Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
The Sunflowers

Audio/TV electronics missing from trailer

In 2 weeks we take delivery of a 2005 Montana 3400rl. The previous owner obviously had installed a flat panel TV (there's a 2x4 brace with screw holes in the middle of the TV opening) and took that along with all other electronics when they traded the unit (or it was stripped when confiscated at bankruptcy, or ...).

Anyway, all that is left are the built-in speakers and a tangle of wires.

Out of curiosity, what came with the trailer originally?

More importantly, what would you suggest to put in place to go with whatever LCD TV we eventually buy? I've shot the budget (plus a bit) getting the truck (F350 diesel dually) and trailer and will probably have to do without TV for a while, unless there is some VERY INEXPENSIVE solution!

I'm new to this forum but not to forums or RVing. DW and I have been RVing for about 25 years through (in no particular order) 3 pop-ups, one 5th wheel and a small Class C. Now we are finally back into a 5er and it looks like it is the trailer of our dreams!
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Bob Landry

Unless you just have to have a custom system with surround sound, I would go to Best Buy or one of the other electronic houses and look for a shelf model or closeout. I picked up a 22" Tosiba for a couple of hundred bucks that did fine for us in the first trailer. My Outback came with a TV, so I'll probably use this one in the stick house bedroom, or just keep it as a spare.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
The Sunflowers

Shelf model what? I'm thinking of a 32" Vizio or other good size quality TV as soon as I can afford it. I'll mount it so it overlaps the frame of the TV opening instead of sitting inside the opening to allow me to have a wider, taller screen.

Once our son leaves home next month making us empty nesters, we will be able to afford some luxuries such as good electronics in the trailer! Because of our visa situation in the US my son can't work, so I have to pay for his auto insurance, give him money for gas, etc., pay his tuition and books, food, water, electricity, etc. I figure it comes to something in the range of $700-800 per month that I'll save with him out on his own.

The down side is he falls out from under my US work visa and has to go back to Canada even though he has been here 14 years, going from grade 1 through to completing 2 years of college!

Sorry for the topic drift. What are people using to do surround decoding and drive those built-in speakers? Or are people replacing the speakers with something better?

I'd still like to know what the original electronics were.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
Jim W

Hi, I do not know if you checked out this site. http://montanaowners.com/
Since this is mainly for Montana owners, someone who has a 05 model like yours might be able to respond to what was in the trailer as original equipment.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
The Sunflowers

Thanks Jim. I didn't know about that site. I'll head over there now.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
cdevill

Our Springdale has one of these Jensen units in it and I love it. It's hooked up to a 26" Sony LCD. It has 3 speaker outputs (one outside), CD, DVD, AM/FM, USB, IPOD, alarm clock. I think I'd get one of these to put in the man cave and biuld it into the bar.

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen...nt-stereo.html
Old 05-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
cumminsdad08

craigs list. i picked up a flat screen/ dvd combo, 3 months old, 40 bucks. its not the greatest, but it will hold me over till fathers day (i am hoping anyway) and mine has a built in jenson radio/cd player
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, surround sound, television