Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
ChateauED

2 Grey Water Tanks - Not one as Dealer had said!

When we were doing our walkthrough prior to delivery my husband was looking under the rv and noticed a 3rd tank. However, in the "water works" center, there were only 2 levers to pull to empty the tanks. That would be one for grey, and one for black. He mentioned the third tank and was told "there are only two tanks, one for black and one for grey". After setting up our RV on our property, and examining further there is indeed a third tank and the release lever is nowhere near the "water works" area where the other levers are located. The lever is on the back side in the rear, behind the rear tire well. This is the lever that drains the grey water from the tank that holds the water from the kitchen sink. Just FYI....

2013 Alpine 3555rl
ChateauED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
suza

Our 279RKS also has this lever. Keystone really should have labeled it as such. We discovered there was a 2nd grey tank by the indicator light on the control panel labeled "Galley", and found the lever by searching the perimeter of exterior. Our question was, where does this tank drain? Into the black tank or the bathroom grey tank? Couldn't find this info anywhere in the manual. Wondering what order to pull the levers - Black, galley grey, then bathroom grey makes the most sense. What do others do?

Maybe we missed something, but this seems to me like another case of Keystone keeping the customer "in the dark".

With so many variations from unit to unit, I think the dealer should offer a follow-up training after new owners have had their RV out a time or two. It would certainly save them a lot of annoying phone calls.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post

With so many variations from unit to unit, I think the dealer should offer a follow-up training after new owners have had their RV out a time or two. It would certainly save them a lot of annoying phone calls.
Susan -
The problem is, as ChateauED discovered, that some dealers or their staff do not have a thorough understanding of the disposal system found on the various models of RV's sitting on their lot. As you pointed out, they are not all the same and are configured differently depending upon the year and model.

This is why a buyer needs to ask the right questions and know what to look for before they drive off with their new RV in tow. IF the folks at the dealership know their units and the customer does a thorough PDI check, these kinds of frustrations should not happen.

When discussing the various tanks and pull valves, the customer should ask how many tanks there are, their location, where and how they drain, where all the pull valves are located and ensure that they are properly labeled. Ask for a demo using fresh clear water that has been dumped into each system/tank.

If the guy who is doing the walk-through with you seems the least bit hesitant or vague when answering your questions, ask for another tech to come out.

The key is to go into the dealership thoroughly prepared and ask the right questions and have someone who knows what they are talking about answer them correctly for you. I know, it's easier said than done.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
diugo
Permanent User Ban

On my trailer, the galley tank drains directly into the main drain line, just behind the cap. I promptly added a fourth twist-on master valve (Valterra T58) so that I can quickly backflush the black tank with gray water from the shower.

So my draining sequence is: open master, open black, drain, close master, open shower gray, backflush, open master, drain, open galley gray, drain, close black, close both grays, close master.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Susan -
The problem is, as ChateauED discovered, that some dealers or their staff do not have a thorough understanding of the disposal system found on the various models of RV's sitting on their lot. As you pointed out, they are not all the same and are configured differently depending upon the year and model.

This is why a buyer needs to ask the right questions and know what to look for before they drive off with their new RV in tow. IF the folks at the dealership know their units and the customer does a thorough PDI check, these kinds of frustrations should not happen.

When discussing the various tanks and pull valves, the customer should ask how many tanks there are, their location, where and how they drain, where all the pull valves are located and ensure that they are properly labeled. Ask for a demo using fresh clear water that has been dumped into each system/tank.

If the guy who is doing the walk-through with you seems the least bit hesitant or vague when answering your questions, ask for another tech to come out.

