Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #21
andyrad

We bought a F350 SRW and it does squat with an Alpine 3450RL with a kingpin weight of 2240. We do get quite a bit of frost heave on threads up here and I am always getting flashed about my bright headlights while driving at night so I installed airbags. Best thing I have done for towing by far. It just helps that much more to reduce possible damage from the suspension bottoming out and transferring the hit to the RV frame. It also tows better. The truck is far from overloaded and can easily handle the RV but the airbags I would say are a must. Go 1 ton and don't look back. DRW is just too wide if you ever have to head into the city.
andyrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #22
Ken / Claudia

I had air bags on a f250 to level the load with a truck camper. When I got the f350 thinking they were needed I added them on it. Well I did not need them until a got a bigger boat. But, what is nice is being able the adjust the ride. With the truck camper on, the whole truck front and rear is lower and the overload springs carrying weight. 2 things happen less travel and harder ride. Yes that what the overloads are made for. Over inflate and to much bounce. I found inflating so some weight was just putting some on the overload springs the ride was best.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad View Post
DRW is just too wide if you ever have to head into the city.
Can't disagree more with this statement. I've towed through/driven through many major cities with my DRW including Vegas, Sacramento, LA/Pomona, Denver, Chicago...the list goes on. DRW isn't that big of a difference.. It isn't any wider than the mirrors, but I understand that some people get a little intimidated by the size. When we first bought ours, my wife wouldn't drive it, now she takes it all the time. Last year she drove it to Phoenix and was complimented on how well she got around town through the traffic and how easily she parked it. It just takes a little getting used to.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:47 AM   #24
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Can't disagree more with this statement. I've towed through/driven through many major cities with my DRW including Vegas, Sacramento, LA/Pomona, Denver, Chicago...the list goes on. DRW isn't that big of a difference.. It isn't any wider than the mirrors, but I understand that some people get a little intimidated by the size. When we first bought ours, my wife wouldn't drive it, now she takes it all the time. Last year she drove it to Phoenix and was complimented on how well she got around town through the traffic and how easily she parked it. It just takes a little getting used to.
X2

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:36 AM   #25
1jeep

I just went from a 2011 f250 crew cab long bed to a f350 dually crew cab with the heavy tow package that has the wider front axle. Even my wife has been impressed with how much better this truck turns compared to our old one and we have yet to not find a parking spot for her. She is my daily driver and as like the previous truck fits in the parking garage at work also.

I have no regrets going dually!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #26
andyrad

Im sure it is a better tow vehicle for heavy pin weights but the mirrors are not what needs to fit between the lines on our skinny stalls in the city. Calgary has the country's highest price for parking so you can bet they are going to squeeze as many spots as they can on an acre of pavement.
andyrad is offline   Reply With Quote