Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
desertjack

how to correctly torque ball shank nut ??

I am in process of installing a Reese WDH system. THe ball has a 1 1/4 " shank which indicates 450 ft lbs torque. I bought a 1 13/16 socket that fits the nut but have no way of knowing how (or even if I can) torque the nut that tight. I have an older torque wrench that only goes to 100 ft lbs but have a good sized breaker bar. Today I tried to torque the nut. I got the 100 ft lbs ok. Then I put on the breaker bar and tired to tighten it more and maybe got 1/4 more turn from it before I just could not get any more twist. Maybe if I find a long piece of pipe that fits over the breaker bar handle I can leverage more twist ? How vital is 450 ft lbs ? Do the professionals have a way of determining if they actually get that much torque when they install that size nut ? Commens, ideas or suggestions anyone ??
Thanks much
DesertJack
desertjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
jbsmith

Use a 4' long pipe, insert the shank into the receiver side ways. With the wrech on the nut, pull, tug, hang from the cheater bar...call it done. If you weigh more than 100 lbs, you'll almost certainly come close to the torque spec.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

X2 on the & 4' cheater bar. There was no slop on the ball and has been 2 years with no problems but keeping an eye on it.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
hankaye

desertjack, Howdy;

Feel like doin' a wee bit of math ???

http://www.norbar.com/calculators/to...alculator.aspx

Sometimes ya only need a 2 foot extension...or some other length...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
jbsmith

I certainly understand the physics behind extending the length of the moment arm, but won't a torque wrench set at 100 lb-ft click at that setting regardless of the length of the bar? The formula on the page referenced doesn't clearly show "how" you need to extend the length of the torque wrench. Most folks will assume you just throw a section of pipe over the end of the torque wrench...which would be wrong.

Check this site out for some info on what you can do to torque well above the calibrated limits of most torque wrenches.

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueExtension/TorqueExtension.htm

I've also put a wrench on a bolt, sleeved it with a pipe and then insert the head of my torque wrench into the end of a second wrench in the other end of the pipe. With the same math I can figure out how much torque I'm applying. For example, a four foot pipe with my wrench set for 100 lbs will click with 400 lb-ft applied to the fastener. Just be careful cause I've also had the wrench pop out of the pipe!!!

I still think a BFW and some pipe is all you need. Just remember to flip everything 90 deg when tightening to let gravity give you a hand instead of trying to work side to side.

B&W Companion
Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
hankaye

jbsmith, Howdy;

AGREED!!!

Any amount of angle from stright will effect the outcome.

We always had to show the math to the QA inspecters when we were workin' on helos and aircraft.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
desertjack

thanks all ---great info

A great big THANKS to all for your info. I figured there was a way to do this without using a torque wrench showing all of 450 lbs (if such were even in existence.) I did wonder about a length of pipe over the end of the breaker bar to extend its length to apply more torque, but had no idea it had to be 4 ft long. One other thiing I did note when installing the bolts for the hitch platform is that they call for 300 lbs on those bolts but say if you can get to 150 lbs on the torque wrench then only go another 1/4 turn and I guess you get to the 300 lbs. So I figured if 1/4 turn equals 150 lbs then once I get the 100 lbs on my torque wrench and then go about another 1/2 - 2/3 turn with the breaker bar that might suffice. But I will look at the sites you all suggested.....
Thanks again
DesertJack
Old 05-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
chuck&gail

It is VERY simple and easy. All big truck repair places have 1" drive torque wrenches. Put drawbar in receiver, drive to truck repair place. Let them torque it properly. I had to argue to get man doing mine to accept money for it. 5 minute job tops.

I've never understood those who strongly suggest torque wrench use on wheel lugs, and then use pipe when THEIR wrench isn't big enough.

IMO get it torqued properly.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Yak

The above suggestions will work, but this is the correct tool

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Professi...8178943&sr=8-2
Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
golfpro

I have seen service techs just use a one inch air gun to tighten the ball and so far have not heard of any failures
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
desertjack

thanks again

Great suggestions & comments all !!
I have seen 3/4 " drive ratchets and breaker bars but in my limited mechancial experience I had no idea 1" ones were available (not that I'd ever have much use for something that big but) so I guess the big truck guys would be a good bet to get this nut tighted properly if I cannot come up with a 4 ft long pipe. I do wonder even as the professional installers such as at the trailer dealer who quoted doing the job---do they actaually see 450 ft lbs or just twist it as tight as they can with the tools they have and figure the customer will never have an issue with it loosening ??
Thanks again
Desert Jack
Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
jbsmith

You can buy a piece of galvanized fence post from Lowes/Home Depot that will fit over your wrench. I'll bet money that by tossing my beer muscle over a length of pipe I can easily exceed 450 lb-ft. I'll bet most places do exactly that.

B&W Companion
Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
desertjack

thanks

Thanks much JB. Had not thought about a fence post so will look for one tomorrow on my weekly trip to Lowes. Do appreciate your good imputs.
Have a great day
DesertJack