The key is to go into the dealership thoroughly prepared and ask the right questions and have someone who knows what they are talking about answer them correctly for you. I know, it's easier said than done.
All well, in theory, but do you remember the "deer in the headlights" feeling when you purchased your first RV

I agree, that the dealers don't always have a thorough understanding of the disposal system found on the various models of RV's sitting on their lot. Case in point: We thought we knew where the drain for the fresh water tank was. The first time we went to drain it, we were confused because the outlet pipe was red, so we thought "hot water". Wrong. After calling the tech, who had to go out and check several units on the lot, an hour later, someone who was more savvy called back and said, that was it. Seems the color meant nothing. Would building codes permit a plumber to use red Pex for cold water I think not. Keystone must have had a surplus of red hose, or the installer was color blind - LOL
Oh, the joys of RV ownership. But, then, it beats camping in a tent
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
On my trailer, the galley tank drains directly into the main drain line, just behind the cap. I promptly added a fourth twist-on master valve (Valterra T58) so that I can quickly backflush the black tank with gray water from the shower.

So my draining sequence is: open master, open black, drain, close master, open shower gray, backflush, open master, drain, open galley gray, drain, close black, close both grays, close master.
Thanks, diugo
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Jim Dow

Second Grey Water Tank???

It happened to me too. Dealer said "one grey/one black tank".

When I called to tell him my sink was overflowing, he said "Bring it in under extended warranty; and we will fix it." Neither the dealer salesman not the maintenance supervisor could tell me where the second grey tank flush valve was located on my trailer. But, then again, maybe he did know what he was doing.

I looked and looked and finally found an unlabeled handle that looked like a flush valve handle in front of the driver's side front wheel - black and definitely hidden. I pulled it and voilla, the sink drained.

By the way, not all of us know what the "right questions" are when we are buying a new camper. But then again, as long as nobody gets hurt, that's part of the fun!
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
theeyres

That second gray water drain is the pits! I don't know why Keystone didn't just connect both gray water tanks or tie it all together into one tank. It makes draining a whole lot more difficult just to save Keystone a few $$. And none of the written info mentions two tanks. I still don't know if the total gallons is for both tanks combined or for just the main one. Nothing, anywhere, talks about it.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
fred1609

If I were to guess I would think it has something to do with managing the weight of liquids. Those who boondock might leave their site with full tanks and that might be problematic if all the tanks were located at one end of the rig (water is about 7.5 lbs per sq foot per gallon) JMO
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Part is management of weight, part is being able to tuck large quantities of water storage in available spaces (it's easier to build in two smaller tanks than make space for one large one), part is cost and part is to make the RV as "efficient" as possible by not storing all the waste in one space. There were times (not long ago) when RV's had no tanks, then came the innoviation of one small black tank. Next came putting all the waste water into that black tank and making it bigger, then came the realization that gray water could be dumped on the ground in some areas, so separate tanks and now evolution continues with mulitple tanks both in black and in gray water storage.

If the two gray tanks were plumbed to one valve, the drain lines would have to still be on a "drain slope" which means they would have to be exposed below the coroplast. Not a good idea for cold weather camping... So, two valves, tucked up inside to keep all waterfilled lines warm makes sense to me. I'd prefer not to have water in the drain lines with a valve on the end of the dump connection. That would make it hard to dump on very cold days like deer hunting camp.

No matter what tank system you have, it's not pleasant to dump, but is a necessary evil we pay for the convenince of having living facilities in our RV. My only beef (if you can call it a beef) is that all the manufacturers tend to put the gray water tank valves next to the tank. That means some pull handles are in awkward locations (like under the middle of the slide). Realistically, even with the galley valve under the slide, if we are dry camping, it will be closed the whole time the slide is out, and if we're using hookups, it will be open the entire time the slide is out. So, as long as I (us) think about how we're using the RV tanks, it's not really a hassle, it's just being "smarter than the tank" in how we set it up when we level and hookup the RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
SAABDOCTOR

hey John that is way too technical!!! think of it this way.Keystone can't get the lables for the tanks right can you just imagine what would happen if they tried to open two tanks at oncebet one will not be grey
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
curlyfungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauED View Post
When we were doing our walkthrough prior to delivery my husband was looking under the rv and noticed a 3rd tank. However, in the "water works" center, there were only 2 levers to pull to empty the tanks. That would be one for grey, and one for black. He mentioned the third tank and was told "there are only two tanks, one for black and one for grey". After setting up our RV on our property, and examining further there is indeed a third tank and the release lever is nowhere near the "water works" area where the other levers are located. The lever is on the back side in the rear, behind the rear tire well. This is the lever that drains the grey water from the tank that holds the water from the kitchen sink. Just FYI....

2013 Alpine 3555rl
Ours has the same set up. We were showed by our salesman.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
LovingRV1031

Same as with our Alpine. The industry has a long way to go (based off our experience) with the walk through. We had a very good salesman, dressed professional, etc., who put us on our Alpine. The day we picked it up, we were expecting the same type experience. However, the walk through was completed by a service technician in greasy uniform, smelled of cigarettes, and did a quick job of letting us know 'everything'.....we are still learning things we were not shown.
LovingRV1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

LovingRV1031 -
Did you, by any chance, take along a Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist with you when you did the walk through? If you didn't have one at the time, you are pretty much at the mercy of the guy that goes through it with you. If he rushes, then the chances are that he is not showing you everything that should be covered. The walk through, a vital part of buying an RV, is not something you want to be hurried through.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
LovingRV1031

Festus2 - It very well could be that we didn't have it in our hands, but it was signed. This is basically our first experience with buying an RV. Prior we had a used Safari Trek Class A from 2001. We had it about 5 months and then upgraded. Lessons learned...
LovingRV1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #16
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRV1031 View Post
Same as with our Alpine. The industry has a long way to go (based off our experience) with the walk through. We had a very good salesman, dressed professional, etc., who put us on our Alpine. The day we picked it up, we were expecting the same type experience. However, the walk through was completed by a service technician in greasy uniform, smelled of cigarettes, and did a quick job of letting us know 'everything'.....we are still learning things we were not shown.
My Cougar walk through was the exact same way---down to the smell

He did, however, point out some stuff I would never have guessed. So in that respect, much better than my previous trailer, where there was no walk through at all. I was still discovering stuff years after that!
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Loriv247

We too were unaware of the second grey tank and discovered the valve by accident when picking up one of our kid's toys. I wish the valve was more accessible but we only have to pull it once usually when we are ready to depart. When dry camping, you can place a plastic bin in your sink to wash your dishes in and then dump that water outside so it doesn't fill up your tank. It's just soapy water so it won't harm anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [
Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriv247 View Post
We too were unaware of the second grey tank and discovered the valve by accident when picking up one of our kid's toys. I wish the valve was more accessible but we only have to pull it once usually when we are ready to depart. When dry camping, you can place a plastic bin in your sink to wash your dishes in and then dump that water outside so it doesn't fill up your tank. It's just soapy water so it won't harm anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [
We do the same with our kitchen sink when dry camping. I like to recycle water and I'm sure the trees and shrubs in the campgrounds appreciate the "drink"

Has anyone determined where the water goes when you pull the valve for the galley tank? Does it flow through the other grey tank or directly to the drain?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=suza;92522]We do the same with our kitchen sink when dry camping. I like to recycle water and I'm sure the trees and shrubs in the campgrounds appreciate the "drink"

QUOTE]

Suza -

There are many campgrounds, especially State, Provincial or county parks that take a dim view of campers who toss their dishwater onto nearby shrubs, bushes or trees. That is why many of them have drains - often located at water taps - that are supposed to be used for washing dishes or dumping dishwater.

Do trees and shrubs really appreciate drinking dishwater that contains soap with sulfates and a myriad of other chemicals, grease and food particles? Just a thought.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
suza

[QUOTE=Festus2;92526]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
We do the same with our kitchen sink when dry camping. I like to recycle water and I'm sure the trees and shrubs in the campgrounds appreciate the "drink"

QUOTE]

Suza -

There are many campgrounds, especially State, Provincial or county parks that take a dim view of campers who toss their dishwater onto nearby shrubs, bushes or trees. That is why many of them have drains - often located at water taps - that are supposed to be used for washing dishes or dumping dishwater.

Do trees and shrubs really appreciate drinking dishwater that contains soap with sulfates and a myriad of other chemicals, grease and food particles? Just a thought.
We do use those drains for "dirty water". I share the rinse water with nature
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS