and you can't stop it.. You can slow to 40 mph or run 70 mph and it really doesn't change... It's a two handed, white knuckled experience if you tow very far like that...

It just doesn't make for a pleasant ride...
Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Mij

When I joined the forum it didnt say anything about needing a 3/4 ton diesel to take part in the info and give opinions but it seems like if u don't the ideal TV you are critisized. We all hook on and know our TV and what they r doing and what they can do and where we go. Saftey on the highway for our family and others on the road is what it is all about. I would luv a 3500HD and pull my TT across the Rockys, can't swing it and not nesesary for me. I LUV the Yukon and it fits my family perfect and the for the 400miles it tows my TT during the season I get ****ty gas mileage and take my time and enjoy the trip. If your Tacoma pulls your TT and u r comfortable with how it drives for the distances you travel then maintain it and enjoy the camper with your family. THAT IS WHY WE DO IT! Sorry I got a bit wordy It had to be said!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

Mij -
While it is probably true that a few members firmly believe that all RV towing should only be done with a 3/4T diesel, In my opinion, this belief is not shared by the majority of our members. I think, however, we all share a common desire "that safety on the highway for our family and for others is what it's all about" regardless of the specs of your TV. In that sense, your are quite correct.

There are numerous members who safely tow with a "1/2 ton" rated TV whether it be an F150 Ecoboost, a Toyota Tundra or some other similar 1/2T. Many of these non 3/4 T diesel members take an active part in forum discussions by giving their comments and opinions not only on towing but also a variety of topics. It is my sense that they don't feel put down or unfairly criticized by the rest of the members because they happen to tow with a 1/2T.

There have been instances where new members who already own a half ton and are considering buying a particular RV will ask for advice about whether or not the combination will make a good match. Depending upon the specifics, they may be told that their truck is not up to pulling it safely and they should opt for a bigger, 3/4 T. They have asked for input and have been given it.

In other cases, members have already purchased the RV and want to know if their TV will handle the job. They may get a variety of answers - some will say "yes" while others say "no", you will need a 3/4T diesel. Is this being critical or simply offering advice?

There is no suggestion that you need to have a 3/4T diesel to take part in the forum discussions. I believe that all of us are trying to ensure that everyone is, as you stated, putting safety first. Sometimes, it doesn't quite come across that way but our intentions are good.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #15
Mij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Mij -
While it is probably true that a few members firmly believe that all RV towing should only be done with a 3/4T diesel, In my opinion, this belief is not shared by the majority of our members. I think, however, we all share a common desire "that safety on the highway for our family and for others is what it's all about" regardless of the specs of your TV. In that sense, your are quite correct.

There are numerous members who safely tow with a "1/2 ton" rated TV whether it be an F150 Ecoboost, a Toyota Tundra or some other similar 1/2T. Many of these non 3/4 T diesel members take an active part in forum discussions by giving their comments and opinions not only on towing but also a variety of topics. It is my sense that they don't feel put down or unfairly criticized by the rest of the members because they happen to tow with a 1/2T.

There have been instances where new members who already own a half ton and are considering buying a particular RV will ask for advice about whether or not the combination will make a good match. Depending upon the specifics, they may be told that their truck is not up to pulling it safely and they should opt for a bigger, 3/4 T. They have asked for input and have been given it.

In other cases, members have already purchased the RV and want to know if their TV will handle the job. They may get a variety of answers - some will say "yes" while others say "no", you will need a 3/4T diesel. Is this being critical or simply offering advice?

There is no suggestion that you need to have a 3/4T diesel to take part in the forum discussions. I believe that all of us are trying to ensure that everyone is, as you stated, putting safety first. Sometimes, it doesn't quite come across that way but our intentions are good.
Agreed, didn't mean to come off harsh but I felt it had to be said. However what you are saying makes sense and is very true. Thanks for your response!!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:22 AM   #16
mhs4771

I've towed with a 1/2 ton, several pop-ups and a 24' TT, but never tried to tow a 15K 5er with it. There have been posts of folks with a 1/2 ton looking at TTs or 5ers that are all way over the limits of their TV. They ask for opinions and don't get the answers they want so they just go head as they intended regard less. Yes I now tow with a 1 ton dually, but I'm pulling a 40' 15K plus 5er. Check all the numbers if they fit with a reasonable margin of safety, go with it.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
Javi

This is a photo of an acquaintance's 33 foot TT which got caught in a cross wind in the Texas panhandle yesterday, witness said it picked camper up and slammed it down. Lost control and rolled his Tahoe 4-6 times and then ended up on side in bar ditch. This was on a very remote stretch and luckily there were workers restringing a fence right across road and they pulled him out. Both were total losses. He is very lucky and thankful to be alive...

I can't help but wonder if he had been pulling with a ¾ ton long bed, would this have happened as easily... ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1756  
Old 09-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
mhs4771

A 33 foot TT is a pretty big rig to be towing behind a Tahoe with it's shorter wheel base. Per the numbers we should have been able to tow our old 24 foot Prowler with our V6 Blazer, but I don't see how since our 5.7L V8 Heavy Duty 1/2 ton worked pretty hard getting up steeper grades. So just because the numbers say you can, doesn't mean you should.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
This is a photo of an acquaintance's 33 foot TT which got caught in a cross wind in the Texas panhandle yesterday, witness said it picked camper up and slammed it down. Lost control and rolled his Tahoe 4-6 times and then ended up on side in bar ditch. This was on a very remote stretch and luckily there were workers restringing a fence right across road and they pulled him out. Both were total losses. He is very lucky and thankful to be alive...

I can't help but wonder if he had been pulling with a ¾ ton long bed, would this have happened as easily... ?
Well depends on he wind!!
This looks to be a 1 ton DRW, and this is not pretty!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #20
Javi

Yep but in your video he had ample warning and failed to heed it... that crash was on him not the tv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2