Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Htfiremedic

Switched from Direct to Dish

We took the plunge and switched to Dish. Direct lost THe Weather Channel, jacked my bill up $60 a month and couldn't tell me which package I had. Their customs service was poop!
We called Dish and the nice sales lady set us up with our new equipment and service. The Technician came out to install the equipment and as I showed him three rooms inside, I said that the last box was going in my 5er. He stopped in his tracks and had a look of confusion on his face. He said that if we planned to use it while we were camping we would need a LOT of cable. The nice lady had speced the wrong box. He said I have a plan!
We called dish and after speaking with a few English as a second languagers we had the problem solved. They only wanted $125 for the box. I told them to undo the techs handy work and I'd stay with Direct.
They decided that I was serious and gave me a box, a tripod, a dish, and the cable to attach it.
The spare dish and tripod were a nice touch, I thought. I already have the Roadtrip MiniMax in on the roof and works WELL!
So far, despite the confusion, Dish seems a bit better than Direct for satisfaction.

Sent from my iPhone
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Sherwood

Glad you have better luck than I did. After over 5 years with DirecTV, I got tricked into switching to Dish from a third party installer. After only 8 months of service that included their equipment not working with a couple of my favorite channels, I finally got fed up because they could/would not fix it and canceled my service and went back to DirecTV. So glad I did. They even gave me back my early termination fee's from when I went to Dish and gave me a GenieGo for $50 off and gave me the new customer pricing and plans. Plus I like DirecTV's features much better.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
bsmith0404

I switched from Direct to Dish a few year back because Direct wanted to charge me $200 to upgrade my system. They had adds on TV to do it for free, but that was only for new customers. Apparently they were only interested in attracting new customers, not keeping existing ones. My friend did the exact opposite going from Dish to Direct for the EXACT same reason within a week of my experience. IMO, they are both the same. Other than the look of the guide and some channel line-ups, I didn't notice a difference in service. I've since switched to cable, but will eventually have to bite the bullet and go back to one of them when we start to full time in our 5er. Right now we don't watch much TV in it anyway.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:04 AM   #4
TandE

I just upgraded my directv system at home cause we didn't have HD service. I was shocked when I called and all they wanted to charge me for was 20 bucks for the installation. New reciever and dish was free. Not even 6 months before that they wanted 200 just to get the reciever and then the install fees. I guess they finally listened to their customers.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote