Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
watson

Smile food in the camper

Does anyone leave their boxed goods and canned goods in their trailers in between outings? I remove all opened stuff and empty frig out. It does get hot in there when we are not on the road but hate removing everything when leaving again in a week. Advise is good.
Thanks
Watsons
watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
byrdr1

because my camper is in my yard I leave anything that is not opened in it year round. I only take out the opened food stuff.
I leave frig on too. I leave drinks and water in there so if I am outside I can get into camper and get a drink or what ever might be left in there.
Opened and/or perishable I remove it, otherwise it stays.
Just me!
randy
PS my camper is 25 feet from my house so that helps.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #3
x96mnn

Only time mine is cleared out is winter storage. I will take items home with me that could be spoiled by our next trip, other then that it stays locked and loaded.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Mine is in the back yard too. Only perishable items come out. I don't keep the refer going though but it is plugged in. I check battery water level regularly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
GaryWT

Everything stays and we ready to go whenever. Fridge is loaded, shopped on Sunday and food is there already for Friday when we leave. Just have to get rolls and the like Thurs night. Clothes and towels get washed and returned back in so we are ready there as well. The only thing we have to watch for, if we run out of something in the house we will "shop" in the trailer so we have to remember to replace an item that we might have used during the week. A few things might come out when we get home on a Sunday like rolls or hambergers and hot dogs if we are having them for lunch or dinner that day.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #6
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Clothes and towels get washed and returned back in so we are ready there as well. The only thing we have to watch for, if we run out of something in the house we will "shop" in the trailer so we have to remember to replace an item that we might have used during the week. .
We do the same thing

We leave the A/C set on around 85 so it doesn't get too hot, but we do empty the fridge & bring in any open food. Canned food & unopened boxed stuff stays between trips.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
hoffbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Mine is in the back yard too. Only perishable items come out. I don't keep the refer going though but it is plugged in. I check battery water level regularly.
This is what I do as well.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
KanTC

Ours is in the back yard too - only perishables & opened items are removed! Linens/etc are washed/returned, items replenished as needed & RV stays ready year-round
(winter weather permitting, of course). NOTE: if you live (or store your RV) where MICE might be a problem, boxed food items can attract critters.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
Ours is in the back yard too - only perishables & opened items are removed! Linens/etc are washed/returned, items replenished as needed & RV stays ready year-round
(winter weather permitting, of course). NOTE: if you live (or store your RV) where MICE might be a problem, boxed food items can attract critters.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
we do have a complete set of linens and towels in the camper. We keep most of the beach stuff in the camper as this is the only time we go beach is with the camper.
When we upgraded we cleaned a lot of stuff out of the old camper and never placed it back into the new one. BUT we can live in the camper without much work as far as household items goes. double everything from kitchen to bathrooms(got two TV's, DVDs, surround sound stereo, etc.)in there too. I was packing clothes for an upcoming trip and found a 4 pack of FOTL
t-shirts never opened in the camper.
The "power that is" washes towels, linens and such and I place them back into camper. I might have paid the price for running the frig a lot this year by replacing the frig control board after only 3 years of using it. BUT that was an easy fix for my friend who reinstalled it.
SO having it stored at home has its advantages.
Enjoy that camper and Camp ON!
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
crash

We do the same bring in all open foods and when we run out in the stick house we shop in the camper just replace before next trip,Locked and Load
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
Bombfixer

My rig is parked in my driveway at home. It is hooked up to power while parked. I keep the rig packed, clothes, food, extra ammunition, etc. All I have to do is grab my bug out bag from the house and some of the perishable items in the house fridge, hook up and be gone in less than 20 min.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
vampress_me

I leave everything in the pantry that wouldn't spoil, but learned the hard way not to leave your Hostess HoHos in there in hot weather. My kids are banned from trying to eat them now in the camper. They leave an unholy mess from trying to peel the chocolate "skin" off the plastic wrapper since it must have melted at some point during the week...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #13
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
We do the same bring in all open foods and when we run out in the stick house we shop in the camper just replace before next trip,Locked and Load
We do the same....almost.

Our typical variation is to "borrow" stuff from the camper and FORGET to replace it
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #14
rjsurfer

We keep are camper loaded with non perishable food, at least 40 gallons of water, extra propane and clothes. If the SHTF happens we are ready to go....I'm not talking Zombie attack or government overthrow but simple precautions for living on an island. A hurricane, tornado or flooding is our concern.

We also keep the truck filled with diesel, plus a 5 gallon spare can, 12 gauge, bug out bag, Honda generator and plenty of gas to feed it.

Everyone should take advantage of their camper in this way. There isn't a location in the USA that doesn't have eminent natural disasters ready to bite us.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote