Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
AlbertaRvMan

Gas Station

Hello,
My family and I are looking at buying a premier 31BHPR TT.

I am nervous / concerned about going to gas stations with this massive trailer behind me.

I would almost consider disconnecting the trailer on a safe location, then gas up and reconnect, I'm sure that will be a pain and delay us...

Maybe I'll always carry a large gas container with me and keep it full. Sounds dangerous with fumes....

Any advice on entering gas stations?

Our TV is a Yukon XL SLT. It's not good on gas, so I imagine I'll be filling up a lot.

Thank you.
AlbertaRvMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=AlbertaRvMan;115110]Hello,

I am nervous / concerned about going to gas stations with this massive trailer behind me.
I would almost consider disconnecting the trailer on a safe location, then gas up and reconnect, I'm sure that will be a pain and delay us...
Maybe I'll always carry a large gas container with me and keep it full. Sounds dangerous with fumes....
Any advice on entering gas stations?

QUOTE]

If you are new to RVing and towing, being "nervous and concerned" about entering gas stations for the first few times is a natural and expected reaction.

Most fuel stations that you find along major highways are "large" enough to accommodate long RV's so finding a pump that you can get at isn't usually a problem. The gas stations found in the urban sections of towns and cities may not be quite as easy to enter and exit but, if you can slow down enough before you commit yourself to enter, you can get a pretty good idea of how convenient it is to gas up there.

Almost all GPS's have a function to locate gas stations and you can download gas station apps as a backup.

If you do pull into a station and you find it too tight for your liking, then there is usually a fairly easy way out without having to stop. - just have a close look and keep on going.

Truck stops, like Flying J or something similar, are a pretty safe bet - you shouldn't have any trouble with these.

If you have a small fuel tank, fuel up often and don't wait until you are running on fumes and you have to find a gas station right now. This creates added stress and you may not be able to "pick and choose" which one can accommodate your rig.

Carrying a small, portable fuel can is always a good idea "just in case". It doesn't have to be large- just large enough to carry enough fuel to get you to the nearest station.

Pulling off the road, unhitching, taking only the tow vehicle and leaving the TT behind may not be such a good idea. Sometimes, there is no real, safe place to pull off the road and park your RV. You can't do this just anywhere and leaving it in a strange city or place unattended may not be advisable either.

Fuelling up enroute is part of travelling with an RV and something that the owner/driver should learn how to do. I really don't see how you can avoid doing this without having to put up with a lot of extra and unnecessary inconvenience.

It's not that hard. You can do it.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
MarkS

Along the expressways you can usually find stations that are big enough. If it looks tight, look for the next one. We do carry a 5 gallon fuel tank in the back of the truck. Never had to use it though.

We typically fill the truck after we make camp. On the road, we frequently eat out for dinner or need to buy supplies, so this is not an inconvenience. That way we start the next day with a full tank.

You can adjust your planned mileage so that you only need to fill up once or twice on the road. We can easily get 300 miles on a tank, and we plan for 500 miles a day. So, we fill up when we stop for lunch.

If I see a easy in/out station I will stop earlier. If I know I am going through a area where stations are less frequent, I'll stop early.

There is a book called 'The Next Exit'. They list RV Friendly Gas Stations.

Just takes a little more planning.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
crash

I use the bigger truck stop stations and keep a book with them all wrote down with name ,exit number and how easy it was to get in and out . I always fill up at the campground before hooking up to leave , that way when you leave the campground you dont have to stop.Just my 2 cents
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

AlbertaRVman. I think once you pull your trailer for a couple hundred miles and negotiate a gas station fueling island once or twice, you'll feel much more comfortable and not think twice about judging whether you will fit or not. If there's any question on the first few refuelings, just keep on going to the next station. No need to get overstressed or worse, to try to jockey into a "too tight" spot and damage something or get stuck and frustrated.

Once you've done it a couple of times, you'll feel better about where you'll fit and where you won't. After several more, you'll be thinking, "Why was I worried?" and life will be good..... Just watch what you're doing at first, remember your height, (probably about 11') and make sure you've got clearance to turn into where you're going.

All truck stops and most interstate gas stations have lanes "wide enough" and "straight in" enough for most RV's. Remember, there are some 5 ton and bigger gas trucks (think the big UHaul trucks and delivery trucks) that also have to fit under that overhang to get to the gas pumps, so most awnings are up there far enough you'll fit too. Just know your numbers and if in doubt, let your DW get out to spot for you. Better to "think" (they probably aren't) that people are laughing at you than to hit something and "KNOW" they are !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
AlbertaRvMan

Thanks!

Hey guys/ gals,

Thanks for the great advice. My confidence is higher. I appreciate it!
AlbertaRvMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
GaryWT

I have only had to stop a couple times, once after filling I had to walk around to find the best way to exit. For the most part we have not taken that long of trips or plan our stops so we can check into a campground then go out and fill up before we hook up again. This works when there are 2 or 3 of us so we do not clog up the entire gas station.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
jsmith948

All good advice - allow me to add one more. If you are not absolutely CERTAIN that you have the needed clearance to make your turn, get out and look. It only takes a minute. Sometimes people can be very impatient. Don't allow yourself to be stampeded - let them wait - they'll get over it. Take the time you need to be sure you clear the obstacle. Way better than damaging your trailer by hitting something

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
canesfan

x2 what jsmith948 posted.

Don't get in a hurry, nervous, or impatient, that's when you screw things up.

I had to back out of a gas station once, long story, not my fault, people dealt with it.

I also had to back INTO a gas station recently. Partially my fault for not stopping sooner and the diesel pumps couldn't have been gotten to with truck and trailer any other way. Once again, people dealt with it.

Now I don't suggest putting others out, but sometimes things happen and then everyone just has to deal with it. Most people are understanding and even try to help (which may or may not be a good thing). Just take your time and use common sense. You'll be fine after you do it once or twice.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

When I started out, which was not long ago, one experienced RVer said if you remember nothing about all I have said remember this one "Do not pull into any where without knowing how you are going to get out" As others have said do not be rushed, they can wait
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #11
BC Canada

If you are worried why not go to place that teaches truck drivers, I am sure they would give you a few lessons in your own truck and trailer (for a fee of course) they would probably have some really good tips as well.
My hubby is a truck driver and sees all kinds of people with huge travel trailers, 5th wheels and motorhomes that don't know how to drive them.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
rschad

One other thing I have started doing is stopping just before I get to the pumps and jumping in the trailer and turning off the propane fridge, just to be safe. Then after fuelling I pull away from the pumps and turn the fridge back on. Most gas stations that you will use have enough entrance and exit space to do this.

I pull a 34'3" vantage trailer with a ford expedition so the size is much like your rig. Gassing up isn't a problem and you will get plenty of practice.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
bsmith0404

As stated previously, most truck stops along the highway will have through lanes that allow you room to pull straight in, straight out and either out the exit or around the building to a parking area. Probably something you never paid much attention to before, but now that you're thinking about it, I'm sure you'll notice.

You will be stopping a lot, not sure if you have the 5.3 or 6.0 motor, but when you get that much trailer behind you with either, expect to get about 8 mpg's (speaking from experience). With the 31 gallon tank you are looking at 250 miles max and realistically plan to stop about every 150 just to be safe. It always feels better when you have a full tank vs. getting low and wondering when that next gas station will come up. For trip planning purposes, I'd be looking at the 150 mark.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
Outbackmel

All great gas station advice

Of GREAT importance is your confidence and ability to BACK UP IN TIGHT PLACES....practice and follow your plan. You WILL get boxed in; you WILL have people in front of you that their vehicle becomes inoperable (even at rv pumps) you WILL encounter tight quarters and closed pumps, etc....

If you are going to travel, these will occur, count on them. I have been running around a lot since retirement 3+ years ago and had the same fears. HAD is the operative word. Confidence and assessing the exit and a strategy works every time. The last time I was stuck a guy with a $700,000 Newell and a towed Mercedes would not start! I was forced to back all the way out of the rv pump area and go to another station. Do not panic...
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #15
canesfan

x2 what Outbackmel posted. That was part of the point I was trying to make earlier.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
denverpilot

Just don't panic like this "professional" who looks like he had enough room to back up, and you'll do fine... ;-)

Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #17
Sduff

If I may add my 2 cents. We use hand held radios, always navigate with a spotter. one person outside the vehicle helps with traffic as well when the driver is communicating with the spotter. Other motorists get upset when it looks like the driver needs help and no one is there to provide it. One other thing, always swing wide watching curbs and gas pump islands. You will do just fine... Happy camping.

Steve
USAF Retired '96
Land of Lincoln

2013 Laredo 294RK
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 (max tow package)
2013 Passport 2890RL (2003 Chevy Silverado LS ext cab)
1968 King Camper Popup
2008 Honda GoldWing/pulling a Aluma MCTXL cargo trailer
Sduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
fred1609

Out west there are not that many flying Js.....I generally don't travel more than 250 miles at the most.....usually less. Anyways my point is there haven't been to many times we had to pull into a gas station, but when I did I pulled into the ones close to the highway......Pacific Pride, loves cater to the trucker with great access. We pull a 37' 5er and haven't had an issue to date.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #19
Jim Dow

Auxilliary Fuel Tank

I am nervous about running low on fuel and not being able to find a suitable supply station.

Therefore, I added a 35 gam aux-tank with toolbox to my truck bed.

If necessary, I hope to find a good level open parking lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TruckToolboxHoist.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	5351  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
trucker LOU

Always remember "GOAL" ,get out and look.---Lou---
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote