Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Paddler

Wireless backup cameras

Has anyone had any luck with the wireless backup cameras mounted on the rear of their RV? I tried one a couple years ago that was rated at 50 ft and it didn't get the job done. Now I'm seeing ads for wireless cameras that are rated to 150 ft (unobstructed). Any success stories out there?
Old 05-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

I just ordered a Pyle PLCM34WIR wireless cam from Beachaudio.com for $90 incl shipping. I had looked at the one on sale in the CW flyer on sale for $150.

CW model had a 2.4 inch screen whereas the Pyle has a 3.5 inch. It has a license plate mount. I plan on mounting above the back window so I can hitch up without hiking myself up in the seat and breaking my neck to see into the bed.

I'll do a follow up post when I get it installed. It certainly looks like a much better deal than the CW.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
DrkNite

I have not had any luck with wireless cameras and I would like ot have a good one for backing the 5th into a stall or to see the boat when its behind the trailer. So I am going with a wired wide angle IR color camera mounted up top of the 5th and one on the back of the truck. Plugging them into a 7 inch TFT. There should be no issue seeing them. With use water tight tape and the connectors and then mounting a connector box on the cabside box to connect the cables from the trailer. The wires will run in white 1/2 telco channel 3m taped right beside the 5th seem down the back wall to the under belly then up the front to the pin box and down into the truck box.

At any rate thats my solution.
DrkNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
Johnnyfry

Wireless cam

Of course, wired is always better from several standpoints, reliability, interference, etc.

In my particular case I am going about 5 feet so, hopefully, I can avoid those problems. For a camera at the back of the 5er I would definitely go wired.

Now, if I could just figure out how to wire it into the nav screen on my Dodge...

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote