Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
E597283

Adding a Second Battery

I just purchased a 2011 Passport 2910BH which came standard with one 12v battery. When I put it in storage (I dont store at my house) for 2 weeks or so the battery goes dead. I was thinking of adding another one not just for this but for longer dry camping. Is this an easy process. Is it worth it. Whats the diference between car batteries and Marine/RV ones?
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by E597283 View Post
I just purchased a 2011 Passport 2910BH which came standard with one 12v battery. When I put it in storage (I dont store at my house) for 2 weeks or so the battery goes dead. I was thinking of adding another one not just for this but for longer dry camping. Is this an easy process. Is it worth it. Whats the diference between car batteries and Marine/RV ones?
Marine/RV deep cycle batteries are designed so they can be run down often and recharged quickly without damage. As for your battery going dead in storage you might want to consider a disconnect switch to turn off everything. If you do a forum search for "disconnect switch" you should find many posts about them.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Terrydactile

Your battery is going dead in that short time from a residual draw from things such as the radio and propane detector. Like posted above if you have/add a disconnect switch you can prevent this draw, or you can disconnect the battery.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
mhs4771

Have had dual batteries on our past 2 TT and now on our 5er. Ditto the fact that there is some 12V draw all the time. Even if you rig has a built-in Battery disconnect, it might not disconnect everything. A second battery will pospone going dead, but if stored long enough both will be dead. Battery disconnect switch, avail at most Auto Parts stores. Goes right on the battery between the post and cable, will shut everything down.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
THedges

Very easy, if you are going with two 12v batteries connect positive to positive and negative to negative.

If you go with two 6v golf cart batteries connect positive lead from trailer to positive post on one battery then the negative on that battery is connected to the positive on the second battery and the the negative lead from the trailer connects to the negative post on the second battery. This is my setup and I am very pleased with it.

I would definitely go with a deep cycle battery.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote