Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
texasAUtiger

Newbie needs your input please...

My wife and I are looking to take the plunge and get our first TT. I have done a good bit of internet homework on towing parameters, but I wanted to lay out my thinking and gather input.

My tow vehicle is a 2011 F-150 Lariat 5.0 V8 Super Crew, 4x2, 145" WB, 3.55 gears, 6 speed auto transmission, max towing package, with the following specs (taken right from the Ford website/brochure here, last page):
  • Truck GVWR: 7,100
    Max Payload: 1,800
    Max loaded trailer weight: 8,000
    Max GCWR: 13,500

My understanding is that with a half-ton pickup, the limiting factor will be payload, not max trailer weight. As such, we are looking at these two trailers:
  • Keystone Passport 2650BH
    Length: 29' 4"
    Dry weight: 4876
    Max cargo: 2324
    Hitch weight: 540 (not sure how to use this; see below)

and
  • Keystone Bullet 281BHS
    Length: 31' 8"
    Dry weight: 5125
    Max cargo: 2465
    Hitch weight: 590 (not sure how to use this; see below)

I've read that dry weights mean nothing, so I thought I'd estimate the true weight as dry weight + 1500 lbs, which totals to 6376 (passport) and 6625 (bullet).

As for truck payload, let's suppose the 2 adults, 2 small kids, plus all the junk in the cab, plus a full tank of gas weighs in at 750 lbs. That leaves me 1800-750=1050 lbs on the hitch.

Here's where things get more sketchy for me: I've read that you want about 12.5% of the total weight of the trailer on the hitch. How does that number fit in vs. the hitch weights listed above? Also, I was thinking that a WD hitch would weigh 150 lbs and batteries, propane, water (stored on the front of the trailer go toward hitch weight?) would weigh another 100 lbs. So now I'm at 1050-150-100=800 lbs tongue weight left.

Even then,
  • Loaded Passport: 12.5%*6376=797
    Loaded Bullet: 12.5%*6625=828

In retrospect, I guess I am a little surprised that with even this new, pretty nice full sized pick-up, that the real-life numbers tell me these (supposedly "ultra lightweight") travel trailers are, in fact, among the largest/heaviest set ups I can tow. (Assuming of course, that the 12.5% is to be used vs. the listed hitch weight and my other assumptions above hold).

So here are my questions for you veterans:

1. Please critique my thought process, methods of calculation, and estimates here.
2. Do I use the 12.5% of the listed hitch weight number (which is substantially lower) on these set ups?
3. Let me know how "doable" you think these two trailers would be for me.
4. Anything else that I was too green to even know to ask, please send it my way.

Thanks you for taking your time to read and reply!
texasAUtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

#1 ... Your thoughts are dead on correct ... except use the numbers from the door sticker instead of a website.

#2 .... Use the 12 to 13%

#3 ... I think both are doable if loaded properly. JMHO

#4 ..... You seem to be on the right track and concerned with safety. That is a very good start. Now please don't say ... "If I can tow those, Why not bigger???" .... and your estimate of passengers and gear may be a little low. again JMO

Good luck and travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
#1 ... Your thoughts are dead on correct ... except use the numbers from the door sticker instead of a website.

#2 .... Use the 12 to 13%

#3 ... I think both are doable if loaded properly. JMHO

#4 ..... You seem to be on the right track and concerned with safety. That is a very good start. Now please don't say ... "If I can tow those, Why not bigger???" .... and your estimate of passengers and gear may be a little low. again JMO

Good luck and travel safely, Hank
x2, you will be in the upper limits of your capacity but it will be within the limits and figured correctly
Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
texasAUtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
x2, you will be in the upper limits of your capacity but it will be within the limits and figured correctly
Does "upper limits" mean that it will feel like I have a tank back there and be crawling up hills?

I don't expect to run 70 mph, but just am trying to get a feel for things since these two trailers are at the "big" end of what we are considering, and we could step down to something like a 24-26'. Just curious what "real life" would be like in the setups outlined above, say driving from TX to CO.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasAUtiger View Post
Does "upper limits" mean that it will feel like I have a tank back there and be crawling up hills?

I don't expect to run 70 mph, but just am trying to get a feel for things since these two trailers are at the "big" end of what we are considering, and we could step down to something like a 24-26'. Just curious what "real life" would be like in the setups outlined above, say driving from TX to CO.
Do you have the HP and torque specs on the motor? I have no experience with the new 5.0L. As with any large 3+ ton box hooked to the back of a truck you will know it is there. Modern smallblock motors make their power by turning RPM's so it will need to spin up going up hills but that is what it is supposed to do. A lower rear gear would help some but is not as important as it was when we only had 3 and 4 speed transmissions. The 6 speed will make it comfortable for pulling from a stop. BTW I was glad to see Ford bring back the 5.0L and I hear nothing but good things about it.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #6
SteveC7010

I'm with Hank and Gypsy on this. Either trailer looks just fine for your tow vehicle, and all the comments from them pretty much tell the whole story.

I don't feel that there is any significant different between the two trailers for you to worry about. If you like one better than the other, you'll be OK.

Big cheer to you for doing your homework and coming up with some very realistic answers.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
I'm with Hank and Gypsy on this. Either trailer looks just fine for your tow vehicle, and all the comments from them pretty much tell the whole story.

I don't feel that there is any significant different between the two trailers for you to worry about. If you like one better than the other, you'll be OK.

Big cheer to you for doing your homework and coming up with some very realistic answers.
X2, so many people rush into to this without doing the research and make a huge and costly mistake. When your families safety is at stake you have to do it right the first time!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
texasAUtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
Do you have the HP and torque specs on the motor?
Horsepower: 360 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 380 @ 4250 rpm

I've had the truck for 5 months, but haven't towed with it. My father-in-law has though and says the new 6 speed transmissions make all the difference in the world. He, too, loves the 5.0.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
fla-gypsy

The torque is a little on the lower side but I do not think it is a big problem. It will turn some RPM's up hills but it is designed to do that especially with a 6 speed auto and is computer controlled not to go to high. Let us know how it works out.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
depshrink

Let me present a different viewpoint. First of all, the listed towing capacity is BS. It's based on the curb weight of the truck as it leaves the factory. No options no occupants no gas no nothing. Try this: take your GCWR subtract the GVWR. Now multiply by .8. That will give you are realistic weight you can safely tow. Using your stats I figure 5120 is a good weight for you. 6400 pounds would be 100 percent and would be a struggle. 8000 pounds would be crazy dangerous. I just traded a half ton truck with a "towing capacity" of 9600 pounds. My RV had a dry weight of 6400 and a GVWR of 8500. The truck had a Gcvw of 15000 and a GVWR of 7000 pounds. My sweet spot was 6400 pounds. The Rv felt great towing it back from the dealer empty. However once I loaded up a bit towing it became more of a struggle. I traded up to a 3/4 ton. Now my sweet spot is around the GVWR of the rv. I wouldn't dare attempt to tow anywhere near the advertised towing capacity of 13000 pounds for the 3/4 ton. These ratings are misleading at the least and in my opinion should be made to represent the actual safe towing capacity of the vehicle.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
2011 keystone

HI and welcome to the group

I am a bigger is better guy when it come to towing.
But with the numbers you have I think you will be fine with either of the too
TT you are looking at. It will be some what slower going up the mountains but that will just give you more time to enjoy the trip.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
jaydeb

We just bought the 2650BH 2 weeks ago and have pulled it on short trips but don't have any problems. We have a 2006 Chevy half ton extended cab 4WD Z71. A lot different from our old popup that we traded in but seems to work fine. Going to the Smokies in a few weeks will find out more then!
jaydeb is offline   Reply With Quote