Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
turner46

2 more rookie questions (box liner, tonneau cover)

OK all, probably sounds like another dumb question but like said before first time rv owner and soon to be first time truck owner. First question, for spray in box liner over rail or under what is the difference and what is the benefits of either, ive been quoted with the over being $50 more. Also for the tonneau cover what are the pros and cons of these options? roll and lock and hard folding or a soft or body coloured molded.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
f6bits

No, that’s *two* dumb questions, and I’m just the person to give you two dumb answers.

1) I’ve had two Line-X spray-in liners, both under rail. Over rail is if you like lugging stuff over the side of your bed. I don’t think it looks good. On my Ranger, I did opt for over the lip of the tailgate so I could let long 2x4s rest on the top of the tailgate. My F150 already comes with the plastic caps around the bed so over rail isn’t necessary.

2) Tonneau covers come down to cost. Soft covers are less expensive. I prefer the tri-fold soft cover as it’s all I need. Hard covers weigh more, are more secure, and cost more. They can also be painted to match.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Scottinvt

I have had spray in liners for years and I love them over the rail . Also the tonneau covers are a must. For my fifth wheel we used a roll up cover.
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
TAZ23

Most spray in liners come in several available colors and it may be possible to get one to blend in with your trucks paint so it wont stick out like a sore thumb if you go "over the rail". I prefer over the rail but to each his own. Go with what you are most comfortable with.
For tonneau covers I like the soft trifold from Lund, but there are other manufacturers also. It goes on,off, or open for travel in about 60 seconds and can easily be installed by one person.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
mguay

As TAZ23 said...Over the rail and tinted to match the color of the truck. My trifold cover is a Trifecta. My second one on 2 trucks. Easy to fold and remove if needed...even in below freezing temps.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Many, but not all new trucks come equipped with bed rails/tailgate rail covers that pretty much negate the "over the rail" spray on bed liner. Ford bedrail covers are an integral part of the bed and can't be easily removed. I wouldn't think you'd want to spray them.

What truck are you going to spray? You may find that there's no need depending on the model.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Halibutman214

Absolutely over the rail. It looks sharp and the first time you drag something over it you will be glad you did.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

HI here is my 10 cents worth (inflation) i have line x spray in and it is over the rail no scratches on the bed but i did someting elase. i sprayed the threshold /rocker pannels. with my work boots they got scrached up fast been 7 years not a mark on them. as far as the cover... i never had one on this truck but theother truck whicn i plowed snow with i used the fabric roll up it fit over the pile of sand and salt. (don't miss that anymore)
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
chris199

My 2 cents:
Go over the rail with Line-X. Have had 2 LineX liners.love them! My trucks have had a plastic rail protector but if they didn't I would go over the rail. They an make a very clean edge.

Have Advantage folding cover. Be aware some ome with clamps that have to attah to your bed rails. The one I bought has handles that diretly attach to my oem bed rails....no additional clamps needed. I lock my tailgate and I'm good. Of course...can just cut thru the fabric. Upgraded fabric to onvertible top quality...does a good job! Easy on. Easy off. Can fold out of the way if needed.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
turner46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many, but not all new trucks come equipped with bed rails/tailgate rail covers that pretty much negate the "over the rail" spray on bed liner. Ford bedrail covers are an integral part of the bed and can't be easily removed. I wouldn't think you'd want to spray them.

What truck are you going to spray? You may find that there's no need depending on the model.
Most likely a steel grey 2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Dually

http://www.cmpauto.com/2012-GMC-Sier...ada/vd/9132664
Old 06-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner46 View Post
Most likely a steel grey 2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Dually

http://www.cmpauto.com/2012-GMC-Sier...ada/vd/9132664
Double check with your dealer there, but in the US, that truck comes standard with plastic bed rail protectors already installed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote