Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
DrkNite

Is Inverter running

Ok so I did some looking through the site and could not quite find what I was looking for.

We bought a new to us 2008 Cougar 292 RKS

Problem is battery was dead, TV would not lower the landing gear had to put a booster pack to get them down. Drove for 2 hours, still not enough battery to lower the legs, some but not much power. Plugged in to 120 and the legs go down not problem, slides move out. Had it plugged in for 6 hours. Battery showed 3/4 charge but soon as I so much as ran some lights the battery dropped by 1/4. Now when I turned on the 12v lights I could hear the inverter kick in while we were plugged in to the 120. Which from my understanding si exactly what should happen. At least in our old one it did, you could hear the inverter all the time you were plugged in as it trickle charged the battery.

So I changed the battery the next day gauge reads 3/4 and plugged back in to 120, tried some lights now and again been in and out of it all day and have not heard the inverter once.

The manual states it is a 3 mode inverter, Absorption, Bulk and Float. I don't know if that means anything at all but thats what it is.
I understand that the clock pulls power, the LP detector pulls power and can see that there is a draw when I connected the new battery due to the spark.
Thats fine but if the inverter is not charging the battery when plugged into power thats an issue.

THE question is, should I be hearing this inverter or is it because it is a newer one I just don't hear it even though it is still trickle charging.

Oh and yes I am installing a battery cut off, it will make life easier.
DrkNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

We have the same year Cougar differing only in length. If my memory serves me correctly, the only time I notice the inverter "running" is when we use a certain number of the lights - other than that, I don't recall any noticeable noise or hum.
The battery indicator (holding tank indicator, etc.) readout, also will always read fully charged when plugged in to shore power but will gives a better indication of its state of charge when not plugged in.
I do not hear my inverter under most conditions and it is keeping the battery charged.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
DrkNite

Took the unit to our local rv dealer and had them have a look. It seems my black wire on the 7 pin in the truck had a blown fuse, probably when I hooked up to the bad battery. Replaced fuse and now works. They hooked up to the inverter and ran a load test and all is good.

Picked up a battery cut off switch

and put it into a rigid pvc square electric box which will mount to the back wall with 2 screws. Should be problem solved